Type 2 Intermittent fasting and Keto diet?

Starlight712

Hello, As someone who has Type 2 how long should I be fasting for, I see 16hour and others say 8hours? Should I also be alternating days or fasting everyday? As well, what would be a good recommended Keto diet for a male in their 20s.

Thank you

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually eat first at around 3 pm then main meal at 7 pm
When first starting out I'd have lunch at about 1 pm and dinner at 7 so a fast for me lasted about 18 hours with a 6 hour eating window.
Coffee with double cream was (and still is) my crutch during the morning.
I do this still almost every day.

Ketosis is achieved by severe carbohydrate restriction so whatever you can maintain is the best way of eating. These days I find mainly carnivore (animal products only) is the best way for me.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

It is overwhelming at first so a virtual hug.

First of all I suggest that your initial thing is to look at the meals you normally eat and reduce the carbs in them. I personally went very low carb less than. 20 grams a day as I wanted to bring my levels down as quickly as possible and hopefully reduce my insulin resistance.

I suffered the keto flu but after that have found my appetite is much less provided I don't carb creep. When I do I wake the next day starving and it reminds me of the benefits of keto.

I don't eat breakfast for a couple of reasons. I start work early and never found a satisfactory low arb meal to eat for breakfast at work. I then gave it up realise I wasn't hungry and no longer eat breakfast. I sometimes eat lunch as sometimes I'm. watching up with a friend or feel hungry. Other days I don't eat lunch. I do eat dinner. I also have coffee with cream in the mornings and like @bulkbiker it is my crutch.

What @Resurgam said is right. Get a meter and experiment for what works for you.

Good luck and welcome.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Starlight712 and welcome

There are no hard and fast rules, but in principle the longer period of time you spend in the ‘fasted’ state, the shorter your ‘eating window’ and the fewer times you eat, the more improvement you’ll make to your insulin sensitivity.

In terms of a ketogenic eating plan the simplest description would be to eat fresh, unprocessed foods with as few ingredients as possible, to satiety. Eat when you’re hungry and don’t eat if you’re not hungry. In practice this would mean basing your meals on a source of protein and topping up (if desired) on above ground veg.

Personally I tend to eat twice a day, sometimes just once, aiming to eat my last meal no later than 6pm (4pm is better). But I’m an early riser (between 4am and 5.30am), so having a first meal between 12 noon and 1pm means a long fasted period during the day as well as overnight. Like Bulkbiker I eat a mostly carnivore diet based around animal foods.

The dietdoctor.com website has loads of information, including meal plans. Ignore the paid options (unless you want them), you can get the information you need for free.

And yes, a meter is helpful to understand the impact of what you eat on your blood sugars and track progress.

Reactions: oldgreymare

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As others have said, any fasting period is a benefit, longer fasted states offer more benefit than shorter ones but basically, any time you are not eating is a good thing. So stick to mealtimes and try not to snack. But it should not be a difficult thing - as you body adapts and you learn to listen to it and not just slavishly follow those previously-habitual eating patterns, it all becomes easy and natural.

I never eat more than two meals a day, but personally I like to eat quite late in the evening, around 9pm, so my fasting is split into two periods - say 10pm to 12:30, and 13:00 to 21:00. One longer fast would be better but is doesn’t always suit me. I also try to go 2 or 3 days a week just eating dinner, but I do this as and when it feels right and don’t plan it. Yesterday I was pleasantly hungry at 11:30 so I had some lunch. The day before I had a 24hr fast. Both felt fine.

It’s very liberating to be able to eat as and when you are hungry, as much or as little is required to reach satiety. But do ensure you are eating enough and of the right stuff to not suffer cravings or inappropriate hunger.