AM headache

Billy321

Hi, are morning headaches normal?

I’m newly diagnosed type 2, 33 years old. Hb1Ac was 98, but blood sugars readings under control since I’ve changed my diet, but I’m still having terrible headaches in the morning.

Thanks

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What are your blood sugar levels like in the morning?
High or low levels can cause headaches.

It is not uncommon to have higher levels in the morning - this is due to Dawn Phenomenon. There are many threads about this.

Billy321

Thank you for replying much appreciated. Levels were 6 when I woke up and just checked again and they’re 8, so I’m at a loss to explain the headache.

I was diagnosed yesterday, (but changed my diet last week when it dawned on me that something wasn’t right), so I’ve a lot of reading to do once this headache has gone!

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah. If you’ve drastically cut carbs in the last week, you could be experiencing ‘keto flu’. Make sure you’re getting enough electrolytes and drinking plenty of water.

Billy321

Ah. If you’ve drastically cut carbs in the last week, you could be experiencing ‘keto flu’. Make sure you’re getting enough electrolytes and drinking plenty of water.
Aha yes thank you, I have drastically cut carbs since last week so this would explain. Thank you :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
the first couple of weeks after a drastic change can be difficult with headaches, flu like symptoms, cravings, dehydration etc
Even changes to eyesight
They are all temporary and will pass in time