Type 2 Libre 2

Mscmhs1

Hey all,

I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere, but Freestyle are offering people in the UK a free 14 day trial of the Libre 2.

My understanding is that currently the NHS will fund them if you’re type 1 but not type 2.

My diabetes management has been difficult as I still feel very in the dark and Covid has limited contact with my GP to go through it all.

Originally my HbA1c was 54 at diagnosis. I worked hard and got it down to 47. But at the last test (not via my GP but a privately funded quarterly blood check), it has risen again to 51.

I guess my first question is how significant are these figures. I know the cut off for diagnosis is 48. But 51, 54 - how above this threshold is this really in terms of danger (does that make sense).

I’ve just applied the sensor for Libre 2 and awaiting for it to start up. Anyone for recommendations for using it or things to look out for?

Thanks you
Ant

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

I don’t know if it’s the same everywhere, but Freestyle are offering people in the UK a free 14 day trial of the Libre 2.

My understanding is that currently the NHS will fund them if you’re type 1 but not type 2.

My diabetes management has been difficult as I still feel very in the dark and Covid has limited contact with my GP to go through it all.

Originally my HbA1c was 54 at diagnosis. I worked hard and got it down to 47. But at the last test (not via my GP but a privately funded quarterly blood check), it has risen again to 51.

I guess my first question is how significant are these figures. I know the cut off for diagnosis is 48. But 51, 54 - how above this threshold is this really in terms of danger (does that make sense).

I’ve just applied the sensor for Libre 2 and awaiting for it to start up. Anyone for recommendations for using it or things to look out for?

Thanks you
Ant

Hi Ant,

Unfortunately not all T1s can get then prescribed either. I'm still a self funder in the sensor department.

I think you should see stuff with your BGs that are normally missed with a traditional meter.

Since you've already successfully planted it, keep an eye out for catching the sensor on door jams & when removing clothing..

Mscmhs1

Hi Ant,

Unfortunately not all T1s can get then prescribed either. I'm still a self funder in the sensor department.

I think you should see stuff with your BGs that are normally missed with a traditional meter.

Since you've already successfully planted it, keep an eye out for catching the sensor on door jams & when removing clothing..

Thank for you the heads up!! What about the shower/bath?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank for you the heads up!! What about the shower/bath?

I normally exfoliate the site before fitting & avoid spray deodorant till after fitting? (Not wishing to mess up the adhesion?)
I place mine inside the arm.

You can shower & bathe. Avoid hitting it whilst washing off.. You may notice a dip in BG reading whilst bathing,
The heat can increase insulin sensitivity for me. But it can also temporarily affect the sensor too? (From other accounts I've read.)

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Unfortunately, there is little publicised about the limitations of the Libre.
I am not saying it is not a great tool but if your expectations are not set appropriately, you will be disappointed.
These have been discussed multiple times on this forum so I would take some time to use the Search function at the top of the page and learn.

Here's one thread for starters: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/freestyle-tips-and-feeling-a-bit-better.180213/
But it does not explain everything.