Dr Jason Fung on T2 Diabetes and Drugs

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes, I too am a big fan of both IFing for general health, and trying to be as healthy as I can with T2D, as well as the ALA supplements. Intermittent fasting is a good way to maintain certain weights and so on, for being as healthy as possible with T2D. If I start getting spongey around the tummy, and the centimetres of my waistline are creeping up, I do a couple or a few days of not eating, and that does the trick, fairly regularly.

@Contralto - I am normal weight too, and have no problem keeping pretty healthy whilst maintaining various IF routines. Dr Fung himself is a good example of a regular IFer (of course!) whilst being fit, healthy, and normal weight.

Charks

I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes last May. Fortunately, because of the Covid lockdown, I had no contact from the diabetic nurse for 10 days. During this period I discovered Jason Fung and bought a blood glucose meter. So I realised that most of the advice the diabetic nurse was giving me was wrong and ignored it. When I was initially diagnosed my reading was 92 mmol. 9 months later my reading is 40 mmol. It was a lot of hard work. I’ve cut out all sugar and processed foods, practice intermittent fasting and exercise twice a day. I’ve lost over 20 lbs and feel the best I have for years. The problem is that I know I can’t afford to let things slip. My diabetes is in recession but I am still am diabetic. I can’t shop in M&S or Waitrose – too much temptation.

I refused to take metformin because I believe it is dangerous. Long term use leads to a B12 deficiency.

I was an undiagnosed celiac for many years. I regularly took antacids for severe indigestion. Because the antacids interfered with B12 absorption (the same as metformin) I developed a B12 deficiency. It was a nightmare – I thought I was dying. I couldn’t walk, talk properly or think straight. I wouldn’t wish it on my worse enemy. I believe everyone taking metformin should have their B12 levels checked.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Charks
Well done on your hard work. It has paid off nicely, and yes, you are in for the long haul now, but you know how to do it, and obviously have a good understanding.

I agree that B12 deficiency is a very nasty thing and I am sorry that you have experienced it. Also that Metformin may, after long term use, cause Vit B12 deficiency in some people.

However, this can be easily rectified by the use of widely available B12 supplements.
Indeed, the early use of B12 supplementation alongside Metformin can prevent the B12 deficiency from developing in the first place.

Reactions: Speedbird