Covid vaccine

Lilylala

I to got my letter today for being a carer rather than being a insulin over 50 diabetic
got it booked for next Saturday due to transport as the nearest place was 36 miles away in Ipswich , the next place was Colchester ? Then the next was Devon ? A bit bizarre as my mum had hers in Norwich .At least it's booked just waiting for hubby to get letter now as his over 50.I get my 2nd jab in May hope he gets his soon and we have both had both jabs by the end of June as got last year postponed holiday booked .

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had mine yesterday late afternoon. Pfizer. Felt absolutely nothing at the time, didn't even know she'd done it!
But woke early in pain from the arm. It's much more than just sore. Taking paracetamol helps, but I do know it when the painkillers wear off.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I to got my letter today for being a carer rather than being a insulin over 50 diabetic
got it booked for next Saturday due to transport as the nearest place was 36 miles away in Ipswich , the next place was Colchester ? Then the next was Devon ? A bit bizarre as my mum had hers in Norwich .At least it's booked just waiting for hubby to get letter now as his over 50.I get my 2nd jab in May hope he gets his soon and we have both had both jabs by the end of June as got last year postponed holiday booked .
That's a bit odd, I thought vaccinations were being done locally unless you live somewhere really remote. Also I didn't get a choice, just sent to the town hall 3 miles away.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That's a bit odd, I thought vaccinations were being done locally unless you live somewhere really remote. Also I didn't get a choice, just sent to the town hall 3 miles away.
My chemist that’s walkable is doing them, I got invited to the fire station in town. 10mins drive away. Not a huge issue but no choice so not sure how they are choosing where you go, so no, not necessarily

Lilylala

Yes it did seem a bit odd but yes I do live very rural no street lights or pavements but lots of tractors passing , our local vaccine hub is in Norwich which is 18 miles away but that only started 4 weeks ago so guess that's fully booked for a while hence the distance of the next available is Ipswich which for me is 36 miles.

Lilylala

My chemist that’s walkable is doing them, I got invited to the fire station in town. 10mins drive away. Not a huge issue but no choice so not sure how they are choosing where you go, so no, not necessarily
My letter of invitation to have a vaccine requested me to apply on line which gives you the option of where and what time
also at the same time of booking your 1st jab you book your 2nd and then you are given a booking reference number to take with you
so I was not sent a letter already saying where or when , supposed it depends on where you live ? As already mentioned I live very rural .

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Partha Kar just tweeted. ALL DIABETICS are level 6 (unless age/clinical level 4 puts you higher) you will get called. At the end of the day there is bound to be some hiccups but we should really be in awe of what has been achieved by this vaccination roll out and at the end of the day we are not even paying for it. Went with my 64 year old husband to a very large centre this morning. I was humbled by the organisation and people stood in the 0 degree temperatures pointing the way to go. Just volunteers. Personally I think there is too much griping about people getting it before others. We should all feel pleased that it is another human being who is on the road to a safer life. There are bound to be some who get called by mistake. In something this enormous it isn’t going to be glitch free. If it hasn’t reached you yet it will.

Reactions: urbanracer

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yay! Just got my letter! Booked for Monday, didn’t get it for diabetes though, got it for being a carer, got to admit I’m really nervous and I know it’s stupid being a bit scared of the needle as I inject everyday, but keep thinking ‘it’s a bigger needle!’ Sure it’s all in my head so I’ll be ok :) just feeling really grateful:)
I was like you, but barely felt it, and afterwards only tiny pinprick of a mark showed where the needle had gone in. Glad you've got it booked.

Reactions: Daisychain1

akccoll

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the Pfizer jab on Wednesday which was surprisingly painful. I’ve had a very sore arm for 24 hours, but then became achy and tired for the next two days. I am type 2. Hoping to feel ok tomorrow. Hubby had his Pfizer jab (painless) three weeks ago and got away with a sore arm for a couple of days. He is type 3c.

Daisychain1

Had my AZ jab today and it was absolutely fine, can’t believe I was so nervous of the needle now lol, what I found interesting was, I spoke to 3 others there while waiting and all 4 of us were diabetic but none of us were called for that, all called as Carers, one of the ladies said her husband is T1 diabetic and is still waiting to be called and then on my way out I spoke to one of the workers there and she said they are now calling the younger age groups because they didn’t have enough people last week to vaccinate, I said then I don’t understand why group 6 aren’t being called in? She said she didn’t either but that they even have walk in’s now this week, as long as you can prove you have certain benefits you can turn up and have the vaccine!

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Partha Kar just tweeted. ALL DIABETICS are level 6 (unless age/clinical level 4 puts you higher) you will get called. At the end of the day there is bound to be some hiccups but we should really be in awe of what has been achieved by this vaccination roll out and at the end of the day we are not even paying for it. Went with my 64 year old husband to a very large centre this morning. I was humbled by the organisation and people stood in the 0 degree temperatures pointing the way to go. Just volunteers. Personally I think there is too much griping about people getting it before others. We should all feel pleased that it is another human being who is on the road to a safer life. There are bound to be some who get called by mistake. In something this enormous it isn’t going to be glitch free. If it hasn’t reached you yet it will.
That's great, if you're able to properly isolate until at least 3 weeks after you've had your first dose. If you're a critical worker in a public facing role, or have kids who are about to go back to school, it's both frustrating and frightening to see the vaccine being handed out willy-nilly to those who are at lower risk and are supposed to be lower priority than you, and to still have no idea whether it's going to be days or weeks before you get yours.

My son is being asked back to school from the 8th and is expected to attend from the 15th. It takes 3 weeks to develop proper immunity from the first dose, and the former means I've been vaccinated less than 2 weeks, and the latter still means less than 3. The school had a case of covid this week, among the small number of pupils currently attending. With the school pushing it through for me as a carer, I managed to get my jab on Thursday. The call from my GP to be vaccinated as 'clinically vulnerable' came round on Saturday morning. Who knows whether I could have got an appointment the same day, or had to wait another week?

So by all means sit and wait patiently if you're safe. It's not like any of us can do much socially and recreationally until mid April, anyway. But the clock was, and still is ticking for others of us. And it's galling to see it turn into a postcode lottery with neighbouring areas getting cohort 9 vacinated while your own runs short on supplies half way through cohort 6, 10 days later.

Gryph

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 (in remission, diet controlled) here. Had Pfizer 9 days ago. Jab was painless (some finger pricks are worse!), no sore arm - but the next day felt terrible, aching, super tired, chills, but no temperature. Day 2 was much better. Back to 95% or so by Day 3. Now feel fine, but fasting BG has consistently been 6.4-7.2 throughout when usually it's 4.8-5.4, with no change in usual diet... suggests I'm not completely 100% yet, but should be soon.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
T2 (in remission, diet controlled) here. Had Pfizer 9 days ago. Jab was painless (some finger pricks are worse!), no sore arm - but the next day felt terrible, aching, super tired, chills, but no temperature. Day 2 was much better. Back to 95% or so by Day 3. Now feel fine, but fasting BG has consistently been 6.4-7.2 throughout when usually it's 4.8-5.4, with no change in usual diet... suggests I'm not completely 100% yet, but should be soon.
My bloods are consistently 5.5+ where they used to be 4.5+ and I had the Pfizer too. I did though stop metformin fully around the same time so no idea if it’s a side effect of either

when I stopped all other drugs I had zero impact on bloods so tempted to say it is a side effect of Pfizer. But to be fair, am hearing the AZ is more of an impact and type 2s seem to have less rise

anecedotially anyway!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Me too! Fasting Glucose levels have been 2mmol higher since I had the jab 3 days ago, I'm not worried as I am sure they will get back to some form of 'normal' soon!

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
As a T2 and over 70, I had the Oxford Astra Zeneca jab on Jan 24th, only a mild sore arm if I laid on it at night, that only lasted a couple of days.
Having a sore arm is infinitely preferable to having coronavirus and becoming a statistic

Estragon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list here . . .
Having a sore arm is infinitely preferable to having coronavirus and becoming a statistic
Oh yes. Wife and I had COVID19 in March last year. Then last month we had our first AZ jab. Sure, my arm was sore for a week, but nothing nothing like laying in my Hospital bed, watching my Oxygen Sats yo-yoing up and down, not being able to sustain, control the effectiveness of my breathing, but having THIS basic need to Live being circumvented by COVID19, was truly scary.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Bloods still reading higher and seem to be getting more so as the days go on :banghead: I’m now seeing > 7s and not used to that and slightly depressed

but I obsess at times due to my autism so trying not to over worry!

Hoping this wears off soon and is due to the vaccine rather than dropping drugs as if they don’t stabilise I may well have to go back on them and I don’t want that

anyone else have elevated bloods off Pfizer that did end up settling?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bloods still reading higher and seem to be getting more so as the days go on :banghead: I’m now seeing > 7s and not used to that and slightly depressed

but I obsess at times due to my autism so trying not to over worry!

Hoping this wears off soon and is due to the vaccine rather than dropping drugs as if they don’t stabilise I may well have to go back on them and I don’t want that

anyone else have elevated bloods off Pfizer that did end up settling?

Hi Andy, I think you had your jab same day as me, my levels are still higher by around 1mmol but getting back to what they were. I am SURE that it will wear off soon, it's a sign your body is working hard to fight off the 'invaders'. Some would even say 7 is stable enough to the point where it will NOT hurt you to remain at that for a while. Keep checking as you do and see how it goes over the next week? x