Greetings

EGeraldo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings from Portugal, I'm Eduardo, I'm 25 years old and, after going to the hospital on the 27th of December with high BS (>350[19.4]) and ketones (>6), have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was shaken with the diagnosis as I didn't expect it (have always been healthy), and the only things I knew about diabetes were its complications. During my week at the hospital friends and family seemed to call mostly to rub salt into the wound (I know they didn't do it on purpose), constantly bringing up the complications and it really got me down.

Fortunately, while at the hospital, decided to get better informed on Diabetes and stumbled upon diabetes.co.uk which really helped with my anxiety. For that, I have to thank the community which provides lots of useful information and seems very supportive.

At diagnosis my HbA1c was 13,3%[121,9] and my current estimate (Libre - not really sure how accurate the prediction is, any insights?) is 5,4%[35,5] :)

For the past couple of days, I've been struggling with annoyingly high BS (peaking at 270 [15]). From the information available here, I'm guessing it's either not enough basal (last week my Diabetes doctor reduced it from 18U to 16U due to hypos after most meals, after the change BS was quite stable until Sunday) or bad sleep.
So far one of the things I hate the most is Dawn Phenomenon, it keeps ruining my morning.:bigtears:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Greetings from Portugal, I'm Eduardo, I'm 25 years old and, after going to the hospital on the 27th of December with high BS (>350[19.4]) and ketones (>6), have been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I was shaken with the diagnosis as I didn't expect it (have always been healthy), and the only things I knew about diabetes were its complications. During my week at the hospital friends and family seemed to call mostly to rub salt into the wound (I know they didn't do it on purpose), constantly bringing up the complications and it really got me down.

Fortunately, while at the hospital, decided to get better informed on Diabetes and stumbled upon diabetes.co.uk which really helped with my anxiety. For that, I have to thank the community which provides lots of useful information and seems very supportive.

At diagnosis my HbA1c was 13,3%[121,9] and my current estimate (Libre - not really sure how accurate the prediction is, any insights?) is 5,4%[35,5] :)

For the past couple of days, I've been struggling with annoyingly high BS (peaking at 270 [15]). From the information available here, I'm guessing it's either not enough basal (last week my Diabetes doctor reduced it from 18U to 16U due to hypos after most meals, after the change BS was quite stable until Sunday) or bad sleep.
So far one of the things I hate the most is Dawn Phenomenon, it keeps ruining my morning.:bigtears:

Hi @EGeraldo ,

Welcome to the forum.

What basal are you using. & how long has your current pen or cartridge been in use??

Reactions: EGeraldo

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Another welcome and an additional question: When do you see those peaks? Are you on basal only or on mealtime insulin as well?

Reactions: EGeraldo

EGeraldo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @EGeraldo ,

Welcome to the forum.

What basal are you using. & how long has your current pen or cartridge been in use??

Thank you ^^

I'm on Lantus. The current pen is about two weeks old, should not take long before I start a new one. I always keep the basal pens in the fridge.

Another welcome and an additional question: When do you see those peaks? Are you on basal only or on mealtime insulin as well?

Thanks for the welcome ^^

I'm also on mealtime insulin (Humalog). Blood sugar increases throughout the day. It seems like that on some meals insulin works and on others it doesn't. The peaks occur after meals where the bolus seems to have had an effect.

For instance, yesterday BS kept rising until my snack time (around 5 pm), afterwards dropped to approximately 7.7. Dinner time insulin also seemed to not have much of an impact. When the BS is high I have a 5th meal to correct the sugar levels. Yesterday it had some effect, but not as much as usual. Before sleep BS was around 6.6.

Today when I woke up sugar level was around 4.5, after breakfast rose up to 10 (last 4/5 days at breakfast I have reduced my carbs from 36g to 12g as it seemed to help with DP). At lunch (55g carbs) I injected one unit more than the "tabled" value (taking into account the correction) but the sugar levels kept rising until my snack time where it dropped to 4.5.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you ^^

I'm on Lantus. The current pen is about two weeks old, should not take long before I start a new one. I always keep the basal pens in the fridge.

Thanks for the welcome ^^

I'm also on mealtime insulin (Humalog). Blood sugar increases throughout the day. It seems like that on some meals insulin works and on others it doesn't. The peaks occur after meals where the bolus seems to have had an effect.

For instance, yesterday BS kept rising until my snack time (around 5 pm), afterwards dropped to approximately 7.7. Dinner time insulin also seemed to not have much of an impact. When the BS is high I have a 5th meal to correct the sugar levels. Yesterday it had some effect, but not as much as usual. Before sleep BS was around 6.6.

Today when I woke up sugar level was around 4.5, after breakfast rose up to 10 (last 4/5 days at breakfast I have reduced my carbs from 36g to 12g as it seemed to help with DP). At lunch (55g carbs) I injected one unit more than the "tabled" value (taking into account the correction) but the sugar levels kept rising until my snack time where it dropped to 4.5.

Sounds like you're getting a handle on your diabetes.
I use Lantus & it can be a temperamental basal in my experience. (No matter how well the in use is stored?)

This link regarding basal testing before working out where you are with the fast acting may help..
https://www.mysugr.com/en/blog/basal-rate-testing/

EGeraldo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds like you're getting a handle on your diabetes.
I use Lantus & it can be a temperamental basal in my experience. (No matter how well the in use is stored?)

This link regarding basal testing before working out where you are with the fast acting may help..

At least I'm trying to. Got stuck with it, so might as well make the best out of it. I would like to live a long (and preferably good) life.:D

Thanks for the reference :)
I'll try to test the basal rate. It should also give me some insights into my metabolism; seems fun.

Reactions: Jaylee

EGeraldo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Jaylee, you were right. It most likely was bad insulin. Two days after I started a new pen, BS trends went back to normal. I'm testing the basal rate anyway, as I am slowly resuming exercising. Afterwards, I'll need to figure out better ratios. I'm still using the ones given to me at the hospital; not the best when combined with exercise. Since it's a thing I'll have to do by myself, the sooner I get used to it, the better.

@Jaylee and @Antje77 Thanks four your help ^^