Why won't the NHS tell you the secret to treating diabetes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you taken readings every 15 minutes to see the spike caused by ingesting 75g of glucose? Its quite frightening and made me feel very sick indeed even though I "passed".

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Tannith If someone is on a diet of 1000 cals per day, I fail to see how drinking 300 cals of glucose helps them to lose weight?

Last edited:

Tannith

BANNED
This week's average FBG is 5.0. It went down a bit at the beginning of my diet but has now stopped decreasing. My last OGT 10 days ago, was 11.2, so just into the diabetic range. So I have no choice but to continue dieting in the hope of getting down to my PFT.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This week's average FBG is 5.0. It went down a bit at the beginning of my diet but has now stopped decreasing. My last OGT 10 days ago, was 11.2, so just into the diabetic range. So I have no choice but to continue dieting in the hope of getting down to my PFT.
Or you could stop dieting, follow low carb and lose weight that way instead?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You do have a choice. You can give low carbing a try, and see what happens.
And maybe just maybe after a few months of low carb you’d then be able to pass your self OGTT (having carb loaded a couple of days prior to avoid physiological IR).

You’ve tried one way that doesn’t seem to work for you (and professor Taylor never claimed it worked for everyone). I cannot understand why you won’t try another just as well evidence method.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Tannith

BANNED
And maybe just maybe after a few months of low carb you’d then be able to pass your self OGTT (having carb loaded a couple of days prior to avoid physiological IR).

You’ve tried one way that doesn’t seem to work for you (and professor Taylor never claimed it worked for everyone). I cannot understand why you won’t try another just as well evidence method.
Low cal is not the same as low carb. The two are "methods" of doing two totally different things. Low cal can reverse T2 whereas low carb can only lower blood sugar, (which can also be done with drugs like metformin). I am looking to REVERSE my T2. Just temporarily lowering blood sugar is not my goal. And the OGT measures beta cell function because it measures the body's SPEED of response to glucose, rather than just the total amount of glucose you have put into your blood by swallowing it (or not swallowing it, as in the case of low carb)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The amount of effort which seems to be required to do the promised reversal of type two seems to be quite extraordinary.
I have normal blood glucose levels, just about - normal enough for it not to be any problem to anyone.
I eat my two meals a day and then get on with life as best I can under the present circumstances.
The low carb diet doesn't seem like any sort of deprivation - I enjoy it immensely.
I am regarded as in remission and have been for some years now. I only had one diabetic level Hba1c as the diet was effective from day one.
I really can't see the logic of curing something which isn't actually there any more.

Reactions: PiersAaron

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low cal is not the same as low carb. The two are "methods" of doing two totally different things. Low cal can reverse T2 whereas low carb can only lower blood sugar, (which can also be done with drugs like metformin). I am looking to REVERSE my T2. Just temporarily lowering blood sugar is not my goal. And the OGT measures beta cell function because it measures the body's SPEED of response to glucose, rather than just the total amount of glucose you have put into your blood by swallowing it (or not swallowing it, as in the case of low carb)

Sorry but however much you wish this to be true it is not.

If it were true then my own OGTT results would not be possible.

You are simply wrong and I really don't want you to mislead others.

Last edited:

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Low cal can reverse T2 whereas low carb can only lower blood sugar
Can we have a link to the scientific studies stating and proving this please?

You appear to have some fundamental misunderstanding about diets and how they work, despite all the information on this thread.

Reactions: oldgreymare

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid @Tannith this holy grail you seek might not exist.

We know that in Taylor's 2 year follow up that maximal insulin secretion had increased to a rate comaprable to a non-diabetic control group. What is often missed in the small print is that their 1st phase insulin response was only 50% of the same control group, even @ 2 years post remission.
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32060017/
Whether this deficency is down to signaling pathways, poor beta cell secretion rates or lack of insulin sensitivity is not explored.

This expains the large spikes often seen in pre-diabetic & diabetics after a carb load. Whether this 1st phase can be fully repaired has not yet been proven.

Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh for goodness sake you are missing the point.
You want to lose weight to reach your PFT. You can do this by following low carb. The advantage of low carb is that you dont have to starve yourself to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: HSSS

Tannith

BANNED
Sorry but however much you wish this to be true it is not.

If it were true then my own OGTT results would not be possible.

You are simply wrong and I really don't want you to mislead others.
You don't think your extraordinarily massive weight loss (8 stone) might be the reason you have low BG? Anyone losing anywhere near that much weight pretty well MUST have lost the excess weight from their pancreas?

Hotpepper20000

You don't think your extraordinarily massive weight loss (8 stone) might be the reason you have low BG? Anyone losing anywhere near that much weight pretty well MUST have lost the excess weight from their pancreas?
I have lost 60 pounds and I know from testing before and after I eat with a BG meter that grains legumes and root vegetables still spike my BG.
Also I lost all that weight with out going hungry restricting calories.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had lower blood sugar levels right from day 3 of low carbing, and have continue to do so for nearly a decade. Nothing to do with weight loss. The only blip has been during long covid, which thankfully seems to be over now.

Status
Not open for further replies.