HONEY & DIABETES

a.khat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I am from village Amityville on Long Island. Recently doctors said to me I got Type Two Diabetes and should take insulin to live. I don`t believe it. My grandmother advises me to smear my body with honey every day to let my body nourish with vitamins and combat diabetes. I am thinking if I should eat honey? Maybe, I will cope with the disease faster in this way?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Welcome to the forum. If you have T2 then you should not eat honey. You should avoid sugary foods and carbohydrates.

Do you know what your hba1c number was on diagnosis?

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You have had some off the wall advice there.
I'm just checking the date - not April First yet.
Would you care to tell us more about your diagnosis?

Reactions: HSSS

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am from village Amityville on Long Island. Recently doctors said to me I got Type Two Diabetes and should take insulin to live. I don`t believe it. My grandmother advises me to smear my body with honey every day to let my body nourish with vitamins and combat diabetes. I am thinking if I should eat honey? Maybe, I will cope with the disease faster in this way?
Smearing yourself with honey won't help your diabetes but is probably safe unless there are bears where you live. Eating honey is a very bad idea for a type 2 as it has a very high sugar content, especially fructose which many consider the worst kind.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.

I think your advice could be described as
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Amityville_Horror

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Welcome to the forum.

If you are prescribed insulin by your HCP, then take it as directed.

Smearing honey about your person, or ingesting it will not do you any favours with regards to lowering BGs.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a load of rubbish, though possibly confused with the well known fact that standing naked next to a hive of bees and annoying the hive will cause stings that will distract from any concerns about diabetes.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope the OP doesn't live near a wasps nest ;)

Remind me - can humans eat honey by osmosis?

a.khat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Welcome to the forum. If you have T2 then you should not eat honey. You should avoid sugary foods and carbohydrates.

Do you know what your hba1c number was on diagnosis?

Thanks!
I got it, but now I should prepare for a huge quarrel with my grandma.
My number was 9,5

a.khat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Smearing yourself with honey won't help your diabetes but is probably safe unless there are bears where you live. Eating honey is a very bad idea for a type 2 as it has a very high sugar content, especially fructose which many consider the worst kind.

I don't know what I should do. If I don't smear my body with honey, and insulin doesn't work for me, what are my further actions?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do you need to lose a lot of weight? My first thought was that you are very young for T2. T1 and T2 are completely different conditions.

VittoBianchi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I don't know what I should do. If I don't smear my body with honey, and insulin doesn't work for me, what are my further actions?

To provide effective advices, we need to know more about your diagnosis. But anyway, DON'T EAT HONEY!!!! Honey has about the same relative sweetness as sucrose!! Do you even know how to use internet??

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

What insulin/s are you prescribed by your doctor.?

Your grandma has mistaken the use of "Manuka honey" as an old way of wound healing, it's not for fixing diabetes.

Save your money on the honey from the other village.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't touch the honey. Insulin often isn't the best treatment for T2 as you may already have too much insulin in your body so it may not have much effect. Do you have some excess weight? Keep the carbs in your diet down; this may be enough to reduce your blood sugar.