Life expectancy

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Studies regarding life expectancy tend to need historic data. I don't think "todays technology" has been around long enough to have a significant impact.

I think life expectancy has been discussed on other threads you have started, @M05
I chose to do as much as I can to minimise the impact diabetes has on life expectancy (keep my blood sugars within range as much as possible) without detracting from the life that I live. If I am comfortable with what I am doing, I do not worry about how many years I have left - my guess is I won't be taken off by anything diabetes related.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is there any studies of type 1 diabetes and life expectancy with todays technology

Hi,

Like anything tech or med wise developed to prolong life.
Sometimes it's just down to who has access to it, & how it's used to the the best of individual ability.

I've worked with a pump user for a few years who unfortunatly struggled with his health, where as on MDI. I faired better.
It's a "lottery" on so many levels. BG managment helps..

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
The old eternal question of life expectancy ! All I’ll say is try and manage your bloods ! Make sure blood sugar is taken regularly . Technology these days makes diabetes so much easier to manage than 40 years ago
And because life expectancy is such a fickle thing fill your life with as much as you can!

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Is there any studies of type 1 diabetes and life expectancy with todays technology
All I can say is that at the age of 13, being Type1 for 12 years already, I was told I might make it to 20. In my early 20s my father was told by an actuary that statistically I had a chance of reaching 40 if I looked after myself. I am now 62! Is there any point in expectancy?

Torres71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 49 & diagnosed with diabetes last April & told in December I have type 1 diabetes. It all freaked me out at first, including life expectancy. Have always looked after myself, so hope I'm not going anywhere for many decades to come. Fate can do one.:facepalm:

Reactions: Grant_Vicat

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
@Grant_Vicat - Glad you are here to share your wisdom.

I think living life in anticipation of a t1 life expectancy is like creating boundaries for your own existence - personally I see no difference between my life expectancy and a non diabetics, more so now with the tech available.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi - it depends on how you manage it. Doctor Bernstein in usa has been type 1 for 80 years. It’s worth a read of his method and book

Although it's not JUST about managing it. Bernstein (and all of us) will have different DNA, different backgrounds, different OTHER health conditions, different jobs, different physiology and on and on. I DO agree that the better we manage ourselves the better our chances overall but I don't agree that just because Bernstein has reached 80 by 'managing' his type 1 that we all will or would even want to do it like he does. So even when people manage it exceptionally well does not imply that that alone gets them to 80. It's not quite that 'easy' or straightforward.

Last edited:

Rhys.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All I can say is that at the age of 13, being Type1 for 12 years already, I was told I might make it to 20. In my early 20s my father was told by an actuary that statistically I had a chance of reaching 40 if I looked after myself. I am now 62! Is there any point in expectancy?
Love This Grant! I know there are loads of you with this sort of benchmark and even further. Hats off to you all.

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding