50:50 Basal Bolus ratio

ReaL

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I understand that there is a general rule that your basal and bolus should be roughly split equally (that you should take the same number of units of each). My split is roughly 35:65 and if I up my basal end up low overnight. I’m on the libre so can see what is happening. Should I be concerned about this. I started insulin last November and have only had a couple of telephone calls since from DSN. Thanks

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I wouldn't be concerned -- we are all different and what works for one might not work for another
currently my basal is 19.35u per day ( i am on a pump ) and i average around 14 to 15 u of bolus insulin
so my split is currently 57 / 43
the fact you have libre data that backs up what you are doing should provide a lot of comfort that you are doing things right for you.

Reactions: ReaL

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My split is roughly 35:65 and if I up my basal end up low overnight. I’m on the libre so can see what is happening. Should I be concerned about this. I started insulin last November and have only had a couple of telephone calls since from DSN.

If your readings are fine I wouldn't be concerned at all. That split is pretty arbitrary anyway, as it obviously massively depends on how many carbs you eat....

Reactions: ReaL and himtoo

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If I had a 50:50 basal - bolus split I would either my fighting hypos all day and night (as it would be too much basal) or would only be able to have 60 carbs through the whole day (which I know some people do, but not me), so yeah, if 35:65 works for you, stick with it.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
To be honest I don’t care how much insulin I take as long as my blood sugars stay “within range”.diabetes as we know is individual to the individual.

Reactions: ReaL and ert

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not concerning at all, it's just a rule of thumb to start out with, not something to strive for. My basal stays the same each day (90 units) but my bolus can be anywhere between 20 and 70 units, depending on food, activity, time of month.

Reactions: ReaL and EllieM

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I always find this a strange concept, and wonder if it is a hangover from more fixed diets 30 odd years ago. I take 8 units of basal a day at the moment. But this can be down to 7 in summer heat. I have to take 4 units of bolus just to cope with my meagre breakfast and dawn phenomenon. So that would leave me very little Lea way for the rest of the day. Ok on a low carb day but not much good for today’s pizza. I have never thought about how much bolus I take as long as the basal is bang on. I just take what I need. Yesterday 10 units, today 16 and counting.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This rule has no real foundation so ignore it and base what you do oa Basal test to get that balance right and then find Bolus ratios that work for.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My ratio varies every day.
If I have a hard workout, I reduce my basal but may eat more carbs. My basal- bolus ratio could be 25 - 75.
If I am I'll, I increase my basal and eat very My basal- bolus ratio could be 90 - 10.

As others have stayed, the 50 - 50 ratio might be useful when trying to set up initial doses but it relies too much on the old fashion idea that our insulin doses are the same every day. Our life is not the same every day, so why should our insulin when so many things affect your blood sugars?