Help , newly diagnosed

Marie113

I was told 3 weeks ago after blood test I have type 2 diabetes , I was told over phone doctor hasn’t made appointment for me to discuss options but just to try lose weight and be tested again , my hbac1 was 58 , I bought a blood glucose tester and my readings are around 5-6 mainly , I have cut down on all the rubbish I eat and am eating a lot healthier can I reverse the diagnosis? Thanks

Reactions: ianpspurs

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was told 3 weeks ago after blood test I have type 2 diabetes , I was told over phone doctor hasn’t made appointment for me to discuss options but just to try lose weight and be tested again , my hbac1 was 58 , I bought a blood glucose tester and my readings are around 5-6 mainly , I have cut down on all the rubbish I eat and am eating a lot healthier can I reverse the diagnosis? Thanks
Welcome @Marie113 . Yes you can reverse or put T2 into remission. Testing before eating and 2 hrs after is a great start. Reading around this forum and about T2 generally will also help. Here's a start. Just be aware that it isn't always plain sailing. As Mike Tyson put it everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth. People "fall off the wagon" or get discouraged so don't be surprised if you find it hard at times. Best wishes.

Last edited:

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you let us know what your new diet is? There is so much bad diet advice around it might be worth letting us know so we can comment if necessary.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
NO!

Not low fat anything! Have a read of the link in my signature.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have literally cut out all extra sugar , no sweets cakes etc plus switched to low fat

Hi there, first of all are you actually overweight (or was that the Dr stereotyping) and can you give us a typical days food? Of course we all know about the obviously sugary rubbish that you mention (sweets & cake, etc) but there is plenty of 'sugar' (aka carbs) in many innocent looking items. Many of us got caught out by an evil carrot!

Tannith

BANNED
Hear all about from Professor Roy Taylor the 5 minute summary.

• Type 2 diabetes is a potentially reversible condition
• If a person has type 2 diabetes, they have become too heavy for their own body (nothing to do with the arbitrary concept of obesity)
• Weight loss of around 15kg is necessary for most people
• This can be achieved using a simple 3-step method: the 1, 2, 3 of diabetes reversal
• Type 2 diabetes is most easily reversed to normal in the early years after diagnosis
• How and why type 2 diabetes happens can now be understood

Read Richard Doughty's personal story Type 2 diabetes and the diet that cured me on the Guardian website, including a video interview of another personal story. You can also read an update from Richard, I reversed my diabetes in just 11 days, on the Mail Online. https://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal/#publicinformation

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and thanks. Yes, don't do low fat. Fats are good for us and don't really add to weight gain and the fats we eat don't clog the arteries. The liver decides that and it loves to store excess carbs as fat deposits. You are right to reduce all 'sugars' i.e. all carbs.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low carb high (healthy) fat has worked for a lot of people, especially early in diagnosis. You have a great opportunity to catch it early here and avoid the slippery slope. Good luck.