Higher blood sugar than normal in morning

Lianne0204

Hello,

I am a t1d and am on Levemir (split dose) and Novorapid.

My bg levels have been good up until around a week ago. I have noticed from around an hour after I get into bed my levels steadily rise (I have a libre so can see this happening) I am currently waking up anywhere between 9-10 each morning.

As I have been under a preconception clinic at my hospital my target levels are currently 4-7.8 mmol so waking up at 9 isn’t ideal.

I have increased my evening Levemir dose by 2 units and that has not made a difference. Is it usual for blood sugars to all of a sudden follow a different trend? Just really struggling overnight. Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank You

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes it can happen. Have you checked your readings with a finger prick, in case the Libre is reading wrongly? If so, it would be worth doing an overnight basal check using finger prick readings, rather than the Libre, and then adjusting insulin as needed.
The only other thought is, have you changed how late you last eat, or has your carb ratio changed for supper etc?
How are your readings during the day, is it only overnight they are rising?

Lianne0204

Hey thank you for replying.

I contacted my diabetes team and they asked the questions as you have.

After looking a bit more into it, looks like my need for my evening Levemir has gone up. Increased by another 4 units and (fingers crossed) seems to be doing the trick. X

Reactions: Hopeful34

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's great. Just to add that I have two different basal rates for summer and winter, as the cold weather increases my need for insulin, so it's something else to consider as the seasons change.