Flying

Garyg 2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when we can finally travel again do we need some sort of note from the G.P. Before taking insulin pens and needles on a plane? Also would a freestyle libre show up on a metal detector? Thanks.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
when we can finally travel again do we need some sort of note from the G.P. Before taking insulin pens and needles on a plane? Also would a freestyle libre show up on a metal detector? Thanks.

Never had any issue with a libre (as I remember) and a metal detector, but if travelling overseas it's a good idea to have a doctor's note saying you'll be carrying diabetic paraphernalia (speaking from experience in Hong Kong airport when I had to dredge up an ancient diabetic UK card). I've done a fair amount of (pre covid) international travelling, and most airports were happy to be told that I was diabetic and had diabetic stuff with me.

Don't think the libre was an issue, but it's been a while (had to discontinue due to allergy and now use a dexcom) so better to get some comments from others on that.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your doctor should be happy to give you a note regarding taking your diabetes paraphernalia on a flight.
I recommend asking your diabetes consultant rather than GP as GPs have a tendency to charge for it.
They can write a letter which can be used for all future trips rather than with specific dates.

Like @EllieM I have had my stuff queried so, although some may say the letter is not required and it is not an issue, I would rather carry the weight of a sheet of paper than risk being turned away from my flight. As a frequent traveller pre-pandemic, I am very aware there is a huge difference between what should be possible and allowed and how it is interpreted.

My Libre has never been spotted by x-rays but my insulin pens have.

And I still get a kick out of answering the question "Do you have any sharp items in your luggage" with a positive and seeing the check-in staff squirm as I hesitate before explaining I have diabetes. Travel can be boring so I have to get little joys where I can.

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
I travel to the Canaries twice a year with insulin and libres and just have a copy of my current prescription.

Tony

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

I used to have a note. My GP at the time issued it for gratis. But have never been asked to produce it.
Lol, & I've flown with a band, been pulled over & questioned on a couple of things.
But never my"stuff."

In my experience with airport security. They've seen it "all."

Lakeslover

Found this thread and I just wanted to check. I’m travelling to lanzarote in feb which will be my first time wearing a libre and carrying a spare in my hand luggage. It ut okfor both me and my spare to go through the airport scanner?

Simon005

I used to travel to Asia (China and Vietanm) for business and only got stopped in Heathrow as I would carry 3 months insulin in gel bags to keep it cool, once in Asia I got stopped a few times, but once they see pen it’s been fine, letter in English wouldn’t be any good in these countries, but seems like a good option. Never had issue with Libre 2 in X-ray.