Covid vaccine and T1D, what are your views?

enzina

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pain, being dependent, egoistic people & jealousy
I will have it today! Feeling very grateful and excited. Many people i know already had the vaccine and none of them reported any problems.
In 1971 my mother missed the diphteria vaccine for my 18 month old brother. I was nine at the time when what we thought a cold turned really bad very quickly. We saw our little brother literally dying in front of us, they call it the strangling angel. Drowning and being strangled at the same time. When the ambulance finally arrived it was too late.

Reactions: mooshk

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
I had my first dose of the Pfizer vaccine on 23rd January. Painful arm for 24 hours only and all has been good. I had Influenza once back when I was 14/15 years old and I though it was going to kill me. Extremely unwell for three weeks. More than happy to get this vaccine. Thankfully got it quicker than some people due to my front line job role. Looking forward to all this easing at some point but the light at the end of the proverbial seems closer now thankfully.

Jollymon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Not having good chocolate, and not cycling
2-3 days after my 2nd dose of the pfizer vaccine I am struggling to keep an infusion set for my insulin pump running. I’ve tried everything and am finding changing the infusion set is the fix. I hate wasting insulin but I thought that was suspect to, and it wasn’t.

My only theory is my crazy t1 autoimmune system after the vaccination is even more crazy now, and maybe it’s doing crazy things again, like healing infusion set closed. I’ve found fissuring red blood cells close infusion sets, but white blood cells are difficult to see. I know the cannulas aren’t kinked. I find changing them is the only fix.

So, watch your numbers after the covid vaccination. For those using an insulin pump remember “when in doubt (high numbers) change it out (infusion set).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzeptt

Technician87

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not a great deal really...I'm easy!!
I had my vaccination on Saturday (6th march 2021) at 1100, it was the astra zenica jab, by 1500 I had turned yellow then hour by hour I got progressively worst culminating in the worst fever I've ever had. Apart from that it was alright 10/10 would do again ...better than dying you know.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my vaccination on Saturday (6th march 2021) at 1100, it was the astra zenica jab, by 1500 I had turned yellow then hour by hour I got progressively worst culminating in the worst fever I've ever had. Apart from that it was alright 10/10 would do again ...better than dying you know.

I had the "Vauxhall people carrier" jab last Wednesday & was fine till i woke up the following morning feeling like i'd just got back from a "band tour" & been punched in the arm. (My BGs were OK. & there was no visible mark on the arm.)
Friday i woke up & was back to normal.

Reactions: KK123

daffadam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Got mine booked for this weekend and genuinely looking forward to it!

Been type 1 for only 3 years but the one year I forgot to do my flu jab I was constantly ill... so I've learnt my lesson regarding vaccines - they are essential!

Reactions: Jollymon

Christina66

Had AZ on Friday 5th March. Terrible headache Friday night and fever and shakes all night, felt awful. Temperature too. Managed to get out of bed about 1:30 Saturday and gradually started feeling better. Now Monday 8th: Still got a temp but better than I was. Normally very well controlled levels but struggling to get them down. Normally 98% in target with an average between 6-7. Currently 34% in target with average of 11.8. Pumping insulin in me regularly but numbers keep shooting up. I can only think positively that it’s working. ‍♀️ Wouldn’t stop me having the second jab.... bring it on.

Reactions: Diane fluteplayer

pm133

Well despite my bravado about waiting 6 months and letting others be guinea pigs, as soon as my letter arrived I took the vaccine. Got the delicious AZ/Oxford one. Bit of a sore arm but no other side effects at all.

Right. Now that I'm done, can we get the pubs open now? :)

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had my first AZ dose on Friday evening, went hypo Friday night (after a Chinese takeaway, eh? I'd normally be in the 20s most of the night), Saturday I felt pretty awful, ached all over and very wobbly, my eyes were sore and eye sockets ached, sinus pain and headache plus BGs in the teens all day. Yesterday I had some numbness/tingling in my fingers, that's gone today and I feel ok. But I have got a nasal ulcer and a sore arm :D (I do have other autoimmune things and some undiagnosed issues that are very likely autoimmune too, so my dodgy immune system has definitely got a bit overexcited I think :rolleyes:)

glitter queen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Had AZ on Friday 5th March. Terrible headache Friday night and fever and shakes all night, felt awful. Temperature too. Managed to get out of bed about 1:30 Saturday and gradually started feeling better. Now Monday 8th: Still got a temp but better than I was. Normally very well controlled levels but struggling to get them down. Normally 98% in target with an average between 6-7. Currently 34% in target with average of 11.8. Pumping insulin in me regularly but numbers keep shooting up. I can only think positively that it’s working. ‍♀️ Wouldn’t stop me having the second jab.... bring it on.

I had jab roughly about 1 month ago too. My levels still high. How are yours? Have you managed to get them down? If so how?

Last edited by a moderator:

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So far not had any change in insulin requirements after my second AZ/Oxford vaccine at the weekend. Really relieved, no other side effects either. By comparison, the first dose made me need almost 4x my usual total daily insulin for about 1 week before my insulin requirements returned to normal. Have read a lot saying second AZ dose is better with fewer people reporting side effects. Hope this continues to be true for others too!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anecdotally then it seems AZ gives the worst 'hangover' which fits my experience having had nothing but a sore arm with Phizzer (sic). I have reservations about the whole programme with regards to its efficacy and ethics but that's another question.

TimLibre

My doctor just called me to let me know that i could come for an AstraZena vaccination this afternoon. In fact my country has stopped to vaccinate people below 60 with AZ as far as i know, but my doctor wants to continue to use it for people on the spare list.

i got an hour for consideration, and it really felt like none of the choices was the right one. Having read a lot about the trombose risks, caused by an extreme immune response. And then in the back of my mind that my Type 1 diabetes was likely caused by an extreme immune response to a certain flu..and somewhere further in my memory that I once got terribly ill after gettng a hepatitis and a anti flu vaccination at once..and on the other hand our hospitals moving towards code black even with the loser lockdown rules still coming later this week. And considering that the AZ might not protect against india- brazil or south african variants.
i decided to turn this invite down. And honestly let some tears as i felt sayin no to an emergency exit out of this whole mess.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I had the second dose of the AZ last Friday. The side effects aren’t nearly as bad as after the first dose but I’ve had some high bloods. They’re back in range now and despite the side effects from the first dose I’d do it again as it sure beats the alternative. Covid’s not kind to T1s.

Reactions: Sweetheart66