Newly diagnosed - Bloods sugars all over the place

Pollyisa

I've just been diagnosed with Type 2, and my blood sugars are all over the place - is this usual?

Fasting blood sugar of 9.4, rising to 14.5 a couple of hours after breakfast, and towards the end of the day getting readings of 6.4 and 5.6 (with an 11.6 after dinner).

Are these usual, or completely out of control (like it feels like my life is at the moment!) :)

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Pollyisa and welcome to the forum!
Can you give us a little more information, if you’re comfortable to do so? It’ll help us to help you. First can you give an idea of a typical days food and then let us know what medication you are on if any?

Edit to add, good start getting a blood sugar meter

Pollyisa

Currently on 500mg Metformin - diet isn't amazing, but it's not what I'd call horrendous - yesterday was a Roast Dinner (way too many carbs I'm guessing)

Thinking of switching to more low GI stuff in the hope that helps, as trying to balance this diagnosis along with fussy children, dairy intolerances and food intolerances of other OH is doing my head in!

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
While low GI may help a little, it is better to reduce total carbs (of any colour) as much as is practical. Until you get less than a 2mmol spike from a meal (BG before to BG 2hrs after 1st bite) plus no/rare readings above 8.0 mmol.
So with a roast, eat the meat and te green veg, pass on potatoes , parsnips, carrots. Until/unless you find out if you're an exception and can tolerate them.

Reactions: Pollyisa