chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
Could anyone please offer some advice? I am currently on Humulin I as my long acting insulin and soon to be put on Tresiba, I have just had a phone conversation with my nurse at my GPs who has put together the prescription.
The tresiba has been requested in 3ml cartridges and a NOVO PEN ECHO has been ordered to deliver the tresiba.
Is this correct? I cant find anything on-line to verify a suitable pen for tresiba.
Cheers

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
That's correct

Tresiba is made by nivonordisk

So any of the novopens will work.. The echo just has a digital readout on the end to indicate how long since your last dose

Just remember that tresiba takes about 3 days or so to build up in your system and to start working properly

Any dose changes take upto 3 days to take effect too

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi Searley, thanks for your response. That has put my mind at ease as I sensed a bit of uncertainty on the phone.
Thanks

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi Searley, thanks for your response. That has put my mind at ease as I sensed a bit of uncertainty on the phone.
Thanks

Would normally be a standard novopen not the echo but they take the same cartridges

Hope it works for you.. I was on it for about 5 years

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I use Tresiba cartridges in a Novopen Echo. The Echo pen allows 0.5 unit doses plus a memory indicator of how long since last injection (handy if you have my memory!). As @searley mentions, Tresiba takes some days to build up - I switched straight from Levemir to Tresiba, then suffered a couple of unpleasant days as the Levemir had cleared my system, but the Tresiba was not yet operating at full strength. Maybe taper the transition from Humilin.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes but remember to save yourself extra injecting if you ever reach near 30U of Tresiba to ask for a NovoPen 5, the Echo can only do 30U and 0.5 increments but the NovoPen 5's max is 60U in 1U increments xx

Reactions: oldgreymare

22nw22

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Could anyone please offer some advice? I am currently on Humulin I as my long acting insulin and soon to be put on Tresiba, I have just had a phone conversation with my nurse at my GPs who has put together the prescription.
The tresiba has been requested in 3ml cartridges and a NOVO PEN ECHO has been ordered to deliver the tresiba.
Is this correct? I cant find anything on-line to verify a suitable pen for tresiba.
Cheers
Wait are tresiba cartridges actually a thing? I didn’t know that. I get disposable pens for it, I hope you get along with the Tresiba anyway

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
05bb801c8b6d87f01eb7f4bb99d75b4a.jpg

They do indeed do cartridges

chrisbug

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Radio 1.
Hi,
Thanks for the responses! I was taking 12 units of Humulin I at bedtime, I've begun my Tresiba on 10 units, give it a week to settle in and it's been 5 days now. (Took a while to establish that BD microfine needles do in fact fit NovoPen).
It appears I'm getting much more stable results throughout the day already