Another Libre newbie with queries

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While rest of the questions are answered already I figured if you are interested in a bit more details on what MiaoMiao Xdrip etc is then the pdf I created might be a handy start...

Like @Jaylee said you do not need MiaoMiao with Libre2 and Diabox seems to work quite well in fetching the data from sensor to your phone once paired ... the guide in pdf should walk you through the steps of how to set it up if you are so inclined...

I would add that in my case while I agree that Libre 2 gives relatively accurate readings without calibration they are still quite far off from the mark. For example right now reading on finger prick and Diabox matches at 5.8 but libreview app shows the reading as 4.9.

Hope this helps. :)
Really helpful pdf thanks! Have been looking into the diabox app since Jaylee recommended it on another thread. So far been using libre 1 with libre view app and been happy but thinking forward to my prescription changing to libre 2.

Can you be connected to more than one Bluetooth device at the same time (one being the libre 2 sensor) and get the alarms via the diabox app? Eg if driving and connected to handsfree in the car via bluetooth, would the diabox app still be able to get the sensor readings from the libre 2 and alert you as per your settings? Or if using a Bluetooth headset/headphones (need to for work) would the sensor still be able to communicate with diabox on your phone while the same phone is connected to the headset? Google tells me Bluetooth 5 can do this, and my phone has this. But I don't want to request a script change to libre 2 and then not have access to the alarms while at work or driving, for example. The beauty of the libre 1 is using my phone, so I also don't want to just use the libre 2 reader.

Sorry for the long question!

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Can you be connected to more than one Bluetooth device at the same time (one being the libre 2 sensor) and get the alarms via the diabox app? Eg if driving and connected to handsfree in the car via bluetooth, would the diabox app still be able to get the sensor readings from the libre 2 and alert you as per your settings? Or if using a Bluetooth headset/headphones (need to for work) would the sensor still be able to communicate with diabox on your phone while the same phone is connected to the headset? Google tells me Bluetooth 5 can do this, and my phone has this. But I don't want to request a script change to libre 2 and then not have access to the alarms while at work or driving, for example. The beauty of the libre 1 is using my phone, so I also don't want to just use the libre 2 reader.

Sorry for the long question!

Actually yes... you can have your phone connected to more than one Bluetooth device at the same time. So for example my phone is always connected through Diabox to Libre2, and it is connected to car infotainment unit when driving, my smartwatch at all times as well, and I connect it to speaker every now and then through Bluetooth. Alarms on Diabox work as normal even with multiple Bluetooth connections atleast for me :).

Reactions: UK T1

mattrix

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With libre1, xdrip and miaomiao combination you will get data every 5 minutes. If Libre 1 sensor reads 2.2 on libreview app, it does not necessarily mean sensor is reading it 2.2 as Libre applies a proprietary algorithm but MiaoMiao sends raw readings collected from sensor to Xdrip. Now xdrip in turn applies xdrip standard algorithm so it may show slightly more accurate number but additionally as you can calibrate xdrip, you can actually have it show the number that is very close to finger prick results.

If your deviation on libreview is that high you should actually call Abbott and get the sensor replaced free of charge. They are quite good that way.

Thank you. Reading low has happened with 2 sensors so far; I think its me that needs to be replaced.

So that is a yes? If the sensor indicates 1.8 mmol/L then xdrip will report something similar (uncalibrated).I am using the Libre reader as my phone doesn't support Librelink. I thought it might be the reader imposing the 'Low' display and doing the processing (algorithm). I will have to get a new mobile to use xdrip/diabox.

What exactly is the data sent over the nfc channel from the sensor? I understood it included the last 15 1 minute readings.
What is the process xdrip uses to calibrate the sensor data?

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought a Libre and 2 sensors I thought a couple of months ago but just checked the use by date ...oops seems to say 30th Sept 2020.. Do I have some rather expensive ornaments...?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Bought a Libre and 2 sensors I thought a couple of months ago but just checked the use by date ...oops seems to say 30th Sept 2020.. Do I have some rather expensive ornaments...?

You could always try one and compare it to finger pricks for a while - they all run either low or high anyway, so you might find it’s just out by more than usual but gives an idea of overall patterns?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You could always try one and compare it to finger pricks for a while - they all run either low or high anyway, so you might find it’s just out by more than usual but gives an idea of overall patterns?
I guess I can stick one on when I get the Gluco Navvi strips and do a 3 way test with the Tee2 .. sounds like a plan..!

mattrix

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would try it. I think the 'use by' has more to do with the expected life of the battery inside it.

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @MrsA2

Another Libre newbie here. Finally 'planted' my sensor yesterday and it didn't hurt a bit. I am right handed but sleep on my left, so I stuck it on my left arm. So far so good. I have found out all sorts of information about how my body reacts including a HUGE night low (which I had always suspected I was having but had never managed to record it). I am going to try and get my doctor to prescribe the Libre for me because I feel a huge weight of anxiety the morning highs were causing me lifted off my shoulders. If I cannot get it prescribed, I will pay for it....somehow! I am thrilled with it.

I used my mobile to activate the sensor, it was really easy. I can take readings using my phone, no other equipment required. There are some very helpful videos on YouTube on how to plant the device and use your mobile to activate it and take readings . I used one by a German guy whose channel is called Type One Talks. If you want the link, just say.

Best of luck, you will wonder what you were worried about once you are up and running.

P62

Hi,

You say you sleep on your left, and have the sensor on your left.
This means there is a possibility that the 'huge night time low' may have been a 'pressure low' caused by lying on the sensor.

I sometimes get real lows at night (tend to look like a V on the graph), with a rebound that is a bit higher than my usual night time graph line.
I also sometimes get 'pressure lows' from lying on the dratted thing. When this happens the graph line plummets, runs along flat for a bit, and then rises (when I roll over) back to carry on as usual.

So the two different 'lows' are very easy to distinguish.

Hope that helps!

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi,

You say you sleep on your left, and have the sensor on your left.
This means there is a possibility that the 'huge night time low' may have been a 'pressure low' caused by lying on the sensor.

I sometimes get real lows at night (tend to look like a V on the graph), with a rebound that is a bit higher than my usual night time graph line.
I also sometimes get 'pressure lows' from lying on the dratted thing. When this happens the graph line plummets, runs along flat for a bit, and then rises (when I roll over) back to carry on as usual.

So the two different 'lows' are very easy to distinguish.

Hope that helps!
Hi Brunneria,

Thanks for this, really useful info. I have had two nights with the sensor now. The low glucose alarm woke me both nights and I sat up and tested. They both look more like a V shape. That being said, it might be a better idea for any future sensors to be on my right arm.

P

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Brunneria,

Thanks for this, really useful info. I have had two nights with the sensor now. The low glucose alarm woke me both nights and I sat up and tested. They both look more like a V shape. That being said, it might be a better idea for any future sensors to be on my right arm.

P

if they are waking you up, then the quickest way to get a second opinion is to do a prick test at the time. just make sureyou do prick tests at other times too, so you know how far the Libre is usually out of sync.
Hope you get a clear answer.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Looking at your lovely numbers I think you must being doing everything right at the moment. My blood glucose is your actual living nightmare, up and down all over the place, so I need some of the info that the Libre is giving me to find out what on earth is going on. Perhaps you could use a CGM from time to time to check certain foods and how they affect you etc. Let us know how you are getting on.

Have a lovely day.

P62
Thank you p62
Yes I have been very strict with low carbing so far, due to the help and support on here. Being 'just a type 2' I do have life easier than you and the others out there who have to constantly monitor. I vote for CGMs for all diabetics irrespective of type, location or control.
Viva cgms!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok I created a post which I hope acts as Freestyle Libre 101 - would appreciate if you can provide feedback on whether this is friendlier and easier version.

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/nutribolt.533316/

Direct pdf download link: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/attachments/freestyle-libre-101-pdf.47935/
Wow! Brilliant, and there's me been been picking up bits from others posts and not getting the full picture! This is great thank you.

Proofreading wise there's one "sesnor" and a little more explanation about diabox would be useful

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I guess I can stick one on when I get the Gluco Navvi strips and do a 3 way test with the Tee2 .. sounds like a plan..!

Hi,
Personally, try using the Daibox app with it. You may find the accuracy closer to your strips than the interpritation of the algorithm on the Libre link app?
& as I've just discovered, you can calibrate it too...

I would try it. I think the 'use by' has more to do with the expected life of the battery inside it.

At a guess it could also be the shelf life on filament with the sensor that interprets readings from the interstitial fluid?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Out of date sensors have worked fine for me, but I've seen reports from other people that they don't work at all.

Reactions: bulkbiker

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
After managing to knock off my Libre 2 and having to find myself another one, does anyone else have an alternative site? I know that Abbots recommend the upper arm, but bra straps cause problems there because I have to wear them tight. Any suggestions? I would be grateful.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
After managing to knock off my Libre 2 and having to find myself another one, does anyone else have an alternative site? I know that Abbots recommend the upper arm, but bra straps cause problems there because I have to wear them tight. Any suggestions? I would be grateful.
Hi, mine goes on the back of my arm, about half way down. I haven't had any issues with it there. To put it on I hold my arm straight out in front of me, and the my other arm can reach the under side of the back of my arm. Hope that helps a bit? If you think it was a adhesive issue then libre will replace if you've followed their instructions, but not if you say you knocked it. I find mine stick like limpets! Have got them caught on things (like tighter tops, bag straps etc) loads but it has never been enough to pull one off, not even a bit off.