GTT

Nicole22

I am diabetic type 2 I have been for almost 12 months , we found out at 6 weeks with my previous pregnancy loss. I am now 13 weeks pregnant and have got healthy twins but they have booked me in for a GTT. I will of course fail as I have too take insulin now and be super careful. My HBA1C is at 35 which my diabetic nurse believes is quite low for a diabetic -.- I feel like I can’t do anything right. But my
Results she seems happy with ( my new glucose readings)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
First, congratulations!

Why are you booked for a GTT? I thought those were done to check for (gestational) diabetes, which obviously isn't necessary as you already have diabetes.

Nicole22

First, congratulations!

Why are you booked for a GTT? I thought those were done to check for (gestational) diabetes, which obviously isn't necessary as you already have diabetes.
This is what baffles me , I’m not sure whether they automatically done it due too it being a standard thing but I don’t want it so I will be speaking too my diabetic midwife about this :)

Reactions: Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
This is what baffles me , I’m not sure whether they automatically done it due too it being a standard thing but I don’t want it so I will be speaking too my diabetic midwife about this :)
I can imagine it's an automated system to invite pregnant women, and someone forgot to untick a box or such.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Nicole22 congratulations on your pregnancy.

An HbA1C of 35is an amazing number for someone with diabetes. They are lower than those used to diagnose prediabetes and the only people I have read of with levels that low with Type 1 achieve it through looping. How have you achieved it and what are the reasons for continuing insulin when your levels are so low?

The usual reason nurses are concerned about low HbA1C with diabetes treated with insulin is that such a low level is perceived to only be possible with hypos. I understand in the UK, pregnant women with Type 1 diabetes are now prescribed Libre. Is this available to you? It should alleviate your DSN's fears about your low levels if you can show via your Libre graphs that you are not going low.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am diabetic type 2 I have been for almost 12 months , we found out at 6 weeks with my previous pregnancy loss. I am now 13 weeks pregnant and have got healthy twins but they have booked me in for a GTT. I will of course fail as I have too take insulin now and be super careful. My HBA1C is at 35 which my diabetic nurse believes is quite low for a diabetic -.- I feel like I can’t do anything right. But my
Results she seems happy with ( my new glucose readings)

Hi and congratulations on your pregnancy! :)

Since you are T2, your pregnancy won't be handled the same as if you had T1, even though you are on insulin.
My suggestion would be to get on the phone and see if you can have a chat with someone about this. Don't know your local setup, but it might be the nurse or the doc, or the clinic.

My understanding is that glucose tolerance tests are utterly redundant when on insulin, so there has probably been an error which can be easily corrected.

Let us know how you get on?

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there, congratulations!

You should definitely not have a GTT - this is used to diagnose GDM, as others have said. Could potentially be harmful too - asking you to fast if you are on insulin and then giving you 75g glucose in one go.

Please query this with your diabetes midwife. All the best for the pregnancy with the twins.

D x