No appetite!

Lizzieluvs

Hi everyone, i was diagnosed 3 weeks ago and now in my 3rd week of the Keto diet, on 500mg metformin morning and night but I’m finding it very difficult to eat, at the moment I’m having lunch around 12 and dinner around 5 (because I start work at 6 finish at midnight and don’t have a break in my shift) so I fast from 5pm till midday. I just can’t stand the thought of eating it’s worse with fatty foods and I find it easier to eat fresh/crunchy stuff like lettuce but really I’m just not hungry and I’m just kinda forcing it especially the 5pm meal, I know some people fast and only eat once a day, as I’m only 3 weeks in is it too early to start that? Or is this aversion something that’s comes with the early weeks of Keto? Do I just wait it out?

Thanks

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
I know that people say that Metformin reduces appetite.
Do you need to gain weight?

Lizzieluvs

I know that people say that Metformin reduces appetite.
Do you need to gain weight?
No I need to loose it, I have been loosing 3/4kg a week since starting Keto. I was just worried it was too much of a change too soon going from 3 meals plus snacks before diagnosis 3 weeks ago to one very low carb meal a day.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No I need to loose it, I have been loosing 3/4kg a week since starting Keto. I was just worried it was too much of a change too soon going from 3 meals plus snacks before diagnosis 3 weeks ago to one very low carb meal a day.
Sounds pretty perfect to me although the loss will likely slow down over time.

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I didn't have appetite for quite awhile after I was diagnosed. It might have been the metformin but I think it was all the worry and stress from the diagnosis. It helped with the diet though!

Reactions: Lizzieluvs

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At the start you can easily lose a lot of weight quickly but it stabilises after a while I found. I think I would be concerned if you are saying 3 to 4 kg rather that 0.75kg though. May be my reading comprehension!

when I was on the downward trend, after the initial drop, it then was averaging about 750g to 1000g a week which I read was a healthy drop, it flattens out after a while as the body adapts

Even with metformin I’ve not really had a suppressed appetite but do find some foods fill me up better than others.

when I worked nights in the past, I found it out my appetite changed. You said you work lates, maybe that’s impacting too?

Reactions: Lizzieluvs