What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Yesterday

Breakfast scrambled eggs with cream on buttered sourdough toast

Snack
Queen garnet plum

Dinner made Greek moussaka and Greek salad
Handful of Darrell Lee dark chocolate bullets

Today (cook eat repeat)

Breakfast scrambled eggs with cream on buttered sourdough toast

Dinner heated up left over Greek moussaka and leftover Greek salad

Snack Queen garnet plum and yellow plum

Handful of Darrell Lee dark chocolate bullets

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast usual nut granola, CWC and two large spoonfuls of peanut butter.
Irritating, I bought the lower salt version for MrSlim, but he won't eat it because its smooth, so am eating the lower salt, slightly higher carb one myself now, just to get it out of our very limited cupboard space. While he is eating the lower carb slughtky higher salt chunky version. Honestly I can't win. :banghead:
Cwc. Finished off the chocolate. Naughty Lizzy!:greedy:
Lunch two slices of crispbread with avocado and ham. cup of tea
Tea in the afternoon and more peanut butter.
Dinner reheated, roast chicken, roasted root veg, reshly cooked French beans. Ooh and the mushrooms i forgot to cook yesterday. Poured the chicken fat into a tin added mushrooms and popped in the oven for 15 mins. 2 glasses of wine. No pudding.
CWC in the evening and LC tonic , lemon tea at bedtime.
Did buy ingredients to make cakes, but no baking as yet.
Less cake eating though.:)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone found a good way to thicken a stew? I used to use lentils or Pearl barley in a lamb stew and was wondering if flaxseed or chia seed or something similar would work.
I dont want to add xanthan gum or arrowroot as I’m not keen on the slippery texture, and I don’t think I fancy adding cream to a lamb stew.
Any suggestions?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone found a good way to thicken a stew? I used to use lentils or Pearl barley in a lamb stew and was wondering if flaxseed or chia seed or something similar would work.
I dont want to add xanthan gum or arrowroot as I’m not keen on the slippery texture, and I don’t think I fancy adding cream to a lamb stew.
Any suggestions?

Blitzed cauliflower?

Also, these 3 threads may have ideas:

https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/thickening-sauces.142093/
[URL]https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/thickening-soups-and-stews.113619/[/URL]
[URL]https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/thickening-soups-and-stews.28827/[/URL]

Reactions: Brunneria and DJC3

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Irritating, I bought the lower salt version for MrSlim, but he won't eat it because its smooth, so am eating the lower salt, slightly higher carb one myself now, just to get it out of our very limited cupboard space. While he is eating the lower carb slughtky higher salt chunky version. Honestly I can't win. :banghead:
Could you just add a couple of chopped nuts to the smooth one and tell him its chunky? I think even ground almonds would work, if no peanuts to hand?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Look what I've been given today. An early Mothers day gift from my son. Early because of very prompt delivery, AND most of them are under 2g carbs. Even the highest is under 4. Have tried a mocha and a salted caramel so far. Very nice indeed.
(Obvioisly not as soft and fatty fried as a real doughnut but a very pleasant acceptable low carb treat)
From kinetic kitchen in Bristol
https://www.kinetickitchen.co.uk/
20210310_111609_copy_612x816.jpg
20210310_112030_copy_612x816.jpg

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any suggestions?
I have been using a little cornflour, on the basis the amount is very small when in an entire stew. Dont think it affects my sugars much as part of a meal

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been using a little cornflour, on the basis the amount is very small when in an entire stew. Dont think it affects my sugars much as part of a meal

Thanks but I don’t like cornflower thickened sauces either - they always seem to have the same shiny slipperiness as xanthan gum.
Your Mother’s Day gift looks wonderful btw, what a thoughtful present.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Ah thank you! No idea how I missed these, I was looking around the forum for a couple of hours this morning but kept getting sidetracked by other posts!
There’s bound to be something here I can use.

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Any suggestions?
I've actually used some of the vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli that I have cooked in the stew pureed some of them then stir the pureed vegetables back into the stew. I've used almond flour years ago to make a gravy but it was grainy to eat. I've also seen recipes using konjac flour And unflavoured whey protein but have never tried them

Reactions: DJC3

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've actually used some of the vegetables like cauliflower or broccoli that I have cooked in the stew pureed some of them then stir the pureed vegetables back into the stew. I've used almond flour years ago to make a gravy but it was grainy to eat. I've also seen recipes using konjac flour And unflavoured whey protein but have never tried them

Puréed veg from the stew added back in is a great idea, thank you.
Ive also found almond flour a bit grainy as a thickener, and I don’t have konjac flour or whey protein. The veg option sounds perfect.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Breakfast - GF cornflakes and a little almond milk
Dinner - Sliced courgette rice with mince beef and mushrooms and swig of cream after :angelic:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brined chicken wings tonight. @DJC3 having only previously used my brining mixture on larger pieces of chicken (legs/thighs), I now know how you ate a whole kilo of wings. The skin to meat ratio really makes these extra delicious.

2B1184BA-5E54-4E16-9C39-6B95AF46497D.jpeg

Lunch was pork belly pieces coated in chilli oil and salt and air fried.

Breakfast (yes, I was hungry again today) was some leftover chicken from yesterday’s Nando’s, warmed and skin crisped in the air frier.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Brunch - f/f greek yoghurt with mixed berries & a little double cream drizzled over the top

Dinner - h/m lc lasagne with 1 slc roll toasted with garlic butter on top. S/F jelly & double cream

Nicole T

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not tonight, but I've made Chicken Marengo, twice now. Originally for a laugh (big Red Dwarf fan) but it's one of the nicest dishes I've ever done.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chicken-marengo

I read a few recipes, and ended up doing a hybrid. This one's probably closest, though I used tinned tomatoes, chopped garlic and my own herbs in place of the passata. Traditionally, you garnish with a fried egg and crayfish. I did put the egg on both, and added king prawns in place of the crayfish on the second one.

I estimate under 10g of carbs per hearty portion (mostly the tomatoes.) It doesn't need an accompaniment if you do 3 thighs or a large breast each.. The sauce comes out quite thick, once you've reduced it a bit.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
L: 2 pieces lc soda bread with 2 slices salami and gorgonzola melted under the grill.
A keto doughnut (less 2 bites given to dh and son for tasting). Definitely a treat, I wouldn't have spent the money on myself

D: 1 egg scrambled with bits of chorizo, salami, courgette, pepper, cheese etc.
Half a keto doughnut with 4 teaspoon cream. They do seem to suck up cream rather too nicely

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The chicken marengo looks good @Nicole T I find bbcgood food is surprisingly good for low carb ideas.
@Goonergal that looks SO good! I bought another kilo of wings today - brined but then divided into appropriate meal size bags (3) before freezing - to save me from myself!
Today I took the idea from @Onlinecaroline ‘s post yesterday for lunch: toasted SLC roll topped with avocado, Halloumi, and poached egg, delicious.
Dinner was pork steak with mushroom, garlic and cream sauce. Plus green beans. 1 small glass red wine.
Hoping my tum can cope with the extra cream - the brine doesn’t seem to have an adverse effect which is very good news.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal venison burgers bought from Waitrose 2.2g of carbs a burger (some potato flour I seem to remember) bought several packs on a deal and froze there are two in each pack. You mentioned ted naimans protein protocol recently and I’ve been listening to a few podcasts.im definitely taking some of protocol on board re increasing protein and reducing fat more.
@DJC3 i use celeriac chunks if want a thicker sauce chuck them into curry and stews works well and they go very soft so you can just mash them with fork to thicken up the sauce. I used to love balti chicken with aloo and celeriac works just the same.
@MrsA2 keto donuts look amazing but Luckily didn’t like donuts very much even when I thought I could eat them I’m not that keen on icing on cakes or donuts but pleased you liked your Mother’s Day treat.
Breakfast two boiled eggs with one small hm lc roll cut into solders for dipping!
Can’t make permanent move to black coffee I’ve tried so hard several times now even drinking mainly hot water flavoured with dash of filter coffee so not too bitter. Concerned about amount of double cream over several daily mugs so shifted to a small amount of lacto free milk(high protein low carb) it froths well and takes bitterness off coffee for me. I’ve always drunk weak black tea but not coffee!
Skipped lunch
Mid pm two hm lc chocolate truffles
Dinner two leg of lamb steaks marinated last night in lemon juice, olive oil and herbs served with steamed cauliflower and coleslaw followed by DGF brownie and fage 5% yoghurt ( my fave but inspired by @Goonergal ive added the 0% version to my weekend shopping to compare.)

Last edited:

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Goonergal venison burgers bought from Waitrose 2.2g of carbs a burger (some potato flour I seem to remember) bought several packs on a deal and froze there are two in each pack. You mentioned ted naimans protein protocol recently and I’ve been listening to a few podcasts.im definitely taking some of protocol on board re increasing protein and reducing fat more.
@DJC3 i use celeriac chunks if want a thicker sauce chuck them into curry and stews works well and they go very soft so you can just mash them with fork to thicken up the sauce. I used to love balti chicken with aloo and celeriac works just the same.
@MrsA2 keto donuts look amazing but Luckily didn’t like donuts very much even when I thought I could eat them I’m not that keen on icing on cakes or donuts but pleased you liked your Mother’s Day treat.
Breakfast two boiled eggs with one small hm lc roll cut into solders for dipping!
Can’t make permanent move to black coffee I’ve tried so hard several times now even drinking mainly hot water flavoured with dash of filter coffee so not too bitter. Concerned about amount of double cream over several daily mugs so shifted to a small amount of lacto free milk(high protein low carb) it froths well and takes bitterness off coffee for me. I’ve always drunk weak black tea but not coffee!
Skipped lunch
Mid pm two hm lc chocolate truffles
Dinner two leg of lamb steaks marinated last night in lemon juice, olive oil and herbs served with steamed cauliflower and coleslaw followed by DGF brownie and fage 5% yoghurt ( my fave but inspired by @Goonergal ive added the 0% version to my weekend shopping to compare.)

Thanks for the celeriac tip. I can imagine it would work very well. I really need to go into town for some shopping ( still haven’t replaced my reading glasses that Dennis ate, nor been to Iceland for @maglil55 ‘s soufflé things) can’t get celeriac in the village - there are 2 pasty shops though lol.

I’m having a similar, but opposite battle to you with drinking tea black, I keep trying and failing, yet I found black coffee surprisingly easy to do, and now I prefer it that way.
At least we can each have 1 hot black drink.