Freestyle Libre, applicator without safety lock?

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey
I have been using freestyle Libre from April. And from April till now I had problems with 3 of my sensors. So basically, I open one as usual, another one I turn to open. Then I put one into another and press hard under flat surface and then lift and apply on my skin. But 3 times I had problem with the applicator. So basically as you push the applicator against your skin, there's a safety lock or trigger or whatever it is called, and it goes off if you press hard enough against your skin, then the needle goes and applies the sensor. But it doesn't always work. Sometimes I push and there is no lock, I have to do all the push myself, the needle goes with the speed of hand and I cannot apply it myself as it hurts. And here's my question.

Did it also happen to you that there was no lock in the applicator? If so, did you continue to apply with the pain or reported this to abbot?
(It happened to me with 2 last sensors and I am left without any, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just faulty batch)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would report to Abbott. I had one where the needle that helps the filament go into the skin was protruding over the top of thr applicator - would have been extremely painful to use. Abbott replaced it and provided an envelope to send the full unit back for investigation.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I had to talk to Abbott yesterday (different issue) and they were easy to get hold of and were able to talk through the problem with me and when we could not sort that out, they sent me a replacement sensor.
It sounds as if when you aligned the sensor with the grey part the alignment possibly wasn't correct.
Or there is a major design fault or manufacturing glitch that Abbott need to be made aware of.
As i am partially sighted I find it hard to see this alignment but know when it is correct because the needle goes in with a little pressure (correct) or seems to be 'locked' (incorrect).
Have also made myself bleed doing this so it can get messy.
Good that we only have to do it every 2 weeks!

Reactions: XxTinkerxx

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Did it also happen to you that there was no lock in the applicator? If so, did you continue to apply with the pain or reported this to abbot?
Happened to me once in over 3 years. I called and they sent me a new one.

gbswales

Hey
I have been using freestyle Libre from April. And from April till now I had problems with 3 of my sensors. So basically, I open one as usual, another one I turn to open. Then I put one into another and press hard under flat surface and then lift and apply on my skin. But 3 times I had problem with the applicator. So basically as you push the applicator against your skin, there's a safety lock or trigger or whatever it is called, and it goes off if you press hard enough against your skin, then the needle goes and applies the sensor. But it doesn't always work. Sometimes I push and there is no lock, I have to do all the push myself, the needle goes with the speed of hand and I cannot apply it myself as it hurts. And here's my question.

(It happened to me with 2 last sensors and I am left without any, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or just faulty batch)

gbswales

You say in your question -"I put one into another and press hard under flat surface" -When joining the two parts of the sensor you should not need to apply any strong pressure they gently click into place in your hands. I am wondering if you are aligning the lug on one part with the cut out on the other. Not doing this would cause them not to join properly and might even damage the sensor. I have been using freestyle for almost two years now and never experienced any issues apart from one where I could see the needle part was bent to the side. I reported this and they replaced it for me.