Just want to share my news.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Hi all, just wanted to say I had my Hba1c back and it has come back at 37 :) she offered to take me off metformin as that’s all I take for my type 2.. I said I will wait for my next hba1c as I’m not a strict low carb.if it stays as low I will happily come off my metformin.. what’s weird is, she was concerned it was too low, what baffles me is, they aim to get you to get it down then when you do, they immediately make you feel like you shouldn’t have. Are they in some weird cult where they want you to have higher hba1c as a diabetic or what. Anyway I’m happy with the results.. will let you know how I get on in may for my next lot

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just wanted to say I had my Hba1c back and it has come back at 37 :) she offered to take me off metformin as that’s all I take for my type 2.. I said I will wait for my next hba1c as I’m not a strict low carb.if it stays as low I will happily come off my metformin.. what’s weird is, she was concerned it was too low, what baffles me is, they aim to get you to get it down then when you do, they immediately make you feel like you shouldn’t have. Are they in some weird cult where they want you to have higher hba1c as a diabetic or what. Anyway I’m happy with the results.. will let you know how I get on in may for my next lot
Congratulations and well done to you. Do not let anyone burst your bubble because you have taken care of your own health and should be applauded.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I too was told that I could 'afford to have an HbA1c of 45'. There is an assumption inherent in that that T2 diabetics will not be able to maintain a nondiabetic HbA1c. Which if they follow the standard advice on carbohydrates i.e. continue to consume, aim for Brown pasta, rice etc, may well be true. Talk about a self-fulfilling prophecy!I

Congratulations on your success to date!

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Very well done! Keep up the good work!

Reactions: Dudette1

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Congratulations on seeing all your hard work pay off

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fantastic results, @Dudette1. Lots of hard work and well deserved. A reason for celebrations, certainly.

If I had to guess why they recommend a higher HbA1c, my suspicion would be that they are concerned about hypos --- and might not appreciate that the risk of hypos on metformin only is extremely low (or virtually non-existent). Don't let this get you down.

Again, congrats and really well done.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hi,

Nice work on your numbers..

I may be able to give a little insight into the "too low" syndrome...

If it was a DSN you where dealing with?
In my experience. They get twitchy with an A1c like that with insulin dependant type ones? They assume you "must be having too many hypos."

So a wrongly judged comment in your case. (Considering you are now med free?)
This may explain your HCP's mindset..?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are they in some weird cult where they want you to have higher hba1c as a diabetic or what
I think that may be the answer :)
Or maybe they just see hundreds of people every week whose levels get worse and worse (because they don't follow what we do) and they (the nurses) don't know, and aren't trained what to do with us few (the elite, clever ones ;)) who do buck the trend!

Well done on those results. Be proud!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
@Dudette1
Cracking news, well done.
Going low as you can, without over doing it, has to be a good thing.
You seem to be doing fine.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake

Well done..

The are worse when the hba1c is low and you are on insulin as you MUST be having too many hypos

Anyway well done and good luck keeping it that way

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Huge congratulations. It’s interesting how different medical teams do this. My team was thrilled with 38 and not a question on being too low. Now I’m off the drugs I hope it will stay at that level, but few more months to find out

I think your approach is a good one, especially as you are able to do this alongside the nurse. Putting aside the concerns about low level, having the discussions and having them onside makes a lot of difference I’ve found