Type 1 Diabetic Retinopathy?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Since yesterday morning I have had this black dot in my vision (like a floater but persistent). I haven’t had good eye sight since I changed my glasses. I don’t know if they’re too strong but everything is blurry.

I haven’t had a Diabetic Eye Screening since 2018, due to having a bad flare up with one of my illnesses and obviously 2020 they weren’t doing them because of the pandemic.
I don’t know who to contact either the opticians or the hospital where I last had it done. I’m worried I’m getting diabetic retinopathy and also going blind because I don’t really need it due being under a lot of stress with illnesses and doctors and so many tests to find out why my bladder is not working as I have a catheter permanently at the moment. Any suggestions of who to contact? I’ve emailed my diabetic nurse/dietitian but I don’t think they are in the clinic atm due to the pandemic. Any help is appreciated

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
That sounds quite scary, I hope it's not serious. Why not call your GP first? They should be able to refer you if you need to see an eye doctor. Eye issues don't have to be diabetic related.

Good luck.

Reactions: Alex_B

35yearsofType1

Since yesterday morning I have had this black dot in my vision (like a floater but persistent). I haven’t had good eye sight since I changed my glasses. I don’t know if they’re too strong but everything is blurry.

I haven’t had a Diabetic Eye Screening since 2018, due to having a bad flare up with one of my illnesses and obviously 2020 they weren’t doing them because of the pandemic.
I don’t know who to contact either the opticians or the hospital where I last had it done. I’m worried I’m getting diabetic retinopathy and also going blind because I don’t really need it due being under a lot of stress with illnesses and doctors and so many tests to find out why my bladder is not working as I have a catheter permanently at the moment. Any suggestions of who to contact? I’ve emailed my diabetic nurse/dietitian but I don’t think they are in the clinic atm due to the pandemic. Any help is appreciated
Hi -I would contact the hospital they will be used to having people call as things can deteriorate quickly.

Good luck and I hope you get sorted

Reactions: Alex_B

Dark Horse

First check which eye is affected (by clsoing each eye in turn) then get a same-day appointment with an optician (who will be able to refer you to ophthalmology at the appropriate interval, if required). If the blackness appears like a curtain or gets bigger, go to eye casualty at the hospital as this could indicate a retinal detatchment which should be seen as soon as possible. In the mean time, avoid anything that might increase the pressure in your eye such as stooping or lifting weights.

Reactions: Brunneria