Hi there :) just diagnosed type 2 and plenty of autoimmune!

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there I’ve been looking on this forum over the past few days to escape the absolute panic I have felt when I was diagnosed on Friday! Feels like an absolute lifetime waiting for a follow up today!

I’m 31 years old and fortunate to work in A&E so always have people around to answer questions. I have just been diagnosed after thinking I had a UTI and finding glucose in my urine. Blood sugar came up at 13 so I checked in at work and Doctor did routine bloods. my hba1c was 59.

Also on the same day found out I had a underactive thyroid (runs in family)

Both diabetes and underactive thyroid were confirmed by the doctor when she reviewed my bloods. So have been prescribed levothyroxine and metaformin.

The doctor mentioned in the bloods they were going to test for autoimmune antibodies, because aswell as the underactive thyroid I also have vitiligo (very minor) and alopecia (total hair loss for 7 years) and if all postive they would get me referred to the endo team for further testing!
Does anyone know any more info about why or what that would consist of?

All a lot to take in and I’m abit overwhelmed if I am honest however the doctor has been incredible and seems to be getting on top of everything getting me booked in with the diabetes nurse and eye clinic which is so reassuring!

So thought I would say hello :) instead of lurking in the background.

Leanne

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. At age 31 and unless you have a lot of excess weight, being T1 (LADA) is quite likely. It sounds like the doc will be testing for antibodies such as GAD & IA2 which are the common cause of pancreatic beta cell failure in T1. As there are other causes such as viruses, these days a C-Peptide test is also commonly done to check your actual insulin level. It if it's high that implies T2 and if it's low that implies T1. As you have other conditions at play these may affect any tests or diagnosis. The Metformin will help a bit but if T1 then further meds would be needed. In the meantime, do reduce the carbs in your diet to help reduce blood sugar and possibly weight.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Leanne,

My guess regarding the tests would be to test for Type 1.
Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and, like girls in the toilet in a club (when clubs are open!), they often go around in groups.
Given your other auto-immune diagnosis, type 1 could be a possibility

The tests are GAD and c-peoptide.

Don't panic about T1 - we are a friendly and active bunch.

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi and welcome. At age 31 and unless you have a lot of excess weight, being T1 (LADA) is quite likely. It sounds like the doc will be testing for antibodies such as GAD & IA2 which are the common cause of pancreatic beta cell failure in T1. As there are other causes such as viruses, these days a C-Peptide test is also commonly done to check your actual insulin level. It if it's high that implies T2 and if it's low that implies T1. As you have other conditions at play these may affect any tests or diagnosis. The Metformin will help a bit but if T1 then further meds would be needed. In the meantime, do reduce the carbs in your diet to help reduce blood sugar and possibly weight.

Thank you! Yeh I am slightly overweight but not by huge amounts, as soon as I mentioned the alopecia it sparked her to investigate further! At least i know they are doing all the nessecary steps to get me a correct diagnosis

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Leanne,

My guess regarding the tests would be to test for Type 1.
Type 1 is an autoimmune disease and, like girls in the toilet in a club (when clubs are open!), they often go around in groups.
Given your other auto-immune diagnosis, type 1 could be a possibility

The tests are GAD and c-peoptide.

Don't panic about T1 - we are a friendly and active bunch.

Thank you :) always abit daunting however I’ve found this forum a lot of help already

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Lva1989 :)

Yes the autoimmune conditions do tend to go hand in hand - I take levothyroxine for an underactive thyroid which was diagnosed about 4 years after my t1 diagnosis, i'd lost some hair but was gaining weight and feeling exhausted, so getting the right dosage of levethyroxine helped in all these areas, it took a few month to settle down. It's good you have a great doctor, it's vital to get good support so hopefully you will get some answers soon.

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello and welcome @Lva1989 :)

Yes the autoimmune conditions do tend to go hand in hand - I take levothyroxine for an underactive thyroid which was diagnosed about 4 years after my t1 diagnosis, i'd lost some hair but was gaining weight and feeling exhausted, so getting the right dosage of levethyroxine helped in all these areas, it took a few month to settle down. It's good you have a great doctor, it's vital to get good support so hopefully you will get some answers soon.

Thank you yes I was very surprised, it’s the first time
I have been to my GP since moving house over 2 years ago and compared to my last surgery they are fab!

Reactions: Juicyj

Woolpaul

welcome to the club and ask away its very useful advice here.

Im just new too last 9 weeks and was diagnosed hbac1 70 mmol.

im convinced i have thyroid issues now as i was borderline hypothyroid in blood levels three months ago, did you have any symptoms re your thyroid so i can see if i have any similarities?

Thanks Paul

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
welcome to the club and ask away its very useful advice here.

Im just new too last 9 weeks and was diagnosed hbac1 70 mmol.

im convinced i have thyroid issues now as i was borderline hypothyroid in blood levels three months ago, did you have any symptoms re your thyroid so i can see if i have any similarities?

Thanks Paul

Hi Paul

I have felt very lethargic and tired recently, also abit low mood! but as we all do a lot of the time I put it down to other contributing factors
Lockdown and not being able to see my partner
Night shifts in A&E
Having covid in January quite badly
I’ve had mine checked regularly in the past and has never even been borderline so is a new thing!

I’m very much one of those people who just carries on as if nothing is wrong, never take time off work, but others have said I didn’t seem my normal self
So I guess it makes sense

Hope they will check it for you? Maybe share your concerns as the doctor said to me today they can quite often go hand in hand

Leanne

Reactions: Woolpaul

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Lva1989
Wow, thats a lot of external factors on top of the bodily ones! I'm impressed you are still upright and working. Some time off wouldn't go amiss.

Also there seem to be a number of people being diagnosed with diabetes after having had covid. Not sure if this is being counted somewhere, but we've had a fair few join here. I suppose only time will tell.

Do look after yourself, I think your body is trying to tell you you've been through/doing too much

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lva1989
Wow, thats a lot of external factors on top of the bodily ones! I'm impressed you are still upright and working. Some time off wouldn't go amiss.

Also there seem to be a number of people being diagnosed with diabetes after having had covid. Not sure if this is being counted somewhere, but we've had a fair few join here. I suppose only time will tell.

Do look after yourself, I think your body is trying to tell you you've been through/doing too much

Oh that’s interesting you say that! As in being falsely diagnosed? Or covid has just kick started it?

Yes I do love abit of pressure, also doing a degree so studying on top! But that’s how I’ve always been haha I did recognise though that I needed to take some time to kinda digest this all and have had a few days off
Thank you :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
s in being falsely diagnosed? Or covid has just kick started it?
I think the diagnosis is real, just jury's out on whether it was pre-existing not yet diagnosedor is newly created by Covid, and whether its permanent or temporary

There a thread on here somewhere....try the search box

Reactions: Lva1989

Gafspa

I’m recently diagnosed with with type 1 diabetes. Like others had said it was suggested could be from having from Covid.
I also have an under active thyroid for 11 years. When I was in hospital and first diagnosed a doctor said that once you had one autoimmune disease others often come. I can’t remember the name she used for the syndrome.

sounds like you’ve had a hell off a week. Go easy on yourself.

Reactions: Lva1989
Hi there I’ve been looking on this forum over the past few days to escape the absolute panic I have felt when I was diagnosed on Friday! Feels like an absolute lifetime waiting for a follow up today!

I’m 31 years old and fortunate to work in A&E so always have people around to answer questions. I have just been diagnosed after thinking I had a UTI and finding glucose in my urine. Blood sugar came up at 13 so I checked in at work and Doctor did routine bloods. my hba1c was 59.

Also on the same day found out I had a underactive thyroid (runs in family)

Both diabetes and underactive thyroid were confirmed by the doctor when she reviewed my bloods. So have been prescribed levothyroxine and metaformin.

The doctor mentioned in the bloods they were going to test for autoimmune antibodies, because aswell as the underactive thyroid I also have vitiligo (very minor) and alopecia (total hair loss for 7 years) and if all postive they would get me referred to the endo team for further testing!
Does anyone know any more info about why or what that would consist of?

All a lot to take in and I’m abit overwhelmed if I am honest however the doctor has been incredible and seems to be getting on top of everything getting me booked in with the diabetes nurse and eye clinic which is so reassuring!

So thought I would say hello :) instead of lurking in the background.

Leanne

Hi I’m in the same situation as you at the moment but my thyroid has gone from being mega over to not working so loads of tests and I defo have autoimmune type one so’s I’m on metformin and insulin so far I’ve felt a world wind of emotion but I’ve got my blood sugar levels balanced at the moment good luck on your journey

Lva1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I’m in the same situation as you at the moment but my thyroid has gone from being mega over to not working so loads of tests and I defo have autoimmune type one so’s I’m on metformin and insulin so far I’ve felt a world wind of emotion but I’ve got my blood sugar levels balanced at the moment good luck on your journey

Good luck to you too! It’s hard isn’t it being not just the one thing to be concerned about. Good that you’ve got them level though, am going to start monitoring my blood sugars from
Next week