Type 1'stars R Us

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Very rainy here. Drapery sheets of water coming down. We had to put up the canopy as the dogs were refusing to go out the back door. Luckily it stopped for about an hour when we decided we needed it so we didn't get wet. Then we were wondering if we were really needing it...............and now our county is under a flash flood warming. We are not in a flood area so it isn't an issue for us, but we will gets lots more rain. But our one major road is closed on the north shore again. Lots of rain still due for tomorrow too. We had dentist appointments up there tomorrow that would get canceled but they had already called to change it earlier today as a cap ordered hadn't arrived yet.

Reactions: hh1

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, after a few lovely days which felt as if spring was on the way it's absolutely chucking it down here. Have been working like crazy in the garden as I knew this weather was coming and now I'm grounded - everywhere is sodden, obviously heavy rain overnight and it's set to continue for several days. No wondert he West country's so green. I can sympathise with you @Marie 2, though usually I don't get cut off from going places (though it has happened in the past).

Been struggling a bit with bgs; adjusting for extra exercise and a curry doens't seem as straightforward as it used to! Hope everyone else is doing better with that than me at the moment!

Reactions: Marie 2

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello there friends,

I’m finishing up my annual leave so I thought I’d pop on to say hello. I’ve had my second Pfizer vaccine, this time it hurts and I got a huge lump from it. Headaches and high BG included :(

I took a wee break from wearing my sensor and I’m praying my team won’t be angry at me about it. But I’ve reconnected myself and sensor is doing fine.

I’m looking forward to spring and summer, we need that sunshine and DIY BBQ feast :)

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@MeiChanski It's nice taking breaks from a sensor off and on, it feels very freeing, but then as I'm finger pricking every 2 hours I eventually decide my fingers much prefer wearing a sensor!

@hh1 We literally have one major road around the island and it only goes 2/3 of the way around. The rest of the area is a national park. There are small branches off of that main road for small housing areas and a couple of more major roads off of it for larger towns, but it always is back to that one road to get from town to town. So parts get closed for a day or two for repairs, they try to keep it to night only.

The north area is very commonly closed because of river flooding the road, the more immediate problem is a bays beach on the east side has all but disappeared this year. They rerouted some of the water from the biggest river to another river for development on the west side and taking that water really changed the way the bay functioned? You can't see the difference in the water amount itself but it seems to have really caused a problem. Now the ocean has washed away a small parking lot that's been there forever next to the bridge and road crossing the river, and the ocean is hitting 10 feet away from that major road. If that goes, it will cut in half the islands access. That is a biggy as it will separate access for half the towns.

The odds are the way this state functions, they will wait until it happens. They will do some kind of temporary fix, get the military to put in a portable bridge if needed and then take years to fix it lol...................

Reactions: MeiChanski

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello,

I’ve been enjoying matcha tea, so I decided to brew a dirty iced vanilla matcha latte (with espresso). :)

I spoiled my birthday gift because I gave my boyfriend a very valid reason - if it’s something that I can wear I can’t wear it at work - watches, jewellery etc. Especially with COVID-19, I don’t want germs lurking on it. So he bought me a baby g watch and I love it, :)

For diabetes side of things, 4.9 this morning and 11.9 during lunch, diabetes didn’t like the smoothie I suppose.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Waves somewhat wearily. As predicted, being back in the workplace full-time is excellent for my blood sugars, insulin sensitivity, step counts and lockdown weight gain is reversing very nicely.

Today, however, had me the angriest my current colleagues have ever seen me (I'm generally very even-keeled at work and whilst I express my opinions it's rare for me to do so in the ways I did today). Luckily, we all felt the same way.... and had mostly got it out if our systems before the students arrived. Once they had been updated on the State of Things, um, they were angrier than us!!

Still, we ended up having a much better day than originally predicted. And all our energy was put to better use in a Grand Sort the Cupboards and move the room around.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Well hopefully my temporary cap lasts a long time, or I'll have to go to another dentist. We just had a major landslide on the road to the North Shore and it's going to be a while before it opens. They have been closed off before because of this same area having a landslide that was cleaned up and re enforced with wiring etc. But this much of the hill wasn't going to be contained. They will have to get out by boat or helicopter when needed. They've already started boat ferrying. I think they were closed off months the last time and then traffic was one lane and residents only to get to work etc for many more months. This will take a while.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well hopefully my temporary cap lasts a long time, or I'll have to go to another dentist. We just had a major landslide on the road to the North Shore and it's going to be a while before it opens. They have been closed off before because of this same area having a landslide that was cleaned up and re enforced with wiring etc. But this much of the hill wasn't going to be contained. They will have to get out by boat or helicopter when needed. They've already started boat ferrying. I think they were closed off months the last time and then traffic was one lane and residents only to get to work etc for many more months. This will take a while.
Having read your explanation of roadways on your island Marie I don't envy you - and this sounds like yet another problem! Fingers crossed for your tooth!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I personally will not have an issue if the road below us goes! It cuts off all of the major retail.............I can mail order if I have to have something. We have 2 supermarkets in town here. It cuts off the airport.........that I will love, I prefer non travelers anyways lol..................But it will really suck for all the people that work on the other side. I bet they will do a temporary fix pretty quickly as it cuts the island access in half.

But the north shore was just barely starting to recover between the last landside and then Covid. I'm not sure how they will get on now. There is no temporary fix other than taking a boat or helicopter. And for me my dentist is now up there so hopefully my teeth behave for a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: hh1

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone have a good day
FB_IMG_1613155696638.jpg

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
I don't know if you guys get to watch a TV show called Tough As Nails? Season 2 has a female 41 yer old pipe wielder competing that’s a type 1 diabetic. “Sarah”. Always happy to see a type 1 spotlighted doing a very tough job for anyone! So far she's doing well.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Rain, rain and more rain. We are safe where we are, we are higher up and in an area where water drains nicely. Streets all over are getting flooded out below, but still drive-able so far. But lots of water and more rain still coming. Overall most areas are weathering it okay, but some areas are being flooded. Everyone is still out and about. Boy did they underestimate this storm.

They have piled sand bags trying to protect the major road from the ocean, You can see some of the higher waves splash into the guardrail sometimes. Now this was amusing, in the paper today they announced our county is taking measures to protect the parking lot at the bridge. The parking lot that fell into the ocean already a couple of months ago????And only the first 6 feet slab is left and then ocean? That is where the sandbags are, but they are to hopefully there to stave off undermining the road.

Reactions: Clivethedrive

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, just been out for a walk in which we encountered terrific wind, a hail storm, very low black clouds - then the wind just stopped and the sun came out! @marie, bet you're wishing that'd happen where you are. Sadly we certainly haven't seen the last of the rain and wind here yet, but it's nothing like yours.

Wherever you are, hope you have a good, unflooded weekend.

Last edited:

CristyN29

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great day so far wanted to do a muckbang day, ate some pastry with milk and cereal for breakfast some pita kebab style with fries yummy for lunch and a big pizza for dinner with some biscuits and chocolate snacks, 300 carb ish total, highest number on meter 110 1hr post breakfast , averaging at about 85-90 ish with some dips into 60s, lazy day playing some video games. Used 1:10 ratio with fiasp