Low carb sweet/chocolate recommendations.

Blackheath_Teahut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on low carbs, averaging between 10 and 30 carbs a day for a month and a half and though I don't get cravings for sweet things often, when they do come, I am ravenous for anything sweet. I bought low sugar sweets from Holland and Barret and M&S and was eating those without realising the carb content was about 3 carbs per sweet, so that added up fast. They went in the bin.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the very lowest-carb sweet things please?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hartleys 10 cal jellies (individual pots) have a carb count of less than 1g per pot depending on flavour, if you’re not averse to sweeteners. Tasty with some extra thick double cream :hungry:

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I like Montezuma’s Absolute Black, comes in a range of flavours and is 7-8g carbs per 100g. They have just released mini-eggs with peanut butter-choccie filling which are rather good. But all completely not-sweet, so you might need to work up to them!

Reactions: Blackheath_Teahut

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my sweet go tos are
Double cream
Ff greek creamy yoghurt
Dark chocolate, preferably 85 or 90 , i struggle with the 100%

After a few months I have started doing some keto baking using sweetners, but cutting it into small portions and putting straight in the freezer or else it's too tempting to eat too much at once.
I would like to kick sweetners in the long term but they are a useful crutch . This is way of eating for life after all and sometimes life needs sweet (imho)

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
My husband's taken to making berry ice cream by mixing frozen berries with FF no sugar greek yoghurt in a food processor and adding a tea spoon of splenda (our go to artificial sweetener because you can cook with it). He's a bit approximate with the quantities (roughly equal berries and yoghurt) but a typical batch is pretty low carb and is enough for 4....

Really delicious and surprisingly low carb, given that conventional ice cream is full of them.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me, Lindt 85% dark chocolate, and Niederegger dark chocolate marzipan bars.

I don't consider low carb as a restrictive "punishment" diet so I'll eat occasional sweet treats that tend not to affect my glucose levels, and one of the first things I
did after starting low carbing was to work out how to bake low carb cakes, biscuits, etc, using nut flours, and erythritol/stevia, which I'll also use to add a bit of sweetness to my drinks or berries and cream.etc.

You could maybe also do a forum search as I've seen a number of recent posts/threads regarding suppliers of ready made low carb/"keto" cake/biscuit type treats.

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been on low carbs, averaging between 10 and 30 carbs a day for a month and a half and though I don't get cravings for sweet things often, when they do come, I am ravenous for anything sweet. I bought low sugar sweets from Holland and Barret and M&S and was eating those without realising the carb content was about 3 carbs per sweet, so that added up fast. They went in the bin.

Does anyone have any recommendations for the very lowest-carb sweet things please?

I couldn’t get away with the dark chocolate always loved milk chocolate in my “old life”. I’ve found Fulfil Hazlenut Chocolate bars very good, but try and wait til they’re on offer. I think that is the closest to a “real” chocolate bar. I also like Free’ist Strawberries & Cream White Chocolate bar. I generally look at the protein bars as they are lower in sugar, some of the cheaper ones are horrible though. The bars made by Grenade are probably the next best after these other two options. Oh and Free’ist Marshmallows are good too.

Blackheath_Teahut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I found an online carb show which sells things like rhubarb and custard, sour apple, sherbert lemon type boiled sweets so ordered some. They weren't very sweet and had polyols in them. I ate about 8 of one packet and my god, I don't think I have ever run to the toilet so many times in one day/night in my life. My stomach was like a volcano.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat things which are over sweetened these days so I make up a sugar free jelly with extra gelatine - I have been thinking of adding even more gelatine and pouring it into a shallow tray for a result which is stiff enough to need to be cut into strips using scissors.
I have had a similar reaction to polyols and do not eat them now.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
85% or 90% Lindtt dark chocolate with or without peanut butter on top
Extra thick/double cream with or without sugar free jelly
Montezuna do a lot of different flavours on line - I have tried and like them all

juneHamp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I found a great chocolate company that makes low sugar, low carb, dairy, gluten and soy free chocolate bars in a great range of flavours. Called Heavenly Chocolate.

SMS1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a carob bar( very much like chocolate) with coconut sugar the other day-really tasty-didn't test after though.