low carb foods ie bread

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning

not sure if this has been asked before so apologise if it has. im wanting to start on low carb diet but im not sure how to go about it, i picked up 2 different types of low carb bread when i finished work a hi low one and a hovis one which one is better in regards to taste etc

im type 2 diabetic on two different lots of insulin but after my last hba1c i was left shocked as it had risen to 117 from 106 the year before not the way i thought it would go. my dn assures me that on my next blood test the result will be very different but i can help thinking it wont. its the way i deal with things

im also doing a online food shop for tomorrow so was going to put a few things on there

any help please

Reactions: Nodemus

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have used both, but prefer the Hi-Lo. The hovis one is a conventional bread made lower somehow and strikes me as very processed. The Hi-Lo on the other hand is high in seed content which takes a bit of getting used to.

Just my humble opinion.

Reactions: teddybear74

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I like the HiLo bread but only ever have it as toast. Its protein content comes from soya which helps with bone health.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the HiLo bread but only ever have it as toast. Its protein content comes from soya which helps with bone health.

Yeah, I mainly have it toasted too. Marmite is my main choice, for breakfast, lunch, and even an evening snack of BG a bit low before bed.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal . @teddybear74 look at the nutritional info on the packs and compare carbs per 100g to see which is lowest.
I haven’t tried the Hovis but I’ve tried and liked the HiLo. It’s just that the slices are so small. I keep to a very low carb diet so would only allow myself 1 slice and I didn’t feel it was enough.
Now I mostly eat Seriously Low Carb rolls. They are expensive compared to standard bread but the rolls are a good size and perfect for a packed lunch or bacon sandwich. https://seriouslylowcarb.com/produc...72327&pr_ref_pid=4345206276199&pr_seq=uniform

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the tag @Goonergal . @teddybear74 look at the nutritional info on the packs and compare carbs per 100g to see which is lowest.
I haven’t tried the Hovis but I’ve tried and liked the HiLo. It’s just that the slices are so small. I keep to a very low carb diet so would only allow myself 1 slice and I didn’t feel it was enough.
Now I mostly eat Seriously Low Carb rolls. They are expensive compared to standard bread but the rolls are a good size and perfect for a packed lunch or bacon sandwich. https://seriouslylowcarb.com/produc...72327&pr_ref_pid=4345206276199&pr_seq=uniform

thanks for al the replies. what are the best cereals to have as im up at 12.45 for work till 7 am then home sleep lunch ideas would be great and dinner ideas please. i dont have any means to cook anything in work and dont fancy anything cooked when i get up

Reactions: DJC3

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
thanks for al the replies. what are the best cereals to have as im up at 12.45 for work till 7 am then home sleep lunch ideas would be great and dinner ideas please. i dont have any means to cook anything in work and dont fancy anything cooked when i get up
If you can put a lunchbox in a fridge at work you could include cold meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, which are all very filling. If you cook up a pack of high meat sausages and boil half a dozen eggs they should keep in fridge for several days and will be useful to add to the lunchbox. Supermarkets sell a variety of cooked meats, cooked chicken thighs are inexpensive and useful in a hurry. Protein like this is surprisingly filling and you won't miss carbs from bread. Oc you can also add lettuce, cucumber, celery, sparingly tomatoes and coleslaw. Also tinned tuna, salmon, ready made egg mayo. Its just a whole new mindset. Enjoy your new eating regime and best wishes.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you can put a lunchbox in a fridge at work you could include cold meat, cheese, hard boiled eggs, which are all very filling. If you cook up a pack of high meat sausages and boil half a dozen eggs they should keep in fridge for several days and will be useful to add to the lunchbox. Supermarkets sell a variety of cooked meats, cooked chicken thighs are inexpensive and useful in a hurry. Protein like this is surprisingly filling and you won't miss carbs from bread. Oc you can also add lettuce, cucumber, celery, sparingly tomatoes and coleslaw. Also tinned tuna, salmon, ready made egg mayo. Its just a whole new mindset. Enjoy your new eating regime and best wishes.

im in work for 2 am so not sure the eggs etc i would be able to stomach that early but thanks

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You could just have Greek yoghurt and berries for breakfast. Have you looked at https://www.dietdoctor.com? It’s an excellent website. It has loads of recipe ideas from very simple cold plates ( meat and cheese basically) to cooked meals to cover all tastes. Indian, Chinese, pizza, etc and ideas for breakfasts: granola, bulletproof coffee, all sorts of things.
They also have very good explanations and shopping guides for low carb foods, plus articles and podcasts.
As @PenguinMum has said, it’s just a different mindset and you’ll soon find its second nature.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tend to stick to 3 which I have tested at length so know don’t affect my BS too much - Hovis Sunflower and Pumpkin Seed and Tesco High Protein both @ 9g carbs per slice or Hovis Wholemeal seeded (in orange wrapper) @ 13g carb per slice - they are all quite thick so one slice loaded with filling is ideal for a sandwich or toasted with a couple of poached or scrambled egg.

Jo123

I go for either hi lo or livlife bread from waitrose, the hovis bread is double the carbs of those two so I wouldn't touch it.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I mix up a porridge of milled flaxseed and chia seeds with a little oatbran.
2sp flaxseed, 1sp chai seeds, half sp oatbran with cinnamon and either pumpkin or sunflower seeds.
Mix with plenty of water and coconut milk, zap in microwave for about 2.5 minutes in a deep bowl.
serve with double cream.
I mix up enough for a week.

If you aren't keen on chia or flaxseed try it first with a little more oatbran and slowly reduce that.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
and for bread try 90 second almond bread, made with ground almonds
I like it made with a bit of cream cheese or with some milled flaxseed - the cream cheese cuts the eggy taste.
It is great split in half and toast if having with cheese?

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - I am also a big fan of the seriously low carb bread & rolls

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ewelina hello. I’m sorry to be a nuisance but in your recipe there are 3 ingredients I have never used: oat bran; wheat bran; and unflavoured protein powder. Where do you buy these? Will I find them in the supermarket?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@ewelina hello. I’m sorry to be a nuisance but in your recipe there are 3 ingredients I have never used: oat bran; wheat bran; and unflavoured protein powder. Where do you buy these? Will I find them in the supermarket?

I bought them in Holland&Barrett some time ago. Also check on amazon. Hope you will like the bread :)

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@ewelina I’ll see if I can source the ingredients and then I’ll have a go. Thanks for your help.

Reactions: ewelina