Metformin

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
On my 3rd week and upped to 3 pills a day.
But my stomach is so upset and having to rush to the toilet every hour or so.

Is this normal?!

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
On my 3rd week and upped to 3 pills a day.
But my stomach is so upset and having to rush to the toilet every hour or so.

Is this normal?!
Unfortunately some people do get stomach issues
Are you on the slow release version? You can have that prescribed if not, but definitely worth raising with your team as you shouldn’t suffer!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep that's why I stopped taking it.. changed what I ate instead.

Unfortunately some of us seem very susceptible to the gastric upset from metformin.

Reactions: EllieM

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @DisneyGuy ,
If the extended release metformin still causes you toilet issues, then consider ditching it and just going Low Carb.
Many in this forum have done exactly that, since a Low Carb way of eating has a much bigger effect on Blood Glucose than Metformin does.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@DisneyGuy Hello. I find that taking metformin after my meal instead of before really helps with stomach problems. Are you taking the 1 after each of your 3 meals?

Last edited:

Mrsg11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @DisneyGuy I'm also on 3 a day & find taking it after my meals has prevented the stomach side effects, def worth a try, goodluck!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I managed two tablets a day twice - just on one I was feeling that I might turn inside out, but was assured that it would all calm down quite soon.
Yeah.
Right.
I suspect that if you are sensitive, or you develop a sensitivity to Metformin, persevering just makes it worse.
When things got really bad, I just stopped taking the tablets, and found out that I did not need them - my blood glucose levels were normal and stayed normal.

SOTR

I felt quesy with normal Metformin. Switch to the SR version, just ask your doctor.
I really dont see why everyone is not put on the SR version first of all, this seems a very common side effect.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I felt quesy with normal Metformin. Switch to the SR version, just ask your doctor.
I really dont see why everyone is not put on the SR version first of all, this seems a very common side effect.
One word: cost
It’s a cheap drug either way but think of how many millions are prescribed it, even a few pence more soon mounts up especially as most prescribed metformin in the UK would get free prescriptions (I say most as am not totally familiar with its prescription outside of diabetes that is eligible)

Last edited:

DisneyGuy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Negative people and negative outlooks.
Diabetes lol
Thanks for the advice all, next week I'm due to go up to 4 a day and some days are better than others im going to push through for now and see what I'm like 2 or 3 weeks time. Although I had a moment of dizziness this morning as well and im drinking so much fluid due to the constant bathroom trips due to these **** things.

Giving it time to settle as suggested by my DN, but this has been a rough experience. I dont normally react so much to things like this.

Blue3

I suffered as you are rushing to the loo, feeling nauseous, tummy ache just feeling generally unwell, infact totally wiped out with tiredness.

I Started on Metformin on the 06th January 2021 with 500mg per day increasing the daily dose every seven days until I reached 2000mg I am not on slow release Metformin, I wanted to be able to take all my medication in one go in the morning as trying to remember to fit tablets into my day was never going to be easy for me, prior to this I checked with my diabetic nurse who said this was fine as long as I could tolerate the side effects.

The first week was fine I had no side effects
Second week still fine
Third week started to feel effects as listed
Fourth week really suffering

This continued until week six and I was all for giving up when I happened upon this site and asked for advice, I got loads all of which I took onboard but to see what would work best for me I conducted a number of trials upon myself to ascertain their effectiveness, I need to stress this is my findings based on myself and not scientifically checked so it may be different for you. But these are my findings.

As a relief from feeling bloated or nauseous peppermint tea or peppermint chewing gum work well, eating at set times also helps how ever life can get in the way so be prepaired to have a snack if needed a few nuts works well for me.

I tried various small snacks to consume at the time of taking my medication around 08:00 and settled upon a small bowl of rolled oats with skimmed milk, with this I drink a litre of water and a couple of cups of tea I have tried taking tablets before food after food and even mid food it appeared to make no difference.

I moved my main meal time from early evening to lunch time around 13:00 consisting of lots of green and root vegetables a piece of protein, NO breads or white pasta, rice but I do allow myself a couple of meals per week to include a small amount of brown basmati rice, whole wheat pasta or boiled potato around 70/100g dry weight

Around 18:00 I will have somthing like some fruit Apple banana or if I am a bit hungry then I am partial to cold tin of baked beans

I try to not eat past this time but if I do get the munchies I have a hand full for almonds

This has resolved all my issues with taking Metformin other than feeling washed out and tired until I read that Metformin affects the bodies ability to absorbe vitamin B12 this together with constant lockdown causing lack of sunlight vitamin D deficiency I decided to take a daily multivitamin which after only one week I found the tiredness completly passed

Foods I know that effect me are processed foods anything that has been altered from its original state therefore I buy only raw ingreadants and cook everything from scratch, I have stopped eating sweets even ones without sugar as the sweetness I found really gave me problems, I have stopped drinking alcohol.

My findings are with the tiredness now gone and lots of things I used to eat or drink now off the menu the days can appear to be endless but it's not all doom and glum I am loosing weight and feeling better than I have for several years even to the point that the thought of exercise is starting to appeal to me, in the future I hope to reintroduce some of those things currently off the menu but only as now and then treats .

Stick with it good luck let us know how you get on and share what works for you

Last edited:

RICK-59

I can't say I had any problems with metformin and I was on 4 metformins 500mg and 2 glicazide 80mg a day, having said that, my dr prescribed omaprazol when I first started taking metformin, back in 2010