Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome @Yousaf121

Yes you should either get a meter or ketone sticks, however as a type 1 diabetic of 9 years I think i've only tested for ketones once, but I do manage my condition very carefully, if my levels were more erratic so running high frequently or I was suffering from other conditions that impacted on my condition then I would probably use them. So personally I don't feel they are necessary - are you newly diagnosed ?

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hello @Yousaf121 There isn't a best one as such, just any that will measure them will do or ketone sticks.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
@Yousaf121 As both of your threads share the same title I have merged them into one, thanks J

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Which Type are you? It doesn't state under your avatar

If you are Type 1 then yes they should but if your Type 2 then they don't have to as Type 2's are less likely to ever develop ketones as they still produce insulin
xx

Polgara

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - the NHS can provide this

My husband has a Glucomen Areo as his NHS provided meter - it can test for ketones as well as glucose. He got it as a replacement for his old meter at a hospital appt in 2020. You just need the ketone strips. Hub has both types of strips on hiss repeat prescription - though since changing to this meter he has rarely had to test for ketones so is still on his first box.

I will say - its not my favourite meter to use - it seems to error more than my Contour Next - but it is very reassuring to have a ketone meter for times of illness.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Do note that it can very much depend on your CCG, I was refused ketone blood testing strips (though they did give me some urine testing ones) until I got a pump and the hospital told them to add to my prescription.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My gp and consultant never issued keytone test.. my consultant asked me once if I get keytones I said how would I know.. but still never gave me any

It was one of the first things the hospital gave me when moving to pump

Yousaf121

Which Type are you? It doesn't state under your avatar

If you are Type 1 then yes they should but if your Type 2 then they don't have to as Type 2's are less likely to ever develop ketones as they still produce insulin
xx

I am type 2 but my readings are very high

Yousaf121

Yes - the NHS can provide this

My husband has a Glucomen Areo as his NHS provided meter - it can test for ketones as well as glucose. He got it as a replacement for his old meter at a hospital appt in 2020. You just need the ketone strips. Hub has both types of strips on hiss repeat prescription - though since changing to this meter he has rarely had to test for ketones so is still on his first box.

I will say - its not my favourite meter to use - it seems to error more than my Contour Next - but it is very reassuring to have a ketone meter for times of illness.

Thank you

Yousaf121

Hello and welcome @Yousaf121

Yes you should either get a meter or ketone sticks, however as a type 1 diabetic of 9 years I think i've only tested for ketones once, but I do manage my condition very carefully, if my levels were more erratic so running high frequently or I was suffering from other conditions that impacted on my condition then I would probably use them. So personally I don't feel they are necessary - are you newly diagnosed ?

Thanks Juicyj, from last 6 years I am diabetic and lots of other conditions which I am suffering. My doctors told me that my ketones are very high. that's why I think to get a ketones meter to monitor my self.