Carnivore Corner

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is there a decent calculator for carnies? Or need I not worry so much as some stuff I've read suggests?

I don’t count calories. If you’re only eating animal products, especially meat, fish and eggs, I wouldn’t worry. Just eat to satiety and stop. Eat if you’re hungry and don’t if you’re not. You might want to consider eating fattier cuts of meat and red meat, especially beef, is more nutrient dense than chicken. I’d urge caution with dairy as it’s very easy to overeat.

You might also find this thread useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-calories-query.180357/

Vidar

I don’t count calories. If you’re only eating animal products, especially meat, fish and eggs, I wouldn’t worry. Just eat to satiety and stop. Eat if you’re hungry and don’t if you’re not. You might want to consider eating fattier cuts of meat and red meat, especially beef, is more nutrient dense than chicken. I’d urge caution with dairy as it’s very easy to overeat.

You might also find this thread useful: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/low-carb-calories-query.180357/

Thank you so much for this, I was starting to get pretty stressed out by seeing myself going over my calories by quite a lot and thinking I wasn't going to be losing any weight etc. Obviously I will be weighing myself once a week still and can judge off of that and may actually starting taking measurements to see if my waist starts coming down even if I'm not losing weight or not as much as I'd like. While dropping the weight so I can get surgery is the most important thing long term, I'm desperate to get myself back into remission as well.

Dinner today is peppered steak and chicken wings, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dinner today is peppered steak and chicken wings, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Sounds good. Measurements a very good idea. And don’t worry if weight loss is slow at first. Getting those blood sugars down and getting good eating habits in place is the priority and other stuff will follow.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have lost over 3 stone in a year, and haven't counted a single calorie. Just tried to stay under 20g carbs initially, now I don't count anything.
And 20 is much easier to count to than 1900 ,much easier for my little brain :)

Reactions: DJC3

Vidar

I have lost over 3 stone in a year, and haven't counted a single calorie. Just tried to stay under 20g carbs initially, now I don't count anything.
And 20 is much easier to count to than 1900 ,much easier for my little brain :)

Thank you for this, I have a lot of weight to lose as I was already too big before my injury but it's piled on since and hate calorie counting. I'm also trying to stay under 20g of carbs as I found on keto anything above this and the weight increased, slowly but surely.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Can someone recommend a good place for carnivore meal ideas?

There are a couple of Facebook Groups:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/zerocarbcarnivoreuk/?ref=share
https://www.facebook.com/groups/carnivoredietrecipes/?ref=share

The first is the friendlier of the two.

And I’ll try and remember to share my meals for a few days.

Here’s tonight’s - chicken wings brined in double cream and pink salt, with added paprika, lemon pepper and garlic granules. Cooked in the air frier.

75978F58-DBB6-436A-A843-DB43F76241B9.jpeg

Reactions: Larissima

Vidar

So, please excuse the subject matter but I'm 4 days in and was hoping being on such a restrictive diet that my almost constant diarrhea would have settled down but hasn't. Does that mean I could be intolerant to meat?

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, please excuse the subject matter but I'm 4 days in and was hoping being on such a restrictive diet that my almost constant diarrhea would have settled down but hasn't. Does that mean I could be intolerant to meat?

It might just be the change in what you’re eating. Give it a few days, and lay off dairy if you’re eating that. Are you taking metformin? That could also be implicated.

And as promised, here’s a pic of my lunch (the onions are carnivore, of course :D)

0ADB10EB-E00D-4BB1-BD18-B99E832B58B7.jpeg

Vidar

Had a load of mince beef myself today, was pretty bland to be fair but filling. Only thing I've eaten today and only now feeling hungry. Craving lamb like a mad person atm.

Do you recommend any supplements by the way? Not sure if I've asked already.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you recommend any supplements by the way?

Not unless you have a deficiency. I take magnesium and potassium to ward off cramps - wouldn’t recommend magnesium to you with your current issues as it’d only help things along. Also vitamin d3 as that’s important in the Uk, especially in the darker months. But you can get all the vitamins you need from animal foods, especially if you eat organ meats.

Vidar

I am on Metformin and had to go on the slow release as it was gentler on my system but again maybe not. I want to come off them and may speak to my gp about it tomorrow now I'm on the diet properly.

Thanks for all the advice so far, duck eggs and steak tonight...yum

Vidar

I do love steak, it's a pity its so expensive though. Just had a big boy t-bone for lunch as a treat. I've spent an obscene amount on carnivore supplies already but figure as I won't be having the usual takeaways or getting the **** from the shops it probably balances out.

Can anyone recommend any good websites or YouTube channels to check out?

Hotpepper20000

I do love steak, it's a pity its so expensive though. Just had a big boy t-bone for lunch as a treat. I've spent an obscene amount on carnivore supplies already but figure as I won't be having the usual takeaways or getting the **** from the shops it probably balances out.

Can anyone recommend any good websites or YouTube channels to check out?
If you look up Kelly Hogan. She is a bit of a celebrity in the Carnivore world.
You might find something that can help.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No need to spend a fortune @Vidar

Minced beef and eggs are satiating and very cheap, and the cheaper, fattier cuts of meat are good. Today I’ve had oxcheek, which isn’t terribly fatty, but is very tasty and relatively low cost. Followed up with pork belly pieces for dinner.

DAB9B5D6-5B21-4661-9A23-80EE311C7A55.jpeg

Reactions: oldgreymare

Vidar

That looks lovely!

Diet seems to be going well so far, struggling a bit today though. Had a glass of my beloved Robinson fruit creations and it gave me acid. Tried some burgers that had a little onion in them that needed eating and now 3hrs later I feel horrible, stomach feels unsettled, can taste it still in the back of my throat and feel like its coming out of my pores. That and I can't stop drinking water. Safe to say I won't be trying those again in a hurry.

Vidar

So that's me off dairy for a while at least, weighed myself today and 9lbs down so treated myself to some cheese with my breakfast.

It's like I've been punched in the gut by Anthony Joshua. My stomach hurts, I feel bloated and I feel ill again. Had a milk allergy when I was a kid but been having dairy for years and never felt like this. Lack of carbs to buffer it maybe? Thought I was over it, apparently not.