newbie help

veenaJ

Hello. Im newly diagnosed. I had a HbA1c of 69.my symptoms were fatigue and severely thirst and constantly eating.
Im not on metformin XR 500 Mg 3X day.my sugars are lower due to ky meter readings. however I feel so weak tired dizzy shaky all the time. I think I fe to better when I wasn't diagnosed. I have no energy and I feel my body is struggling with lower sugars. Im on low carb diet and eliminated sugars.I have already lost weight in this 3 weeks of being diagnosed. before anyone suggests for me to speak to diabetic Nurse she was absolutely useles. she told me I sound like im type 1 diabetic and not type 2.My GP has just said to give it time. im really worried

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. The important thing currently is what your meter readings are doing. If your BS is going into the teens regularly and whilst losing weight and becoming slim then T1 becomes possible. If your BS is remaining reasonable stable and you are low-carbing I think you need to give things a few more weeks. Typical symptoms of late onset T1 (which I had) include losing weight unexpectedly and having increasing blood sugar despite low-carbing. This is because the body lacks insulin so starts burning body fat for energy. It can come on very slowly which confuses GPs. There are two tests if you think that may be your situation.

Reactions: veenaJ

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Suddenly going very low carb can take the body time to get used to. Flu type feelings are not uncommon, but don't last long.
Make sure you drink more, preferably water, and take extra salt as there was probably more in your diet before low carb.
You will get through this phase and it does get easier and feel better

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have no energy and I feel my body is struggling with lower sugars.
Why do you say that... does this mean your finger prick tests are showing less that 3.9 mmol/l when you feel lacking energy?

If not it could be false hypo. You see if body has become accustomed to higher blood sugar even readings of 5 can make one feel as if they are in hypo. If this is the case, then as @MrsA2 said give it time and it will get better. Loosing weight in 3 weeks on low carb isn't surprising though it does depend on how much low carb are you going. Also are you taking enough fluids and salts?

If on the other hand your readings are lower than 3.9, Type 1 is a very real possibility and you must get the tests done because like @Mike d said mistakes have been made and you will need to speak with DN / GP.

Whatever it is, don't lose hope and persevere... it will get better.

Best of luck.

Vidar

Try not to worry if you can, its tough. I was really upset when I got my type 2 diagnosis but glad in the end as I'd rather know than be unawares.

I do think talking to your gp or nurse is best if you're not sure about things like others have said medical professionals are not above making mistakes.

Do stick with the diet though I was able to put my Type 2 into remission before I fell off the wagon and put all the weight back on again. Now I'm back and starting my journey again, this time carnivore rather than keto and that first week or so is rough but ultimately worth it as once it passes you feel so much better.

veenaJ

Why do you say that... does this mean your finger prick tests are showing less that 3.9 mmol/l when you feel lacking energy?

If not it could be false hypo. You see if body has become accustomed to higher blood sugar even readings of 5 can make one feel as if they are in hypo. If this is the case, then as @MrsA2 said give it time and it will get better. Loosing weight in 3 weeks on low carb isn't surprising though it does depend on how much low carb are you going. Also are you taking enough fluids and salts?

If on the other hand your readings are lower than 3.9, Type 1 is a very real possibility and you must get the tests done because like @Mike d said mistakes have been made and you will need to speak with DN / GP.

Best of luck.
hello. thanks for the e response. when im the testing my levels are above 6 so its not a hypo but I feel weak like I need to eat.hope that makes sense. im very low and worried. the Nurse didn't have aclue too be honest. im not having any extra
salts as I have high blood pressure too

veenaJ

Try not to worry if you can, its tough. I was really upset when I got my type 2 diagnosis but glad in the end as I'd rather know than be unawares.

I do think talking to your gp or nurse is best if you're not sure about things like others have said medical professionals are not above making mistakes.

Do stick with the diet though I was able to put my Type 2 into remission before I fell off the wagon and put all the weight back on again. Now I'm back and starting my journey again, this time carnivore rather than keto and that first week or so is rough but ultimately worth it as once it passes you feel so much better.
Thank you.I was eating **** before so I will most definitely stick with the diet ad im loosing weight and that is required.

veenaJ

Best of luck.
I feel as when my sugars were high before being diagnosed my body coped better. now my sugars are lowering due to diet and meds my body feels weak. like its used to me functioning one higher sugar levels. hope that makes sense. I think I have been diabetic about a year without being diagnosed as I have symptoms of constant thirst but my docter said it was anxiety!

veenaJ

Suddenly going very low carb can take the body time to get used to. Flu type feelings are not uncommon, but don't last long.
Make sure you drink more, preferably water, and take extra salt as there was probably more in your diet before low carb.
You will get through this phase and it does get easier and feel better
Thank you so much

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hello. thanks for the e response. when im the testing my levels are above 6 so its not a hypo but I feel weak like I need to eat.hope that makes sense. im very low and worried. the Nurse didn't have aclue too be honest. im not having any extra
salts as I have high blood pressure too
When I started dropping my blood levels in would start to feel shaky and like I wanted to eat the world, but my bloods were like you, in the 6s

As my body got used to lower levels in general I have detected around 4 on the meter and feel perfectly fine. It was just my body craving what it used to have and false hypos can feel very real

Hopefully yours will start to adjust but keep an eye on yourself and as others have said, keep in touch with your medical practice and good luck!

Reactions: VashtiB

veenaJ

Hi. The important thing currently is what your meter readings are doing. If your BS is going into the teens regularly and whilst losing weight and becoming slim then T1 becomes possible. If your BS is remaining reasonable stable and you are low-carbing I think you need to give things a few more weeks. Typical symptoms of late onset T1 (which I had) include losing weight unexpectedly and having increasing blood sugar despite low-carbing. This is because the body lacks insulin so starts burning body fat for energy. It can come on very slowly which confuses GPs. There are two tests if you think that may be your situation.
My sugars were in the double numbers when I checked and first diagnosed. since upping metformin they have remained under 10. they seem to be stabilising but I feel weak and shaky still.

Vidar

You've got this, if I can do it purely through diet so can you...

I'm 6ft8 with mobility issues after injury and at my heaviest I hit over 36 stone. Managed to get down to 28 stone and my levels down to well within the healthy none diabetic range before I fell off the wagon and got stuck in the ditch.

As of last Sunday, when I finally started again, I was 32 stone 5Lbs. First weigh in tomorrow but not expecting anything major right away if at all. It takes a long time to get this way and takes a long time to sort yourself out. You've got this!

veenaJ

You've got this, if I can do it purely through diet so can you...

I'm 6ft8 with mobility issues after injury and at my heaviest I hit over 36 stone. Managed to get down to 28 stone and my levels down to well within the healthy none diabetic range before I fell off the wagon and got stuck in the ditch.

As of last Sunday, when I finally started again, I was 32 stone 5Lbs. First weigh in tomorrow but not expecting anything major right away if at all. It takes a long time to get this way and takes a long time to sort yourself out. You've got this!
Thank you. how inspirational of you

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
now my sugars are lowering due to diet and meds my body feels weak. like its used to me functioning one higher sugar levels. hope that makes sense.
Thats essentially what false hypo is... do stick with the diet and it will get better as body re-learns to work with lower blood glucose levels.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you think of your body as a toddler who has got used to having a special toy, but then you realise what it has is dangerous and take it away, that toddler argues, ramages and tantrums, screams and sulks. That is what your body is doing now you have taken the sugars away. But you are the adult here and know its not safe for the toddler to have that toy so you find a safe toy that is good for the toddler and distract it (like giving your body satisfying fats) and after a while all is calm again.
You will be so pleased when you start to see and feel results. Its amazing