Coffee and ??

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the most difficult part of a low carb attempt, is my morning coffee. Not the coffee! But having or not having a biscuit or similar with it. I was shocked to find that the tiny Lotus coffee biscuit I was having, has nearly 6 carbs in. Two in a pack, so.......
So I’ve just taken out of the oven a large sponge Cake made with Almond flour/ ground almonds, a recipe from the Keto book. I’m hoping this will do the trick.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I find the most difficult part of a low carb attempt, is my morning coffee. Not the coffee! But having or not having a biscuit or similar with it. I was shocked to find that the tiny Lotus coffee biscuit I was having, has nearly 6 carbs in. Two in a pack, so.......
So I’ve just taken out of the oven a large sponge Cake made with Almond flour/ ground almonds, a recipe from the Keto book. I’m hoping this will do the trick.
There are other keto style biscuits that can be made. Or change the coffee to another drink to break the mental association with biscuits.

for me it was missing the combination of texture with sweet not the sweet itself as biscuits were my downfall in a former high carb life not bread, pasta, potatoes as I never much liked these anyway.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have just had a couple of squares of 100% dark choc with my coffee. Does the trick for me. Also I bake keto scones and cakes, occasionally keto cookies, chaffles sweet and savoury. Not every week, but when I fancy them, Sometimes I do a keto chocolate mug cake when I urgently need something ‘naughty’ and drench it in double cream. But only now and then because I find a single egg serving a bit large and I haven’t worked out how to manage it as two portions yet. (keep the cooked cake in the fridge? Keep the made batter (minus the bicarbonate) in the fridge? I must try it out).

Goldenoldy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestions.
So the almond flour cake, going to take a bit of getting used to. Texture is a bit like a Madeira sponge. But not sweet. I can see a use for double cream here! Had a quick look around for 100% dark chocolate, not easy to find.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the suggestions.
So the almond flour cake, going to take a bit of getting used to. Texture is a bit like a Madeira sponge. But not sweet. I can see a use for double cream here! Had a quick look around for 100% dark chocolate, not easy to find.
If you’re not used to 100% I’d start at 85% and 90% and work up. They can be found in most large supermarkets and they do sometimes carry a 100% bar.

Reactions: Alan51

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Being type 1 Iuckily don’t have the “biscuit “ issue . But the only thing I like with my coffee especially the first one of the day is more coffee

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Coffee and a spoonful of almond butter works for me. The more you practice not having something with it the easier it will get. Almond flour sounds great btw but sadly when we go out to cafes again you will still be facing a wall of muffins to ignore.
Conversely when I have any chocolate I also crave coffee to go with it!

Reactions: Lainie71

Pasha

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sometimes I drink very strong unsweetened coffee accompanied by a cup of strong and very sweet hibiscus tea [artificial sweetener of course]with very good results.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try breaking the habit by changing to a different habit, e.g have the coffee at a different time or place, or have a different drink at different time or place as ideas.

When I smoked I found it difficult not to have the first of the day outside after the school run, so I changed the habit to go swimming straight after school run = no more urge for ciggies outside as I wasn't there!

BRSBRI

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Custard (just as well)
Port and stilton
Influencers on Social Media
Kardashians and lookalike, actalike groupies
Reality TV shows
It's absolutely eye opening the amount of sugar and carbs in those little itsy bitsy treats, isn't it?

There's a fab Italian café right beside us and once upon a time, I'd have 2 Florentines with my latte or whatever - that'd be 50g of carbs, 46g of which are sugar in those 2 biscuits alone! My BG machine has fainted with that data...

Now, I eschew milky coffees and have an Americano with sugar substitute and a dark chocolate square on occasion - but find I can easily tune out what I used to ingest.

I'm also a convert to Choczero - highly recommended as a treat with mid morning hot drinks...

Flamingo74

It's absolutely eye opening the amount of sugar and carbs in those little itsy bitsy treats, isn't it?

There's a fab Italian café right beside us and once upon a time, I'd have 2 Florentines with my latte or whatever - that'd be 50g of carbs, 46g of which are sugar in those 2 biscuits alone! My BG machine has fainted with that data...

Now, I eschew milky coffees and have an Americano with sugar substitute and a dark chocolate square on occasion - but find I can easily tune out what I used to ingest.

I'm also a convert to Choczero - highly recommended as a treat with mid morning hot drinks...

Not heard of choczero - what is it ? :)

Pura Vida

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I prefer my coffee with 36% cream, as a treat one square of 85% dark chocolate.
does not affect my Bs

Reactions: Speedbird

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I love dark chocolate with my coffee or peanut butter cookies. They are 3g per cookie but they are quite filling so you dont need more than one or two.

Ingredients (make 18 cookies):

• 100g Xylitol

• 50 g unsalted butter (soft)

• 1 medium egg

• 1 teaspoon vanilla

• 200 grams peanut butter crunchy

• 60g ground almond

• 40g soy flour

• 3/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda

• pinch of salt

Preparation:

• Pre-Heat the oven to 180C.

• Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and set aside

• Cream together the butter with egg, vanilla and peanut butter. Blend until smooth.

• Add in the dry ingredients and mix well. Form a dough in a ball and put in the fridge for 30 minutes (or in the freezer for about 10 minutes)

• Form little balls (a bit bigger than walnut) and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper Press each ball with a fork to flatten them a bit.

• Put into the centre of the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
Enjoy :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Coffee and.........second cup of strong black coffee. My ration for the day!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I buy no added sugar biscuits - some are under 5g for a decent sized biscuit and will have half of one with my morning black tea (ie no carb). Breakfast is then 11am or later.
Gullon are nice, and sometimes Lidl or Aldi have them otherwise I order via ebay.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I buy no added sugar biscuits - some are under 5g for a decent sized biscuit and will have half of one with my morning black tea (ie no carb). Breakfast is then 11am or later.
Gullon are nice, and sometimes Lidl or Aldi have them otherwise I order via ebay.
You obviously have far better self control than I do. There’s no way I could eat just half a biscuit. A small handful would be a success for me instead of most of a packet. Hence the reason I need to avoid biscuits more than any other item.