List of some Low Carb Vegetarian Dishes

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have been on Low carb / Keto diet and have had success with the diet I have been following so I created a pdf and uploaded here with various dishes I use in rotation. Its mostly vegetarian diet and where I have used chicken, i have included a Vegetarian alternative.

The dishes may not work for vegans though.

@Goonergal suggested I provide the link here as people may find it useful, hence this post.

You can read it online here.

Any feedback / suggestions / ideas will be gratefully received.

Last edited:

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
Thanks: some good ideas I’ve not seen before. I appreciate how you’ve collated everything into one place for anyone new.

My main suggestion is that rather than use celeriac as a swap for potatoes; I recommend swede - either cubed or made into chips, coat in oil, season and roast for 20-25 mins at 200 degrees. Only 2g carbs per 100g (I think they taste slightly sweeter than potatoes, but similar texture and they’re “cheap as chips” ).

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks: some good ideas I’ve not seen before. I appreciate how you’ve collated everything into one place for anyone new.

My main suggestion is that rather than use celeriac as a swap for potatoes; I recommend swede - either cubed or made into chips, coat in oil, season and roast for 20-25 mins at 200 degrees. Only 2g carbs per 100g (I think they taste slightly sweeter than potatoes, but similar texture and they’re “cheap as chips” ).

ah - I did not know that. I will try this out for sure as Swede is available in my local Sainsburys. :)

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I tried this today when breaking my 72 hours fast and I must admit it did taste wonderful. Although for some reason it caused a significant spike for me :(

I will try once again in few days and see if it was a one off or like Cauliflower my body just doesn't agree with Swede as well... it will be a shame though as I really loved the chips.

• Friendly
Reactions: jjraak

Ledzeptt

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Liquorice and aniseed (especially the tracer I have to drink in hospital before a CT scan - yuk!)
That is a shame; just shows how we’re all different.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a shame; just shows how we’re all different.
Hey I had the swede chips again today and no spike so thats good news... must have been one-off the other day.

Thanks so much for the tip... these are so so close to the real thing and as I have not had real chips for well over 5 months these tasted like the real deal so my brain was most definitely tricked. :)

Reactions: jjraak and Nodemus

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello,

I have been on Low carb / Keto diet and have had success with the diet I have been following so I created a pdf and uploaded here with various dishes I use in rotation. Its mostly vegetarian diet and where I have used chicken, i have included a Vegetarian alternative.

The dishes may not work for vegans though.

@Goonergal suggested I provide the link here as people may find it useful, hence this post.

You can find the pdf here: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog/nutribolt.533316/

Any feedback / suggestions / ideas will be gratefully received.

Thank you nutribolt - this is a really helpful summary which you have made. It's a useful aide-memoire and also a nudge to me to re-visit the advice on fasting. I have been using intermittent fasting for a few years now - nothing to eat between early supper until lunch next day - but have never felt confident enough to try alternate day. I will also be trying out some of your recipes (veganising where necessary).

Carson_DCUK

Staff Member
Administrator
I have a suspicion that all our diabetes.co.uk blogs may have fallen foul of the latest and rather disastrous forum "upgrade" and no longer exist?

@Administrator ?
Hi @Robbity There have been some hiccups with the upgrade of the site, and we are sorry about that. The team are working at getting the blogs and other features restored as soon as they can. If you have any other questions please feel free to tag or pm me.

Kind regards,
Carson

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I have uploaded the pdf again and updated the link so hopefully that should help if anyone were to stumble upon this post. :)

Musiecat

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello I've just been diagnosed with prediabetes I'm fit and active with a good diet I am at a loss about it and in shock I'm vegetarian almost vegan ..
Has anybody else had this my cholesterol is also 9 I'm absolutely mortified..I don't eat saturated fats apart from cheese occasionally..and that's generally vegan
Anyone else been in this situation..tia

Speedbird

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello I've just been diagnosed with prediabetes I'm fit and active with a good diet I am at a loss about it and in shock I'm vegetarian almost vegan ..
Has anybody else had this my cholesterol is also 9 I'm absolutely mortified..I don't eat saturated fats apart from cheese occasionally..and that's generally vegan
Anyone else been in this situation..tia
Hi Musiecat,
Do you have a breakdown of your cholesterol? HDL, LDL and triglyceride?
Armed with those results you can then calculate your ratios on hughcalc.org website. Good luck

Reactions: Omar51 and jjraak