Cannula bent at base

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

I’ve been on the Ypsopump for 5 weeks now. I changed my site on Friday morning and my have been spiking and coming down with extra corrections. I even upped my basal by 10% and not much difference.

I changed infusion sets this morning and I noticed the cannula was bent at the base of the set. How would this affect insulin delivery/absorption?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd expect it to stop absorption completely, though it sounds like some was getting through. How bent was it?

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Hi

I’ve been on the Ypsopump for 5 weeks now. I changed my site on Friday morning and my have been spiking and coming down with extra corrections. I even upped my basal by 10% and not much difference.

I changed infusion sets this morning and I noticed the cannula was bent at the base of the set. How would this affect insulin delivery/absorption?
Make sure the needle can be seen poking out through the cannula before you insert.
Don’t push down when you place the insert on your skin
Try to avoid your firm toned muscles
I’ve found that these help. A bent cannula will not let the insulin flow correctly. You can usually tell within a couple of hours. (I also give myself a tiny bolus just before I change to cover the hour or so that it takes for the new site to start absorbing)

Ermintrude75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a very slight bend maybe 10 degrees at the absolute most. Some was being absorbed just not enough. Changed the site and it went back to normal. Thanks