Celebrating real foods

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My favourite meal at present I had tonight. Sea bass cooked to have crispy skin with asparagus. Simple but very enjoyable. :)

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Experimented with a new brand of lemon pepper on my chicken wings today. Not successful - too much pepper, not enough lemon! They were brunch. Dinner was 2 Barnsley lamb chops with garlic and Rosemary salt. Yum! Some Fage 0% yoghurt after each meal.

Hotpepper20000

It’s warm enough to sit outside today and enjoy the fire pit. Having a few family members over and roasting various kinds of meat. Flat iron steak, and sausages.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MrsA2 hello. I read your cabbage recipe with great interest. One of my favourites at present is sweetheart cabbage fried in olive oil with, chopped onion and pieces of bacon. Yum
I use sweetheart cabbage instead of spaghetti ,sliced across in thin strips then either quickly fried or blanched in boiling water cab bol instead of spag bol !
Carol

Reactions: Ceppo

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My favourite dish is fish cooked in butter with capers. Also curries with vegetables (cauliflower, aubergine, courgette), mackerel salad and of course steak :)

Jo123

Turkey breast bolognaise with courgettes roasted in lots of garlic and olive oil, much tastier than pasta.

I've got an fillet of beef coming tonight from ocado, we will have it roasted with spinach, broccoli and some gravy, I don't bother to thicken the gravy, just meat juices and red wine. It's a bit pricey but we're not going out at all.

We'll have it cold for two nights with roasted veg, courgettes, Peppers, garlic and one small carrot and onion.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't laugh but I was peckish last night so peeled a large onion, covered it whole in salt & pepper and a little chilli olive oil, stuck it in my air fryer (did I mention I had one???), air fried it for 20 minutes and it was delicious!!!!!

Hotpepper20000

Don't laugh but I was peckish last night so peeled a large onion, covered it whole in salt & pepper and a little chilli olive oil, stuck it in my air fryer (did I mention I had one???), air fried it for 20 minutes and it was delicious!!!!!
Oh wow that would be delicious. That idea might just push me to finally buy a air fryer.

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use my air fryer most days . Last night it was some M&S huge posh sausages, which are my favourite type (0.3g carbs/100) with air-fried courgette and aubergine. Night before it was salmon and more air-fried veg, swede and courgette. Tonight it will be chicken with crissssspy skin with yep, more swede and courgette. Those air-fried veg are delish and effortless to just chuck in next to the meat for the last 10 mins.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use my air fryer most days . Last night it was some M&S huge posh sausages, which are my favourite type (0.3g carbs/100) with air-fried courgette and aubergine. Night before it was salmon and more air-fried veg, swede and courgette. Tonight it will be chicken with crissssspy skin with yep, more swede and courgette. Those air-fried veg are delish and effortless to just chuck in next to the meat for the last 10 mins.

They're great aren't they?, especially for quick no messing about stuff. Bacon, 6 mins and done to an absolute turn, sausages as you say, soft and juicy in the middle with as crisp a skin as you want, ANY veg chucked in there and with a blob of butter or tiny bit of oil it turns into a very tasty snack. x

Reactions: muzza3

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I adore baked onions. That sounds fabulous - haven’t dared have more than small amounts of onions for ages due to carbs, but they’re the one veg I couldn’t live without. I may have to try this!

And @Hotpepper20000 you won’t regret an air fryer. Use mine almost every day, sometimes more than once.

Today I’ve had mince fried with onions and 2 eggs and then about half of a rotisserie chicken picked up locally as I couldn’t be bothered to cook this evening.

Reactions: KK123

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
celebrating local veg over the past few days here.
Simple leeks slowly cooked in butter
Cauliflower where the sauce was just cream cheese with cheddar and parmesan added and melted over
Celery braised in slow cooker (did add tinned tomatoes and a squeeze of orange juice...it was celery after all ;))

Reactions: Ceppo

Hotpepper20000

I adore baked onions. That sounds fabulous - haven’t dared have more than small amounts of onions for ages due to carbs, but they’re the one veg I couldn’t live without. I may have to try this!

And @Hotpepper20000 you won’t regret an air fryer. Use mine almost every day, sometimes more than once.

Today I’ve had mince fried with onions and 2 eggs and then about half of a rotisserie chicken picked up locally as I couldn’t be bothered to cook this evening.
Thanks I was just looking at one today. Mmm might have to give in. I don’t usually buy gadgets.

I have been known to buy a whole roasted chicken for lunch and eat all of it.
I regret nothing.

Last edited:

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read the posts of this thread and my mouth waters! :) Brilliant ideas!

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is indeed a lovely thread about the joy of real food. Since the pandemic began we have bought all our meat and veg from our local farm shop and fish from the fish man who comes there once a week with whatever is landed that morning. While supermarket C&C provides the rest there is no going back now despite the cost. Everything has been cooked from scratch every day. My fave meals are panfried lamb chump chop with mushrooms, any fish any which way, roasted med veg with the addition of olives, organic free range chicken that doesnt shrink because of water content, glorious local farm eggs with rich yolks, new regular sides of celeriac mash, courgetti, tons of broccoli and home grown salad for first time last summer. Flavourings include spices, herbs and lemons, Soya and Teriyaki sauce by Kikoman.