Pubbing/Clubbing

fendertele

It's probably the furthest thing from everyones mind atm however i was diagnosed during this pandemic and despite adjusting the diet.. It is on my mind how i'll ever be able to have nights out of wild partying with my friends ever again ?

I dont need alcohol to have fun but it certainly does help when were all on the same level.

I was a Lager and Vodka/red bull drinker and cant think what I would be able to drink now when out with friends any tips ?

Most nights are just till pubs close but would like the option of a long night/clubbing etc or are those days now gone ?

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There still lots of drinks you can enjoy :) Spirits with coke zero or sugar free red bull, wine, these wont raise your sugar levels. Its always trial and error so try with one or two drinks and check your sugar levels directly after drinking and next day. Alcohol can lower your sugar levels on next day (especially if you are on insulin) so you need to remember that. After a while you will learn how your body reacts to it and you will know how to enjoy alcohol safely

Reactions: fendertele

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I was a Lager and Vodka/red bull drinker and cant think what I would be able to drink now when out with friends any tips ?
Vodka/Red Bull Zero?

Are you on medication which can make you go low, like insulin or Gliclazide? If so, this may be an issue as alcohol can make you go low hours later.

Alcohol doesn't make us go up, it's the stuff which comes along with the alcohol.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's probably the furthest thing from everyones mind atm however i was diagnosed during this pandemic and despite adjusting the diet.. It is on my mind how i'll ever be able to have nights out of wild partying with my friends ever again ?

I dont need alcohol to have fun but it certainly does help when were all on the same level.

Most nights are just till pubs close but would like the option of a long night/clubbing etc or are those days now gone ?

Well, there are a few low carb options. Voddy & Diet Coke is one of mine...

What meds are you prescribed? Edit; your historical posts suggest diet managed?
A little "health & safety," but I wouldn't wanna ruin your fun..

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello- well you've already had some ideas.

I go for Bacardi and Diet Coke but have tried for the first time in my life at a work Christmas party a tequila shot which didn't effect my blood sugar levels.

You might also want to think about gin with soda water- that's another option. Also some wines are okay as long as you don't go overboard.

You just need to make sure that whatever you drink you remain careful about the total carbs. That will mean also making sure you don't start eating food that is high is carbs.

Have fun!

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Unfortunately, beer is like liquid bread. Full of carbs. :(
The suggestions for spirits with low sugar mixers, and red wine, I experiment with. They don’t , in moderation, impact my blood glucose, or leave me hung over.

fendertele

Thanks everyone.

Yeah i have zero problems with the vodka and sugar free red bull that will most likely be my go to from now on. This works well in the pub where theres time to think and waiter has time to comprehend what im asking... I can see this being a problem come 2am in a club when he cant hear me or is rushing cause the queue is from one end of the bar to the other... can see him just dropping normal coke or normal redbull in there in a rush.

Might see if a female friend would be cool with one of those sugar free bottles in a bag as a work around.

I think my biggest problem will be I will 100% be flying by the time the rest of the guys are on their 3/4 beer lol which isn't a terribe thing :p

Another drink i really enjoyed was kopperberg but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say its mostly likely 100 times worse than just having a lager ?

Wine is a no go for me, aggrevates my Asthma terribly seems to have a drying effect or possibly dehydrates me similar to being in a house with central heating i can't breath as it removes all moisture.

But Vodka and red bull zero is a shout ! better than being that guy with water all night.

fendertele

Vodka/Red Bull Zero?

Are you on medication which can make you go low, like insulin or Gliclazide? If so, this may be an issue as alcohol can make you go low hours later.

Alcohol doesn't make us go up, it's the stuff which comes along with the alcohol.

No i'm trying to normalize this via diet alone so not having to take any meds as of now. I should be okay then ?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
No i'm trying to normalize this via diet alone so not having to take any meds as of now. I should be okay then ?
Yes, no additional risks compared to before diabetes!
Might see if a female friend would be cool with one of those sugar free bottles in a bag as a work around.
If you go that route it might be worthwile to try to get a taste for pure booze. Less volume = easier to smuggle in and you'll save a lot of money as well.
On the other hand, the pubs and clubs have been having a very hard time this past year so we don't want to deprive them of income once things start again.
But I agree with not trusting them to serve you the zero stuff, especially on busy nights!
You gave me a good laugh though! Buying the booze and smuggling the mixer is a whole new concept to me but it does make sense!

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Order a can or bottle of diet whatever with your drink separately and that way you will know that is what is defo being added to your spirit - that's what I sometimes do - rather than having draft whatever added to my drinks and that way I can be sure it's sugar fee

davd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I tend to stick to gin and slimline tonic or just brandy both zero carbs .
And when we can get back to pubs and I fancy a lager or three I tend to drink coors light as it has one of the lowest carb counts of lager that is generally sold in pubs , there are one or two lower carb beers but not usually sold in pubs .

bigjim19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
a lot of food im supposed to eat yuk
Vodka and Diet Coke or Pepsi , bud light for lager usually ok for med but if your on medication be careful

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Please note this is not in any way encouragement to drink! As a type 1, my main issue with drinking lots is that the alcohol lowers your glucose values once metabolised. This can take hours, so when I've had nights out, I make sure I have some carbs before sleeping so I don't have unexpected hypos. I lower my insulin to half what I would usually bolus when I've had a night out, as I know the alcohol will eventually lower my blood glucose.

As has therefore been said, the alcohol isn't the issue, it is whether it has been mixed with anything. Cider is a difficult one for me as it has loads of sugar, for example. Different brands are very different though, so you might want to experiment a bit. I find alcohol 'free' or low alcohol versions of drinks full of sugar often. I don't seem to see any alcohol glucose lowering effects with just one or two drinks, only when I've had a night out. The advice of spirits and sugar free/diet mixers would seem sensible for someone who is diet controlled.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
Since being diagnosed back in October 2019, I don't drink much now a days.

But before lockdown. I did go out a couple of times.

When I planned a night out, I prepared that week. I basically intermitted fasted (basically skipped breakfast).

I also up my water content that week, Keep my exercise up.

Then on the day of the night out, eat breakfast did a work out and went for a good run on top of it.

Anyway woke up the next morning with slightly higher but not that bad blood sugars.

My suggestion is try and see what works for you.

With my blood sugars being controlled now, I tend to do a 80% - 20% split for my mental health. As I find I still cant live without some junk food and the occasional session in the pub.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone.

Yeah i have zero problems with the vodka and sugar free red bull that will most likely be my go to from now on. This works well in the pub where theres time to think and waiter has time to comprehend what im asking... I can see this being a problem come 2am in a club when he cant hear me or is rushing cause the queue is from one end of the bar to the other... can see him just dropping normal coke or normal redbull in there in a rush.

I think my biggest problem will be I will 100% be flying by the time the rest of the guys are on their 3/4 beer lol which isn't a terribe thing :p

Another drink i really enjoyed was kopperberg but i'm gonna go out on a limb and say its mostly likely 100 times worse than just having a lager ?

Wine is a no go for me, aggrevates my Asthma terribly seems to have a drying effect or possibly dehydrates me similar to being in a house with central heating i can't breath as it removes all moisture.

But Vodka and red bull zero is a shout ! better than being that guy with water all night.
Hi, this is a subject close to my heart. There are several "low-carb" beers around, and most are appallingly bad. I'm convinced for some of them (Michelob, looking at you) they simply water down already weak beer. The only one that works for me as beer is Marston's Resolution@ 3.5g carbs per 275ml beer and 4.7ABV. Certainly not the best beer I've ever had but I can drink a beer and stay under 20g carbs/day. You're not likely to find it in pubs and nightclubs, though. I order direct from Marston's.

Spirits are zero carb but you need to watch what mixers (if any) are used. Vodka and red bull zero would work. Cocktails are a nightmare, not because of the gin/vodka/whisky whatever base but because of what else goes in. I tend to stick to straight scotch, grappa, or bourbon.

Caution - the problem with alcohol is that you might be a bit more inclined to eat or drink stuff you shouldn't after a couple. Alcohol also for some people lowers blood glucose (I'm one of them) because the liver switches to processing the alcohol rather than carbs. This can lead, in extremes, to ketoacidosis and you really do not want that.