Covid vaccine halted in other countries

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

Hoping not to be a scaremonger - but reaching out to the community in case anyone knows more than the papers are stating...

I am due to get my vaccine on Tuesday (my gp has been quite slow on their roll out). I have been seeing reports of many countries pausing their use of the AZ vaccine because of incidences of clots in the under 50s.

Honestly, this has frightened me a bit. I am super pro-vaccine, but as diabetics we are already at a higher risk of clots and strokes.

Most other folk that I know have had the Pfizer jab so I don’t know many that have had the AZ vaccine to chat about it with.

Is anyone else feeling the same?

Does anyone know what is actually happening in Norway? Should the UK be acting the same way or is this all a fuss over nothing?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So far as I am aware there are quite a few countries that have paused their AZ vaccine roll out.

Personally I am waiting for as long as possible to see what longer term effects of these relatively experimental vaccines are before subjecting myself to them.

Obviously it should be up to you what you put into your body.

Reactions: nirishdaisy

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Covid19 itself can cause blood clots - and before anyone asks, no I don't have a link and don't have the energy to google it. I just know that after the coughing stage was over I was left with blood clots in my legs. I would rather have the vaccine than risk having Covid again.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
So far as I am aware there are quite a few countries that have paused their AZ vaccine roll out.

Personally I am waiting for as long as possible to see what longer term effects of these relatively experimental vaccines are before subjecting myself to them.

Obviously it should be up to you what you put into your body.
Me too to be honest :shifty:

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I had my first vaccine a month ago with no side affects.
I know people maybe scared but the way I look at it, anyone can get a blood clot at any time. X

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the AZ vaccine last month and had nothIng worse than a sore arm and a headache which passed very quickly.
I heard about the clot risk this morning and have been reassured by this statement:

“AstraZeneca said that an analysis of safety data covering more than 17 million doses of the vaccine administered has shown no evidence of an increased risk of the conditions concerned, and that no trends or patterns were observed in clinical trials.

"In fact, the reported numbers of these types of events for Covid-19 Vaccine AstraZeneca are not greater than the number that would have occurred naturally in the unvaccinated population," said a spokesperson”

In this article: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-56391818

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my first vaccine a month ago with no side affects.
I know people maybe scared but the way I look at it, anyone can get a blood clot at any time. X
And this is what people said about the folk who died from Covid...'they might have died anyway' yet the same people who said that about Covid don't want the vaccine as a small number have got blood clots (which can actually be treated) after having the vaccine. I wonder how many people would have got blood clots in that period anyway?

I know 3 people who had AZ vaccine and they have just had flu like symptoms and headaches for 24 hours. I was coughing for 5 weeks with Covid and think I may have just about got over Long Covid now, though time will tell.

Have the vaccine or risk having Covid? Well the trouble is if you say No to a vaccine you have to keep making that decision every time there's a scare. If you say Yes you only make the decision once. So if you are really sure it's a No from you, that's fine, but if you're not sure, then you're not going to be sure every time you have to make the decision.

Reactions: urbanracer

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Not one person has come up with a causal effect of blood clots from the vaccine. Very few people have reported blood clots throughout Europe, and it is not a listed side effect. Caused by the vaccine or coincidental? My bet is coincidental. What other conditions/lifestyles have these few people? All we know is they had the vaccine. But so have many millions of other people, with no reports of blood clots.

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not one person has come up with a causal effect of blood clots from the vaccine. Very few people have reported blood clots throughout Europe, and it is not a listed side effect. Caused by the vaccine or coincidental? My bet is coincidental. What other conditions/lifestyles have these few people? All we know is they had the vaccine. But so have many millions of other people, with no reports of blood clots.
Plus the vaccines are obviously being rolled out amongst populations of people with underlying conditions (who may be predisposed to these illnesses)?

I might buy a pack of aspirin just in case!

It is an unknown, and it’s just a bit scary! I just wish this was being plastered all over the news on any other week than this week- when I’m due to get a jab!

I have been so excited for my vaccine and this is just making it a more worrisome experience!

Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
there may, and I emphasise 'may' be a political agenda behind attempting to discredit the 'UK' vaccine. There is no statistical evidence for these claims, just as there was no evidence for claims about the safety of this vaccine for those over 65 years old.

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Emck Hello. Just to add my partner and I had the Astra Zeneca vaccine on Valentine’s Day. We had sore arms and a bit of a headache. We have our appointment for the second in May. As others have said there are millions who have had it with no ill effect and I really would not like to get Covid-19. I hope all goes well.

Reactions: Robbity and zand

mo53

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lucylocket61 thats an idea I hadn’t thought of but perfectly plausible after the refusal to give the vaccine to the over 65s.

Reactions: jjraak

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is very unpopular because so many have invested so much into the vaccine being the get out of jail free card. However we shall all please remember that the only licensing is for emergency use and the vaccine trials do not finish until 2023.

No-one can say these things are "safe" until at the earliest the trials have been completed however famous they are.

(Edited by mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Plus the vaccines are obviously being rolled out amongst populations of people with underlying conditions (who may be predisposed to these illnesses)?

I might buy a pack of aspirin just in case!

It is an unknown, and it’s just a bit scary! I just wish this was being plastered all over the news on any other week than this week- when I’m due to get a jab!

I have been so excited for my vaccine and this is just making it a more worrisome experience!

You could also just not have any vitamin K rich leafy green veg this week or the week after, so you are less likely to have sticky blood to start with. Little precautions could make a difference.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Hoping not to be a scaremonger - but reaching out to the community in case anyone knows more than the papers are stating...

I am due to get my vaccine on Tuesday (my gp has been quite slow on their roll out). I have been seeing reports of many countries pausing their use of the AZ vaccine because of incidences of clots in the under 50s.

Honestly, this has frightened me a bit. I am super pro-vaccine, but as diabetics we are already at a higher risk of clots and strokes.

Most other folk that I know have had the Pfizer jab so I don’t know many that have had the AZ vaccine to chat about it with.

Does anyone know what is actually happening in Norway? Should the UK be acting the same way or is this all a fuss over nothing?

hi @Emck

you may find this video informative.
It certainly looks into the facts rather more deeply than the attention grabbing drama-headlines the media thrives on.

i found the whole video interesting, but the ‘blood clot’ info starts about half way through.

Reactions: hankjam

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Some medics are a little cautious with newer vaccines - but as far as I could see the number of people developing blood clots was in line with the usual numbers. (There is a tendency to ascribe any symptom to a new treatment even when a proportion of the population would get those health conditions without it.)
If this occurs in people who have no pre-existing risk factors, or the umbers get higher, then it would be withdrawn for further testing.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi everyone,

With any vaccine rolled out to the masses this quickly there will be effects that occur which may have nothing to do with the vaccine. There is also quite a lot of vaccine politics going on in the EU! On the other hand all vaccines haven't gone through the normal longer term trial process and their contracts have also put liability for any dise effects back onto the governments.
It comes down to your appraisal of the benefit to you versus the risk of getting the AZ jab? It has to be an individual choice foreir health so don't be guilted into taking a jab to be bale to go on holiday or because it is somehow your duty if you want to 'wait and see'.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Emck

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am still so undecided about all of this. I had a poor night of sleep trying to decide what to do.

After chatting with a GP friend, I now know that a GP can’t refer me to a Pfizer centre. Where I live Pfizer is being given out to different vulnerable groups. I might ask my GP if I can postpone for a week to see what comes out in the news. I would be gutted if the UK cancelled its use of the vaccine this week when I had just received it. I think that the anxiety of that alone would be detrimental to my health.