Anyone else coeliac?

Jazmine287

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi everyone!
Posted before but not for a long time!
I'm 34 and on alogliptin and metformin. My bloods arent right, they're getting abit high for my liking. I really need someone with coeliac to give me abit of a meal plan as I'm lost. I need to lose weight and get my blood sugar down, I'm so frustrated that I can't just eat what 'normal' people to be healthy!
If anyone could help I'd be so so grateful. No allergies (apart from the coeliac stuff obv) and not fussy, I just don't want bacon and eggs EVERY morning lol! Thankyou!

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welome back,

I have an intolerance to gluten but it is no longer relevant as anything with gluten in has too many carbs for mr.

I am only on metformin do not sure about alogiptin and what it does. Yes you can have bacon and eggs but there are other options. I found once I went really low carb I didn't need breakfast and that also helped me lose weight. Options though include low carb yoghurt (not low fat) with a. few berries, smoked salmon, eggs and hollandaise sauce (Basically eggs Benedict without the bread), sausage- check the carbs- low carb muffins etc- check the diet doctor site for more suggestions.
Obviously you need to not reduce your carbs quickly if you are on medication so start with working out what the current carb intake is and very gradually reducing it making sure you test regularly. You should talk to your doctor before starting to ensure there isn't any issue with doing this but if your levels are too high only a few options, reduce your carbs, increase your medication or increase your exercise though exercise has probably the least impact.

Good luck and welcome back.

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone!
I'm 34 and on alogliptin and metformin. My bloods arent right, they're getting abit high for my liking. I really need someone with coeliac to give me abit of a meal plan as I'm lost. I need to lose weight and get my blood sugar down, I'm so frustrated that I can't just eat what 'normal' people to be healthy!
If anyone could help I'd be so so grateful. No allergies (apart from the coeliac stuff obv) and not fussy, I just don't want bacon and eggs EVERY morning lol! Thankyou!
Hi being low carb is not right for a coeliac,, sausages etc contain gluten, and hollandaise sauce also, I am type 2 and coeliac. I have M&S g.f. Sour dough bread I slice in the morning with an egg,,usually baked potato with chicken and small salad.. at lin h time,in the evening another slice of bread with say a banana..i don’t eat red meat or fish and have to limit my intake of veg at the moment can only eat carrots peas parsnips and bananas and pears...don’t do any dairy use oat milk..my diabetes is in remission,but my coeliac disease is playing up at the moment

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello and welome back,

I have an intolerance to gluten but it is no longer relevant as anything with gluten in has too many carbs for mr.

I am only on metformin do not sure about alogiptin and what it does. Yes you can have bacon and eggs but there are other options. I found once I went really low carb I didn't need breakfast and that also helped me lose weight. Options though include low carb yoghurt (not low fat) with a. few berries, smoked salmon, eggs and hollandaise sauce (Basically eggs Benedict without the bread), sausage- check the carbs- low carb muffins etc- check the diet doctor site for more suggestions.
Obviously you need to not reduce your carbs quickly if you are on medication so start with working out what the current carb intake is and very gradually reducing it making sure you test regularly. You should talk to your doctor before starting to ensure there isn't any issue with doing this but if your levels are too high only a few options, reduce your carbs, increase your medication or increase your exercise though exercise has probably the least impact.

Good luck and welcome back.
Hi being. Coeliac you can’t have muffins or sauces, and low carb is really not wise,,I’m a type two and in remission but the coeliac disease is more of a problem

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi being low carb is not right for a coeliac,, sausages etc contain gluten, and hollandaise sauce also, I am type 2 and coeliac. I have M&S g.f. Sour dough bread I slice in the morning with an egg,,usually baked potato with chicken and small salad.. at lin h time,in the evening another slice of bread with say a banana..i don’t eat red meat or fish and have to limit my intake of veg at the moment can only eat carrots peas parsnips and bananas and pears...don’t do any dairy use oat milk..my diabetes is in remission,but my coeliac disease is playing up at the moment

You can easily get gluten-free sausages and burgers now, a lot easier than you could 15 years ago I may add, I get them all the time from Asda and Sainsburys, more and more of their normal ranges of sausages are now gluten free (yes I'm coeliac as well, and T1), in fact the gf ones tend to have less carbs in them as well :)

Whilst I'm not low carb, I know there is quite a lot of low carb naturally GF stuff available - I mainly don't do lower carb than I do because I am very very picky about texture and taste - probably related to my aspergers rather than anything else though

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi being low carb is not right for a coeliac

Sorry but that is not correct.
There's no need to eat sausages with gluten.
Plenty of other meats are fine zero carb and perfectly healthy.
Low carb doesn't mean gluten.
If you don't eat red meat or fish then I'm sure it can become harder but please don't try and put others off because of your own dietary choices.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone!

Hi and welcome :)

Absolutely no need to eat egg and bacon every morning. That would be boring for anyone, whether they were trying to lower their carbs or not, coeliac or not.

From your post, I am asuming that you want to cut carbs, because that will help with weight loss and blood gluocse.

Some gluten free lower carb breakfast options include
Berries and full fat greek yoghurt
slices of ham and cheese
shakshuka
gluten free lower carb muesli
gluten free keto breakfast muffins (have a google for recipes, they usually take about 2 mins in the microwave)
low carb hot chocolate (again, recipes all over the internet)
avocado, mashed and spread on ham or cheese rollups

really, breakfast options are only limited by your imagination, so there is a vast range of foods out there.

Also I recently found some low carb/keto AND gluten/grain free breads called Keto8
https://8foods.co.uk/collections/all-products
They are pricey, but I ordered some (strictly for research purposes, you understand! ;) ) and found them very nice indeed.
They do rolls, bagels and loaves, which seem (so far) to freeze well.

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry but that is not correct.
There's no need to eat sausages with gluten.
Plenty of other meats are fine zero carb and perfectly healthy.
Low carb doesn't mean gluten.
If you don't eat red meat or fish then I'm sure it can become harder but please don't try and put others off because of your own dietary choices.
you misinterpreted my views I’m not trying to put anyone off I just was saying what was suitable for me being a coeliac and type two..your statement was unnecessary.and unkind, my experience is as important as yours

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
you misinterpreted my views I’m not trying to put anyone off I just was saying what was suitable for me being a coeliac and type two..your statement was unnecessary.and unkind, my experience is as important as yours

Hi

Sorry but you started with a bold statement.

"Hi being low carb is not right for a coeliac"

Which I disagree with.

It's not being "unkind" to disagree is it?

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst I think bulkbiker may have been a little harsh, as a fellow coeliac (which is obviously not a choice, more an unwanted demand!), it is not my coeliac that stops me going lower carb than I am.
Obviously you may have other issues or reasons that make it difficult (which you do not need to state if you dont want to), but coeliac in itself shouldn't stop you going low carb.

@Brunneria had some good suggestions that should not annoy your coeliac disease

Jomary

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

Sorry but you started with a bold statement.

"Hi being low carb is not right for a coeliac"

Which I disagree with.

It's not being "unkind" to disagree is it?
Are you coeliac .? My Consultant gave this opinion and I preferred to follow his guidelines, I’m not sure what your medicine qualifications are , perhaps you would tell me and where you get your information fromand then I can contact my Consultant to discuss

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Folks,

This thread is intended to give @Jazmine287 some menu ideas.
Please let it not degenerate into bickering over personal diet choices.

I remind you of this, very helpful, forum rule:
A6. This is a Forum of many different personalities – if you disagree with someone then start a constructive debate or use the Private Message (PM) system to have a conversation. It is unhelpful to have to read miles of disagreeing posts, and can deflect from the purpose of the thread (i.e. thread derailing).

Further derailing posts will be deleted.

Last edited: