Covid vaccine halted in other countries

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’m undecided. I just think there’s so much moral pressure to take this vaccine while many countries putting it (AZ) on hold is surprising. For me, I feel hesitant because I already have one autoimmune condition T1D which makes more likely to get other autoimmune diseases, and I already positive thyroid antibodies. We don’t know what causes autoimmune diseases and vaccines are listed as a possible trigger. No long term impact has been examined on covit vaccines. To me the info available is not enough to feel comfortable unfortunately....

Reactions: ziggy_w

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Reactions: michita

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
But it’s for you to deal with if you are the unlucky one. The government decides based on overall benefit.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The effects of me catching covid and not being able to breathe certainly increased my anxiety.
I’m undecided. I just think there’s so much moral pressure to take this vaccine while many countries putting it (AZ) on hold is surprising. For me, I feel hesitant because I already have one autoimmune condition T1D which makes more likely to get other autoimmune diseases, and I already positive thyroid antibodies. We don’t know what causes autoimmune diseases and vaccines are listed as a possible trigger. No long term impact has been examined on covit vaccines. To me the info available is not enough to feel comfortable unfortunately....

Yes, this was my concern too. There won't be proper info until several years time. I decided to have the jab in the end as I have already had Covid, which itself could cause future auto immune problems? Who knows? It wasn't an easy decision. The talk of blood clots and flu like symptoms didn't bother me at all because they can both be dealt with and treated, but auto immune diseases are a different problem altogether.

Reactions: ziggy_w and michita

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But it’s for you to deal with if you are the unlucky one. The government decides based on overall benefit.
Yes with any vaccine that my children had I always viewed it as a 50/50 chance they would get harmed by the vaccine - either they would or they wouldn't. The percentages normally quoted don't mean a thing on an individual basis, and especially if you are one of the unlucky ones.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes with any vaccine that my children had I always viewed it as a 50/50 chance they would get harmed by the vaccine - either they would or they wouldn't. The percentages normally quoted don't mean a thing on an individual basis, and especially if you are one of the unlucky ones.
Do you apply the same principal to the lottery? Either you will win or you won't, therefore the chance of you winning the lottery is 50% . Buy 2 tickets should probably be enough for a win.

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you apply the same principal to the lottery? Either you will win or you won't, therefore the chance of you winning the lottery is 50% . Buy 2 tickets should probably be enough for a win.

I really don’t understand this comparison...

Reactions: hankjam

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No, I apply a 100% win rate. I always 'win' 2 pounds because I never buy a ticket.

Reactions: EllieM

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point was the fact that only say, maybe 1 in 100,000 get severe lifelong side effects doesn't really make you feel any better if your child is one of those whose life had changed forever because you allowed them to have the vaccine.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My point was the fact that only say, maybe 1 in 100,000 get severe lifelong side effects doesn't really make you feel any better if your child is one of those whose life had changed forever because you allowed them to have the vaccine.
I agree that if it is your child that has their life changed by a vaccine you would feel terrible but you would also feel terrible if their life was changed by the disease. You have to weigh up the chances, life is full of risks and they have to be quantified to be able to make a sensible choice.

Reactions: lucylocket61

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The Australian Federal Government are still rolling out the AstraZenaca vaccine for use in the states and territories here.

According to my GP I will be getting my vaccination towards the end of March, beginning of April, I am happy about that info.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update on what has transpired on the risk of embolisms (based on the news today).

The specific risk that might be due to the AZ vaccine is that of an embolism in the brain (which might lead to a stroke). It primarily affects women between the ages of 20 to 50 (so not necessarily the typical risk group for embolisms). However, overall risk of embolisms doesn't seem to be higher than for the general population.

Last edited:

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an update on what has transpired on the risk of embolisms (based on the news today).

The specific risk that might be due to the AZ vaccine is that of an embolism in the brain (which might lead to a stroke). It primarily affects women between the ages of 20 to 50 (so not necessarily the typical risk group for embolisms). However, overall risk of embolisms doesn't seem to be higher than for the general population.
Looks like this is pretty recent, do you have a link to any news you have in that respect as I cannot find anything via internet search

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
On the news today it said there had been a similar number of reported blood clots after the Pfizer vaccine.

I still believe all this in Europe is political. The EU made a mess of it and are now being petty and trying to cover up.

Reactions: EllieM and jjraak

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I still believe all this in Europe is political. The EU made a mess of it and are now being petty.
Got to agree with this, Italy / EU stopped a shipment of AZ vaccine to Australia, I hope Italy remembers this next time they have a disaster happen and Australia is very slow to supply urgent aid like they did last there was a major earthquake there.

https://www.sbs.com.au/news/austral...-blockade-as-italy-insists-ban-is-not-hostile

Australia is supplying poorer countries in the pacific region with the vaccines, this reason they are buying more that we need for local consumption.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: ziggy_w

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Scheduled to get my vaccine tomorrow morning, I think it’s Pfizer, not sure though. In my mind I’d get what ever is available, as long it’s approved by at least two democratic countries lol.

Plugged in a libre sensor so I can track what it does to my BG