High cholesteral,high blood pressure and LC diet

Drfarxan

Hello everyone,
I have type 2 diabetes and was able to lower my HbA1c from 11.84% (105.84 mmol/mol hb) to 5.8 (39.8 mmol/molhb) in 6 months with low carb diet and intermittent fasting. I also lost around 20 kg and my liver enzymes got back to normal.

After 6 months i decided to go back to using metformin and tried out jardiance. Anyways a month ago i started feeling bad with head aches. Checked my blood pressure it was around 130/90-140/90(4-5 months ago it was 120/80). I decided to get a blood test and my T cholesterol(342mg/dl) , LDL (272mg/dl)
,trig 150,HDL 38 mg/dl.

The high cholesterol panel could be because of my weight loss and high fat diet. But what explains the high blood pressure all of a sudden?!!!
Is intermittent fasting raising my cortizole hormon?!! Is my coffee drinking doing it!!! My kidneys are great. Hyperlipidemia does not cause high blood pressure, so what is it!!!

Anyone with the same experience? I am well aware that i need to see a doctor. But i want to know if any of you who are on lchf and lost weight had the same experience.
For the LCHF diet users can you post your lipid profiles?
Did you have high blood pressure and it improved after weight loss and using a lchf diet?
Thank you in advance

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did you have high blood pressure and it improved after weight loss and using a lchf diet?

Yes from hypertension to "normal".
Lipid profiles in my signature.

Have you changed what you eat?
Your high trigs and low HDL number don't suggest a low carb diet.
Or had you not fasted for 12-14 hours before the blood test?

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My bp went from 144/95 down to 120/85 (averages of many tests) when I gave up coffee.
- and I had only ever drunk 1 cup a day, in the mornings.

Drfarxan

Yes from hypertension to "normal".
Lipid profiles in my signature.

Have you changed what you eat?
Your high trigs and low HDL number don't suggest a low carb diet.
Or had you not fasted for 12-14 hours before the blood test?
I cut carbs to 25 grams a day. At most when i cheat its 50 grams because i eat alot of peanuts(the guilty pleasure i have let) which have a net gram of 10-12 g of carbs in 100g. I think i have more protein in my diet. I didn’t do a blood ketone test but a urine test and there were ketones in my urine.
What are your lipids and how did they change after starting LCHF ?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cut carbs to 25 grams a day. At most when i cheat its 50 grams because i eat alot of peanuts(the guilty pleasure i have let) which have a net gram of 10-12 g of carbs in 100g. I think i have more protein in my diet. I didn’t do a blood ketone test but a urine test and there were ketones in my urine.

Lipid results are here along with HbA1c started carnivore July 2019..I think.

Screenshot 2021-03-18 at 09.46.50.png

Cholesterol tests always done after fasting for 12-14 hours pre blood drawer otherwise any results can be skewed).

Drfarxan

Lipid results are here along with HbA1c started carnivore July 2019..I think.

View attachment 48176

Cholesterol tests always done after fasting for 12-14 hours pre blood drawer otherwise any results can be skewed).
Great results i can never go full carnivore.

Those were my first cholesterol blood test after losing 6 kg rapidly in 1 month. Could be the fat depo i had after years of being over weight sipping into the blood. This is the first time i am at these bmi in 10 years.
My only concern now is the blood pressure not the lipids. I don’t need an extra metabolic disease . I heard lchf helps so ill keep at it and follow my bp

Drfarxan

1.)Seems alittle extreme and you have to supplement with minerals and vit c, alittle expensive and the availability is a problem for me. What do you think of the idea that gut biome needs fibre.
Once your weight comes down a bit more your BP will likely drop too.
hopefully when i was starting lc diet i was 120/80. Its been a month now and my bp doesnt drop below 130/85 which is high for a 33 yo. i have no family history of essential hypertension so its strange to me.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What do you think of the idea that gut biome needs fibre.

Amount of necessary dietary carbohydrates is zero.. fairly well known "fact" as essential fats and proteins don't have fibre.
Amount of necessary dietary fibre must also therefore be zero.

Vit C is in meat too which is why carnivores don't get scurvy.

Are you testing BP at home?

Drfarxan

Amount of necessary dietary carbohydrates is zero.. fairly well known "fact" as essential fats and proteins don't have fibre.
i don't think its about nutrition but about feeding the gut biome and preserving its function. True humans don't need dietary glucose but the bacteria in our stomachs need fiber(far as i know). When i had a cat sometimes it would chew on grass and maybe eat it, could be for the same reason to help with its digestion.

I watched a video which said people who eat more carbs need more vitamin C thats why carnivores like the maasai people or inuits don't get scurvy.
Are you testing BP at home?
no,i usually go to the nurse at my family doc's clinic but today i borrowed a sphygmomanomete(cause i don't trust the electronic ones) to follow my bp at home.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Hello everyone,
I have type 2 diabetes and was able to lower my HbA1c from 11.84% (105.84 mmol/mol hb) to 5.8 (39.8 mmol/molhb) in 6 months with low carb diet and intermittent fasting. I also lost around 20 kg and my liver enzymes got back to normal.

After 6 months i decided to go back to using metformin and tried out jardiance. Anyways a month ago i started feeling bad with head aches. Checked my blood pressure it was around 130/90-140/90(4-5 months ago it was 120/80). I decided to get a blood test and my T cholesterol(342mg/dl) , LDL (272mg/dl)
,trig 150,HDL 38 mg/dl.

The high cholesterol panel could be because of my weight loss and high fat diet. But what explains the high blood pressure all of a sudden?!!!
Is intermittent fasting raising my cortizole hormon?!! Is my coffee drinking doing it!!! My kidneys are great. Hyperlipidemia does not cause high blood pressure, so what is it!!!

Anyone with the same experience? I am well aware that i need to see a doctor. But i want to know if any of you who are on lchf and lost weight had the same experience.
For the LCHF diet users can you post your lipid profiles?
Thank you in advance

Dangerously high BP is what caught my high BG. Initially put on two medications, i was able reduce this medication as I got control, via LCHF.

I didn’t get my lipids tested initially, all of my tests were normal while on LCHF.

My diet is mainly fish, greens, avocados, coconut, nuts..

Reactions: danziger

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Stress? Worrying about readings can send it a lot higher causing a vicious circle.

I’m confused. In your op you said you did 6 moths low carb, got a great hb1ac and then 6 months later went back onto metformin and jardiance. Why? What were you on before and during low carb? Could the medication be having any effects?

SarahEN

Hi, a quick query. Are you counting total or net carbs?

Drfarxan

Stress? Worrying about readings can send it a lot higher causing a vicious circle.

I’m confused. In your op you said you did 6 moths low carb, got a great hb1ac and then 6 months later went back onto metformin and jardiance. Why? What were you on before and during low carb? Could the medication be having any effects?
Could be.
6 months since last year mid august i have been using a low carb diet. This year on feb i started using janument and once in a while jardiance.
Why,cause metformin increase insulin sensitivity even non diabetes use it for weight loss and exercise. I dont use janument to lower blood sugar but to treat my insulin resistance. I believe reversal means both increasing insulin sensitivity(lchf,exercise,metformin) and restoring beta cell function. Although i would never eat a high carb again even if a cure existed.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Could be.
6 months since last year mid august i have been using a low carb diet. This year on feb i started using janument and once in a while jardiance.
Why,cause metformin increase insulin sensitivity even non diabetes use it for weight loss and exercise. I dont use janument to lower blood sugar but to treat my insulin resistance. I believe reversal means both increasing insulin sensitivity(lchf,exercise,metformin) and restoring beta cell function. Although i would never eat a high carb again even if a cure existed.
So you got down to Hb1ac of 39 (non diabetic) from 113 using just low carb which addresses both bgl and IR and then started on medication typically used to treat diabetes? I’m afraid im still confused on that logic. Have you checked the side effects of these medications?

Drfarxan

So you got down to Hb1ac of 39 (non diabetic) from 113 using just low carb which addresses both bgl and IR and then started on medication typically used to treat diabetes? I’m afraid im still confused on that logic. Have you checked the side effects of these medications?
I lowered my blood sugar and HbA1c but my insulin resistance is still there. Treating diabetes is treating your insulin resistance(exercising,lchf diet and even metformin), lowering blood insulin levels(lchf does that),lowering bg,losing visseral fat. I only here great things about metformin.
Metformin can cause lactose asidosis if you have an impared kidney. Phlorizine(jardiance) i am trying it as an experiement i read the side effects. But i don’t use it as much only when i eat access carbs but will not use it.
I am just trying to fix the issue i go to an internal medicine dr here ask him questions about these drugs. Both cause side effects if your kidneys arent working properly which mine are.

SarahEN

Net carbs but i am thinking of switching to counting total carbs after listening to dr eric westman
Yes I would. Total carbs is safer if you are on a low carb diet. Otherwise you could eat 100g of carbs but think it's less because of the fibre content. The fibre is good but it doesn't stop the carbs spiking your bg levels unfortunately.

Drfarxan

I lowered my blood sugar and HbA1c but my insulin resistance is still there. Treating diabetes is treating your insulin resistance(exercising,lchf diet and even metformin), lowering blood insulin levels(lchf does that),lowering bg,losing visseral fat. I only here great things about metformin.
Metformin can cause lactose asidosis if you have an impared kidney. Phlorizine(jardiance) i am trying it as an experiement i read the side effects. But i don’t use it as much only when i eat access carbs but will not use it.
I am just trying to fix the issue i go to an internal medicine dr here ask him questions about these drugs. Both cause side effects if your kidneys arent working properly which mine are.
I am waiting this month to be over then ill go for my HbA1c and other blood tests check up. Then ill go to the internal med dr ask him about the high blood pressure and if its related to my drug experiements