New Diagnosis - it will never happen to me!!!!

SteamyD

I was diagnosed Type 2 @ 58 mmol/mol on Monday (no meds), on a phone con while taking the kids and myself for a McDonalds Drive thru - ooh the irony!!. As an ex rugby player thought of myself as kind of bulletproof, how wrong you can be. Just sinking in but determined to do the right thing - I fit the 'classic' profile overweight, bad diet, exercise diminished especially during COVID so Peleton on its way, new larder full of Low GI foods and a plan. Couple of questions for the forum,

I have my New Diabetic follow up with the nurse next week and have a whole bunch of questions but what would you say are the key things I need to know?

Secondly whilst I take full responsibility for all of the lifestyle elements that led me here I feel really frustrated that Prediabetes was never explained to me by my GP 18 months ago, I fell into the trap of thinking Pre = no danger is this lack of explanation common?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome.

Reduction in carbs (many of us severely) is the best way to bring about lower blood glucose and remission.
Exercise less important . Maybe try a limited eating window too.
58 mmol/m is fairly easily rectified following a low carb way of eating (its also jolly tasty).

I"d suggest getting your own blood glucose meter and getting into a regular testing regime to monitor what various foods do to your blood glucose levels.

Many GP's are pretty useless where T2 diabetes is concerned but I agree its very poor service.

Reactions: SteamyD

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed Type 2 @ 58 mmol/mol on Monday (no meds), on a phone con while taking the kids and myself for a McDonalds Drive thru - ooh the irony!!. As an ex rugby player thought of myself as kind of bulletproof, how wrong you can be. Just sinking in but determined to do the right thing - I fit the 'classic' profile overweight, bad diet, exercise diminished especially during COVID so Peleton on its way, new larder full of Low GI foods and a plan. Couple of questions for the forum,

I have my New Diabetic follow up with the nurse next week and have a whole bunch of questions but what would you say are the key things I need to know?

Secondly whilst I take full responsibility for all of the lifestyle elements that led me here I feel really frustrated that Prediabetes was never explained to me by my GP 18 months ago, I fell into the trap of thinking Pre = no danger is this lack of explanation common?

Hi there, what do those low GI foods consist of that are now sitting in your larder? I only ask because low GI is very different to low carb. x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Prediabetes was never explained to me by my GP 18 months ago, I fell into the trap of thinking Pre = no danger is this lack of explanation common?
I only found my 2006, yes 2006, prediabetic diagnosis on my online record last year. No one had ever mentioned it to me, ever in 14 years

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
I too, would be really miffed at that @MrsA2 .... we all have an obligation to check ourselves in for whatever ails us. The HCPs equally have the same obligations to disclose any danger signs.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
There are lots of factors involved in developing T2, not least that the so called Eatwell Plate is not great for people who tend towards T2 - and a terrible way to eat once your are T2.
More GPs and diabetic nurses are getting up to speed on research into low carb, but many dieticians are not. They like us to eat porridge for breakfast, something my meter told me my body cannot cope with.
Low GI is better than an ordinary diet, but many of us find low carb is much better. All carbs turn into sugars in our bodies, and T2s cannot process it properly.
I choose to sign up for the low carb program, with helpful weekly menus, videos, recipes and expert advice. But others just use links from this forum or read up on Jason Fung or Dr Unwin.

Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

SteamyD

Hi there, what do those low GI foods consist of that are now sitting in your larder? I only ask because low GI is very different to low carb. x
Thanks, mainly porridge, beans, fruit and protein. Assumed porridge was good as its the go to whenever you ask anyone about diets but looking it's just slow release carbs. Looking at labels I see x grams Carb and then y grams 'that sugars' is it the y grams that sugars that matters or all? Thanks for the advice on where to go for low carb.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, mainly porridge, beans, fruit and protein. Assumed porridge was good as its the go to whenever you ask anyone about diets but looking it's just slow release carbs. Looking at labels I see x grams Carb and then y grams 'that sugars' is it the y grams that sugars that matters or all? Thanks for the advice on where to go for low carb.

Hi, thanks for replying. I'm afraid that porridge, fruit (most of it) and beans ALL have amounts of carbs in them that are very likely to raise your glucose levels. To give an example, if I eat porridge I have to use far MORE insulin than I would if I was eating a chocolate eclair. Similar with fruit & beans. It sounds ridiculous I know as I'm sure the nutritional values of those things you mention would be better than that gleaned from an eclair. If your goal is to lower your levels though then you are better off looking at the total CARBS, not so much whether it's classed as 'healthy or unhealthy'. For a person whose system is wonky (ie, unable to cope well with carbs) then it won't cope with carbs no matter where they come from. This is a simplistic explanation (and I'm sure others will be along to help you as a type 2) and of course we are all different so some people can eat more carbs than another and be able to cope, essentially though it's about finding your own level, by testing & testing. I think you will be surprised. x

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I'm afraid that all carbs, no matter what colour or type, will likely raise your blood glucose.
Some more than others it's true but unfortunately that's what they do.
If you want to learn more abut low carb foods then www.dietdoctor.com is a very good resource.

SteamyD

There are lots of factors involved in developing T2, not least that the so called Eatwell Plate is not great for people who tend towards T2 - and a terrible way to eat once your are T2.
More GPs and diabetic nurses are getting up to speed on research into low carb, but many dieticians are not. They like us to eat porridge for breakfast, something my meter told me my body cannot cope with.
Low GI is better than an ordinary diet, but many of us find low carb is much better. All carbs turn into sugars in our bodies, and T2s cannot process it properly.
I choose to sign up for the low carb program, with helpful weekly menus, videos, recipes and expert advice. But others just use links from this forum or read up on Jason Fung or Dr Unwin.
Thanks, which Low Carb program did you sign up for?

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi and welcome to the forum. Like you I was told I was not diabetic but "pre-diabetic" no further explanation. I took that like being told I was "pre-dead", and paid no attention. Once properly diagnosed as diabetic, low carb worked for me and I was back in normal range in 4 months - symptoms I'd had for 10 years or so all receding or gone. My advice would be a) to do a complete reboot on what we've been told are "healthy foods" - fruit, rice, porridge, bread, pasta, etc. If our blood glucose has got over 50, we definitely have problems with carbohydrate, and common sense tells you that the first thing to do is reduce the thing that causes the problem; and b) get a meter and test your glucose levels before and after meals - people often find they can tolerate some carbs better than others. Best of luck. This forum is an excellent source of advice on all things diabetic.

Reactions: Lainie71 and EllieM

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

I agree with the previous posters that all carbs are not great for us type 2 diabetics. Having healthy carbs was what pushed me from prediabetes to diabetes. I used to have porridge with oats and strawberries everyday. My blood test (non fasting) after that was what really lead to the diagnosis. Very high blood sugar levels.

So the first thing you will need is a meter. That will be the thing that will tell you what levels of carbs your body can tolerate. I went very low carb straight away (less than 20 grams a day) to b ring my levels down as quickly as possible. That route is not for everyone. You need to work out what your body can tolerate and what you can sustain.

Yes unfortunately many of us have had the same experience with prediabtetes. Having said that many in the medical field think it's a progressive illness with nothing you can do.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: EllieM

SteamyD

Hi and welcome to the forum. Like you I was told I was not diabetic but "pre-diabetic" no further explanation. I took that like being told I was "pre-dead", and paid no attention. Once properly diagnosed as diabetic, low carb worked for me and I was back in normal range in 4 months - symptoms I'd had for 10 years or so all receding or gone. My advice would be a) to do a complete reboot on what we've been told are "healthy foods" - fruit, rice, porridge, bread, pasta, etc. If our blood glucose has got over 50, we definitely have problems with carbohydrate, and common sense tells you that the first thing to do is reduce the thing that causes the problem; and b) get a meter and test your glucose levels before and after meals - people often find they can tolerate some carbs better than others. Best of luck. This forum is an excellent source of advice on all things diabetic.
Thanks for the advice Kenny - focusing on shedding the kilo's and knocking down the obvious big carbs until next HbA1c test in May and then I'll get the refined plan nailed and start regular testing.

SteamyD

Hi, thanks for replying. I'm afraid that porridge, fruit (most of it) and beans ALL have amounts of carbs in them that are very likely to raise your glucose levels. To give an example, if I eat porridge I have to use far MORE insulin than I would if I was eating a chocolate eclair. Similar with fruit & beans. It sounds ridiculous I know as I'm sure the nutritional values of those things you mention would be better than that gleaned from an eclair. If your goal is to lower your levels though then you are better off looking at the total CARBS, not so much whether it's classed as 'healthy or unhealthy'. For a person whose system is wonky (ie, unable to cope well with carbs) then it won't cope with carbs no matter where they come from. This is a simplistic explanation (and I'm sure others will be along to help you as a type 2) and of course we are all different so some people can eat more carbs than another and be able to cope, essentially though it's about finding your own level, by testing & testing. I think you will be surprised. x
Thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate the insight especially on porridge..

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for the advice Kenny - focusing on shedding the kilo's and knocking down the obvious big carbs until next HbA1c test in May and then I'll get the refined plan nailed and start regular testing.
Why not start testing now?

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @KennyA - the HbA1c only gives averages and won't let you know if you have had real spikes. I think it is very much a blunt instrument and useful if you have made no dietary changes but once you make dietary changes you won't know what has helped and what hasn't. Why delay working out what you an and can't eat?

Lupf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
hi @SteamyD It is the carbs which T2 can't tolerate, but we are all different and you will have to find out yourself what works for you. Some in this forum are on very low carb diets 30g/day or less, others on low carb (130 g per day). In my case I use intermittent fasting, so 2 days with 600 calories per week. During fast days I eat no food which are high in carbs, so mostly vegetable and eggs, greek yoghurt, and sometimes chicken or fish. With this diet I lost 10 kg and lowered my Hb1Ac such that I am now without medication. On the other days I eat "normal", e.g. muesli for breakfast, but I've reduced significantly carby food, such as bread, and pasta. I still continue fasting as I tolerate it fairly well and it allows me to keep the weight off, which has other benefits.

Reactions: LaoDan