New to insulin

LynW1234

New to taking insulin but not diabetes I've been put on 8 units of Humalin 1 twice a day. BG level on Wednesday begore Insulin was 23.3, astronomically high, BG level before breakfast today 7.6. Am worried it will keep dropping. Does it work that quick? Have a call with DN on monday so will ask then but thought I'd ask here to people that have been in the same situation maybe. Thanks

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been on the same insulin for several years now and was told to ensure the number before bed was around 8.5 which considering it should be lower than this 2 hours after eating always seem strange to me. However mine is usually lower nowadays but if you test late evening you can always eat something like a piece of toast if you feel that would give you confidence until you check with the DN on Monday. Keep your test kit by the bed and something for a quick carb fix in the unlikely event its needed - few jelly babies maybe.
I used to have 8 at night and 4 in the morning but as I live alone now have moved this around for a few months so I know I am unlikely to go very low overnight.