Finally ready to change- help me get started.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It will get better and it will get easier. You miss carbs less and learn alternatives

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I also found it helpful to focus on the things I could eat. Cheese particularly hard cheese, double cream in coffee instead of milk for example. What types of things do you normally eat that you are worried about missing. Are you a sweet tooth or not? There are a lot off options ask away and let us help.

Lilysun

I also found it helpful to focus on the things I could eat. Cheese particularly hard cheese, double cream in coffee instead of milk for example. What types of things do you normally eat that you are worried about missing. Are you a sweet tooth or not? There are a lot off options ask away and let us help.
I have a massive sweet tooth. Especially chocolate, but in the last few days I’ve found dark chocolate covered almonds or Brazil nuts seem not to affect my levels much. Apart from that I miss cake haha. And toast.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a massive sweet tooth. Especially chocolate, but in the last few days I’ve found dark chocolate covered almonds or Brazil nuts seem not to affect my levels much. Apart from that I miss cake haha. And toast.
There are keto cakes. Do a search and there’s loads.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I like dark chocolate chocolate covered almonds and Brazil nuts as well. I also find any chocolate between 70 - 85 (I find anything higher too bitter) doesn’t affect my BS too much. You’ll get there just take it at your own pace!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you start thinking of it now as a mild poison you'll get there even quicker.
I think of it as an allergy, after all those allergic to nuts don't eat them do they? Therefore I am allergic to most carbs

Reactions: HSSS

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cook a keto treat cake in a 7" inch square tin, cut it into 16 and freeze them. That way lasts me 10 days or so, and I still feel 'treated'

Reactions: HSSS

Blessedarethecheesemakers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Did you follow the gestational diabetes uk website / Facebook page during pregnancy? There are TONS of recipes including cakes / desserts.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok I'm also a sweet tooth.

I have diet jelly with some cream- basically no carbs. I have some peanut butter (made with skins on much lower carb than normal) either by itself (a teaspoon or two) or with cream, You can google keto cake, brownies etc.

The first thing to work out is how many carbs you can eat. For me this depends on two factors- the meter that tells you the actual maximum amount your body can tolerate and then your own personality. I'm an all or nothing so find it easier having lower carbs than most. I physically crave carbs less if I have less. The very few times I have allowed myself a treat- for example a 5 carb brownie- makes me start craving carbs more so I try to avoid them. Having said that I am an emotional eater so I do sometimes really crave something. If I make the brownies or something else I freeze them so I don't eat them all at once. I also occasionally freeze my jelly to change the texture.

Good luck but don't feel discouraged as you have already seen people are more than happy to give suggestions- It will get better I promise.

Lilysun

Ok I'm also a sweet tooth.

I have diet jelly with some cream- basically no carbs. I have some peanut butter (made with skins on much lower carb than normal) either by itself (a teaspoon or two) or with cream, You can google keto cake, brownies etc.

The first thing to work out is how many carbs you can eat. For me this depends on two factors- the meter that tells you the actual maximum amount your body can tolerate and then your own personality. I'm an all or nothing so find it easier having lower carbs than most. I physically crave carbs less if I have less. The very few times I have allowed myself a treat- for example a 5 carb brownie- makes me start craving carbs more so I try to avoid them. Having said that I am an emotional eater so I do sometimes really crave something. If I make the brownies or something else I freeze them so I don't eat them all at once. I also occasionally freeze my jelly to change the texture.

Good luck but don't feel discouraged as you have already seen people are more than happy to give suggestions- It will get better I promise.
This is so useful thank you. Is there an actual meter that tells you how many carbs you can tolerate?

Lilysun

I’m getting there with controlling blood sugars in the day, but does anyone have any tips on how to control the morning ones? I find mine are almost always around 7. Is there a way I can reduce these?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
This is so useful thank you. Is there an actual meter that tells you how many carbs you can tolerate?
Any of them. Test before the meal and 2 hrs Are looking for a minimal rise between them, no more than 2mmol. If it’s more then your body didn’t cope well with the carbs.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m getting there with controlling blood sugars in the day, but does anyone have any tips on how to control the morning ones? I find mine are almost always around 7. Is there a way I can reduce these?
The fasting ones are the last ones to come under control for most of us. And I mean months not days or weeks. In time as the rest of the day are stable and under control these will improve too and it doesn’t mean things are not 8mproving overall sometimes significantly so don’t be too disheartened. Also look up dawn phenomenon. Essentially the liver dumps glucose into the blood in the morning to get us up and going. All quite normal. In type 2 it over dumps and and is slower to recognise when enough is enough.

Andy_Warlow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cycling,
As a lot of people has said this is the last one to come back under control.

You can only drop this by diet and exercising. Fasting does help too.

Intermitting fasting can help with this, by skipping breakfast you'll give your body as rest. So say you don't eat for 16 hours. Your body will use up the sugar.

By using up the stored sugars, you will have less in the store for the liver to dump in the morning.

Also your body realise hormones, which even if you skip breakfast you will still feel the least hungry in the day at 08:00am. Depending what time you get up.

Also hungry cycle goes away in approx 20 mins, so if your busy, you'll soon forget about it.

16 hours not eating and 8 eating is a really good one for reduction in blood glucose.

Lilysun

Thank you all! I’m also looking up the eight week blood sugar diet from Michael Mosley. They have a companion recipe book as well which is quite helpful.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you all! I’m also looking up the eight week blood sugar diet from Michael Mosley. They have a companion recipe book as well which is quite helpful.
That’s effectively a very low calorie diet (which also by its nature means low carb too). It works as a kick start for some but many find going straight to the very low carb without the hunger a far more preferable choice and just as effective without any risk of metabolism slow either. Just make sure you do your reading before you make your choice and understand the pros and cons

Lilysun

Thank you all. Does anyone know about the link between PCOS and type 2? I’ve been searching the forums and bits and bobs have come up but I was wondering if anyone with PCOS has achieved remission? Doctors can’t seem to decide if I have PCOS or not. But I’ve heard it causes insulin resistance which would be a big factor in this.

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
Thank you all so much for your advice and encouragement. Today I followed the advice a few of you put to me on low carb, I’ve also started reading Dr Jason Fung’s book the diabetes code. My blood sugars have been the lowest today than they have for a long time...just did a reading now and it was 7.7 two hours after eating.
My question is - do I have to be so strict forever? I was very controlled today and understand that il have to do this for a good while but is there ever a point where people have found their tolerance to certain foods improves? So right now I can’t tolerate bread at all but if I keep eating healthily is there a time in the future where I may be able to enjoy it again?

If you want to try alternatives, there is a website called seriously low carb, I buy the bread rolls and keeps me happy when I’m craving a sandwich, if chocolate is a craving I also go with 90% lindt as someone else said on here. Small steps, try not to feel too overwhelmed, you have just had a baby and dealing with this. You will soon get the hang of it and be preparing your own meals and enjoying it. If you like baking, almond flour is the alternative to plain flour. Wishing you luck, remember there’s lots of lovely people on her to help you on your journey. and congratulations on your new baby