Any thoughts on really delicious birthday cakes?

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Any thoughts on really delicious birthday cakes? I don't usually, but this year I'd really love something luscious.

I've made the stracciatella cake, which is super, and the no-sugar choc/butter/eggs chocolate mousse cake, nice though a bit spartan. Any other thoughts? Very much welcomed.

Lucy SW

Reactions: ziggy_w

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! I was just about to mention the stracciatella cake. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
i love low carb tarts made with almond crust. Or something more sophisticated with cream and jelly :)

Coconut Yogurt Cake

Ingredients ( makes 16 pieces):

Base:

• 150g ground almond

• 30g cocoa powder

• 2 tbsp. powdered xylitol

• 1 egg

• 2 tbsp. coconut oil
Coconut mousse:

• 250 ml coconut cream

• 500 g greek style yogurt

• 8 tbsp. powdered xylitol

• 1 tsp. coconut essence

• 4 tsp. gelatine dissolved in 1/6 glass hot water
Jelly topping:

• 1 sachet sugar free jelly (you will need about 300ml)

• 200g blueberries

• Coconut for decoration
Preparation:

Base:

• Preheat oven to 180C.

• Place all the ingredients for the base in a large bowl and mix well together.

• Form a bowl from dough and press evenly into 20cm square baking tin (lined with baking paper). Bake for about 10 minutes and set aside to cool down.

Coconut mousse:

• Dissolve gelatine in hot water and stir well (there shouldn’t be any lumps). Set aside to cool down slightly.

• In mixing bowl place the chilled coconut cream. Beat (using electric mixer) until stiff (note: whipped coconut cream is not as stiff as whipped heavy cream).

• Add yogurt, spoon after spoon, whisking constantly. Beat at high speed for a few minutes. At the end add the powdered xylitol and coconut essence and beat for further few minutes.

• Add 2 tbsp. yogurt mixture to dissolved gelatin and mix well. Pour it to the yogurt mixture beating constantly.

• Pour the whole mixture on cooled down base and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until well set.

Jelly topping:

• Prepare jelly and cool it down completely.

• Arrange blueberries on the set cake and slowly pour the jelly over blueberries. Refrigerate until jelly well set.

Attachments

• 1149019_222902051192932_1272230432_n.jpg
    1149019_222902051192932_1272230432_n.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 99

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any thoughts on really delicious birthday cakes? I don't usually, but this year I'd really love something luscious.

I've made the stracciatella cake, which is super, and the no-sugar choc/butter/eggs chocolate mousse cake, nice though a bit spartan. Any other thoughts? Very much welcomed.

Lucy SW

My personal favorite -- egg liqueur cake -- might be a bit labor-intensive as you decide to make the egg liqueur yourself (commercial versions made with sugar unfortunately), however since there isn't a lot egg liqueur in this, you might get away with the regular version..

Ingredients
80g butter
100g erythritol (or other low-carb sweetener)
5 eggs
100g high-cocoa-content chocolate
200g ground hazelnuts
½ package baking powder
2 tbsp egg liqueur in dough

Mix ingredients and bake at 180 degrees centigrade for half an hour to one hour (done when a tooth pick comes out clean)
2 cups of whipped cream (cover cake and place little rosettes around the edge of cake)
Egg liqueur to decorate (pour inside the rosettes and spread across the surface by tilting cake.

Egg liqueur is basically a mixture of eggs (egg whites and egg yolks whipped separately, add powdered erythritol and whiskey).

eierlikortorte-default.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: LucySW

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My personal favorite -- egg liqueur cake -- might be a bit labor-intensive as you decide to make the egg liqueur yourself (commercial versions made with sugar unfortunately), however since there isn't a lot egg liqueur in this, you might get away with the regular version..

Ingredients
80g butter
100g erythritol (or other low-carb sweetener)
5 eggs
100g high-cocoa-content chocolate
200g ground hazelnuts
½ package baking powder
2 tbsp egg liqueur in dough

Mix ingredients and bake at 180 degrees centigrade for half an hour to one hour (done when a tooth pick comes out clean)
2 cups of whipped cream (cover cake and place little rosettes around the edge of cake)
Egg liqueur to decorate (pour inside the rosettes and spread across the surface by tilting cake.

Egg liqueur is basically a mixture of eggs (egg whites and egg yolks whipped separately, add powdered erythritol and whiskey).

eierlikortorte-default.jpg

Oooohh yummy!

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
i love low carb tarts made with almond crust. Or something more sophisticated with cream and jelly :)

Coconut Yogurt Cake

Ingredients ( makes 16 pieces):

Base:

• 150g ground almond

• 30g cocoa powder

• 2 tbsp. powdered xylitol

• 1 egg

• 2 tbsp. coconut oil
Coconut mousse:

• 250 ml coconut cream

• 500 g greek style yogurt

• 8 tbsp. powdered xylitol

• 1 tsp. coconut essence

• 4 tsp. gelatine dissolved in 1/6 glass hot water
Jelly topping:

• 1 sachet sugar free jelly (you will need about 300ml)

• 200g blueberries

• Coconut for decoration
Preparation:

Base:

• Preheat oven to 180C.

• Place all the ingredients for the base in a large bowl and mix well together.

• Form a bowl from dough and press evenly into 20cm square baking tin (lined with baking paper). Bake for about 10 minutes and set aside to cool down.

Coconut mousse:

• Dissolve gelatine in hot water and stir well (there shouldn’t be any lumps). Set aside to cool down slightly.

• In mixing bowl place the chilled coconut cream. Beat (using electric mixer) until stiff (note: whipped coconut cream is not as stiff as whipped heavy cream).

• Add yogurt, spoon after spoon, whisking constantly. Beat at high speed for a few minutes. At the end add the powdered xylitol and coconut essence and beat for further few minutes.

• Add 2 tbsp. yogurt mixture to dissolved gelatin and mix well. Pour it to the yogurt mixture beating constantly.

• Pour the whole mixture on cooled down base and refrigerate for at least 6 hours or until well set.

Jelly topping:

• Prepare jelly and cool it down completely.

• Arrange blueberries on the set cake and slowly pour the jelly over blueberries. Refrigerate until jelly well set.

THANK YOU Evelina!! I think it was one of yours: I made the New York cheesecake. It was heavenly

Reactions: ewelina