Prediabetes BG spike

I am currently pre diabetic. Two few years had a reading of 47. Panicked and got it back to 39 but loosing a bit of weight, changing diet and exercising. Im 60 years old and not very overweight (was 88kg). I had a lot of stress last year and didn’t do much exercise and diet not as strict. Had a hba1c test 2 weeks ago and result was 55. I have been given 3 months to see if I can get it down before being diagnosed diabetic. In 2 weeks I have reduced weight to 85.4kg, exercised and changed my diet. I bought a meter and 4 days ago started using it first thing in the morning. First day wax 6.2, then 5.8 then 6.2. Yesterday I decided to take a reading 2 hours after lunch and it was 6.3. Then decided to take it 2 hours after evening meal ( where I had a normal meal but ate a Cadbury flake desert) and my bg was 10.5. I was shocked. This morning after fasting it’s still 7.2. Clearly disappointed but can this happen or do I have a problem.

Doireallyneedanams

I was under the impression that a single hba1c in the diabetic range was enough to diagnose however a follow up for confirmation was usually performed shortly after especially if there are no symptoms present.

I would say you are diabetic and should steer clear of the puddings you mentioned. A non diabetic wouldn’t have a fasting of 7.2 regardless of what their glucose did the night before.

There’s lots of advice here regarding diet. What was your “normal” meal?

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone experiences spikes after eating something sugary.
There are Libre graphs on the internet from people without diabetes which show readings around 9 and 10.
For that reason, I do not panic about single high readings. The concern would be if your readings stayed that high.

And remember, our meters are not 100% accurate. The 10.5 could be about 9.0 and your meter is still within the error tolerance allowed.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fluctuations in blood glucose happen to all of us, and those of us with glucose dysregulation get bigger fluctuations than those who don't. If you are only taking fasting blood glucose readings, then you are missing all of the perfectly natural fluctuations that happen throughout the day, and won't really have a clue what is going on.

I suggest that you test on waking, then before breakfast, then 2 hours after breakfast, then before lunch, and 2 hours after, then before your evening meal, then two hours after. Then again at bed time.

You will only need to do this for a couple of days to see how much your bg is rising and falling. It only stays on a nice steady (ish) line for a lucky few. Even non diabetics see some significant fluctuations.

While I applaud your doctor for encouraging you to control your bg by diet and lifestyle, I am amazed that they have said they are doing it to avoid a diagnosis. With an HbA1c of 55 you are well into the diabetic range, and had been so for some time before the test. The HbA1c isn't a snapshot. It is an approx average of readings over the last 2-3 months, and shows significant glucose dysregulation.

In your situation I would be asking for a clear diagnosis, which would ensure that your health is monitored regularly in future, which would help in the long term. By dodging a diagnosis now, your doc will be spared the cost of running those checks, but you will be without the eye tests, foot tests and scheduled blood tests that would monitor your health for future complications.

An HbA1c of 55 equates to an average glucometer prick test reading of 8.7mmol/l on a daily basis.

HbA1c-indicator.jpg

https://www.beatoapp.com/blog/hba1c-7-effective-ways-to-handle-your-a1c-levels/

Reactions: oldgreymare
I was under the impression that a single hba1c in the diabetic range was enough to diagnose however a follow up for confirmation was usually performed shortly after especially if there are no symptoms present.

I would say you are diabetic and should steer clear of the puddings you mentioned. A non diabetic wouldn’t have a fasting of 7.2 regardless of what their glucose did the night before.

There’s lots of advice here regarding diet. What was your “normal” meal?

It was roast chicken dinner with a few roast potatoes and veg ( including butternut squash). And stupidly because the date was running out I had 2 of the flake deserts

Doireallyneedanams

Everyone experiences spikes after eating something sugary.
There are Libre graphs on the internet from people without diabetes which show readings around 9 and 10.
For that reason, I do not panic about single high readings. The concern would be if your readings stayed that high.

And remember, our meters are not 100% accurate. The 10.5 could be about 9.0 and your meter is still within the error tolerance allowed.

Or that 10.5 could be 11.

All the studies I’ve read show that although meters aren’t 100% accurate with post prandial, the difference between meter & lab with fasting bloods is negligible. Therefore, with an hba1c of 55 and a fasting over 7 as stated above this is almost certainly diabetes.

finsit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would advise, just stick to low-carb diet and prioritise proteins and eat the fat that comes with it. Definitely regular aerobic/resistance exercise will help in long-run as well. You are lucky to have it diagnosed on a fairly early stage, many of us got caught it after a1c of 80 and 90 which is far difficult to control than yours. I am sure if you attend to this situation properly, you should be back to non-d range in less than 3 months. The only caveat is the persistence :)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was roast chicken dinner with a few roast potatoes and veg ( including butternut squash). And stupidly because the date was running out I had 2 of the flake deserts
We've all been there! Its only by testing you can see results of foods, and once you've seen the spikes it gets much easier to stop eating that food. You may well find the roast potatoes had as much effect as the 2 desserts. Onyl testing them each separately will tell you, but don't be surprised if both spike you too much.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I'd been given this option.
My HbA1c was 52 & got the label for life.
Mine was 48 on diagnosis and, despite having a non diabetic Hba1c for approx 8 years, my DN still says I’m diabetic albeit well controlled.