Struggling with friends that don’t understand my T1 struggle

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had a rough bout of COVID at the end of last year that took a very long time to recover from. Since then I have had the Covid jab which left me unwell again. I have been feeling unwell in general and am having tests done as I may have low iron level or B12. Some friends don’t believe my struggles and feel I am using this bad bought of health to get out of doing activities with them. I’m so tired with managing my T1 and the rest of the issues that I don’t have energy to explain or feel I should at this point.

Anyone else struggled with Friends who simply don’t get how up and down their condition is and the fact that sometimes when your under the weather you can’t always commit to things. It’s hard to want to remain friends with people who don’t get your condition and accuse you of using you your health as an excuse? Finding this hard as I’m already isolated due to the lockdown

Wanderer89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

If I’m being totally honest with you not many of my friends totally understand it, in fact, a few didn’t even know I had it until i recently told them as I’m very discreet with the testing & injecting. Don’t worry about what other people think concentrate on yourself & your health & if they are real friends they will stick by you.

Reactions: xxrubywxx_ and ert

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, welcome to the forum :)

If I’m being totally honest with you not many of my friends totally understand it, in fact, a few didn’t even know I had it until i recently told them as I’m very discreet with the testing & injecting. Don’t worry about what other people think concentrate on yourself & your health & if they are real friends they will stick by you.
Thank you, nice to know I’m not alone

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I suspect that they are either going to have to start to accept that there are quite a few people who are rather fragile now, or do without so many friends and acquaintances.
My own circle is diminished, and when we can start to meet again things will be rather different. Perhaps once the vaccinations are done there will be some research to try to reduce the long term effects.

Reactions: xxrubywxx_

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I think very few that don’t have it understand

But the harsh realities are.. you’ve just got to suck it up and get on with it

I’m 47 work 60 hours a week.. I don’t get to pick and choose what I do if I did I’d have no job no home

The sad thing is we just have to try and live as normal life as possible

Reactions: oldgreymare

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think very few that don’t have it understand

But the harsh realities are.. you’ve just got to suck it up and get on with it

I’m 47 work 60 hours a week.. I don’t get to pick and choose what I do if I did I’d have no job no home

The sad thing is we just have to try and live as normal life as possible

Yes agreed, I work in a very high pressured job and live on my own run my own house etc. Don’t have much help at all so sometimes I can’t always commit to activities with others. Unfortunately it gets taken very personally by others but I am slowly realising my health and my life come first and I can’t control how others feel

Reactions: searley

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes agreed, I work in a very high pressured job and live on my own run my own house etc. Don’t have much help at all so sometimes I can’t always commit to activities with others. Unfortunately it gets taken very personally by others but I am slowly realising my health and my life come first and I can’t control how others feel

You do what you need.. reality is they may not understand but if they are real friends they will accept

Reactions: xxrubywxx_