Really confused

Keano100

So I’ve just been diagnosed. First off I just need to check that the blood sugar result for glucose you get from a blood test is effectively same as meter reading?

The blood test result was 16.5. Today I saw nurse I hadn’t eaten for about 3 hours and she took a reading of 13.5. I’ve now not eaten for 6 hours took reading said 10, so I took it again 10 minutes later to see if mistake and said 8.6 lol. I was shocked with the 16.5 which was fasting and now it’s 8.6. Not sure if I’m even diabetic now maybe I’m pre and the vaccine just really screwed the results although my 3 month test was 101. So very confused.

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Hi @Keano100
Finger prick tests like those you describe while valuable are not used to diagnose Diabetes here in the UK. 3 hours after eating isn't a Fasting Blood Glucose test - it would usually give a reading affected by the food you ate (unless you ate a low carbohydrate meal). A true Fasting Blood Glucose test would be before breakfast.
The test used for diagnosing Diabetes is the HbA1C and that is done twice to confirm. It's a test where a Nurse withdraws blood from your arm into a vial which is sent off to a lab for analysis. The readings are of different things (Glycated Blood cells in your bloodstream for an indication of average blood glucose over the past 2 to 3 months, versus an instantaneous reading of Blood Glucose right now)and have different scales.

Fasting Blood Glucose (finger prick) tests can be higher than the reading after eating a meal -if the meal is low in carbohydrates.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Keano100 and welcome!

If your 3 month test (HbA1c) was 101, that’s very diabetic! To give you some context, the threshold for diabetes diagnosis in the UK is 48. Pre-diabetes is 42-47.

However, many of us here have sorted things from a similar position (my own HbA1c at diagnosis was 108).

If you’ve not eaten for a few hours, then your numbers will go down, so the pattern you explain above sounds very plausible. The vaccine may have sent your numbers higher than they otherwise might have been, but this won’t have affected the HbA1c.

What advice have you been given and have you been prescribed any medication? That information will help us to make suggestions for you.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

There are a number of different units about but when using a meter you are aiming for less than 8. I aim for readings in the 5s although if I'm stressed and haven't slept it creeps up.

Here's a link with some basic information that may help.
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

And another I found helpful
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/basic-information-for-newly-diagnosed-diabetics.17088/

We can't diagnose here but my suggestion is to go to a dr and get a HbA1c test done. That will tell you whether you are a diabetic or not. If you are then you need to find out whether you are type 1 or type 2. If you are older and overweight it is more likely that you are type 2.

If you are a type 2 the meter will be your friend. It will let you work out the amount of carbs that your body can tolerate- all this is the links above.

Good luck and let us know how you get on with the HbA1c test.

Keano100

Thanks for reply guys. Yes I had HBA1c test which was 101. I’m just surprised my blood sugar has dropped from 16.5 which they diagnosed at to now 8.6 which wasn’t even a true fast. I appreciate the HB is very high but 8.6 puts me in pre diabetes doesn’t it ? By the way I’m delighted it’s 8.6 after initial 16.5 but just confused.

Keano100

So in space of week I’ve gone from a 16.5 fasting blood test. To reading just took pre meal of 5.5 ? Is that normal in a week just on diet and walking ? Anyway I’ve contacted GP see what she says

ianf0ster

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
exercise, phone calls
Yes, a drop in finger-prick BG like that can be normal if you are eating in a Low Carb way and getting enough exercise.
It needs neither calorie reduction nor huge amounts of exercise for that to happen in most people.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So in space of week I’ve gone from a 16.5 fasting blood test. To reading just took pre meal of 5.5 ? Is that normal in a week just on diet and walking ? Anyway I’ve contacted GP see what she says

blood glucose levels fluctuate significantly throughout the day, as we eat, drink, move around and exercise.
The numbers you mention are definitely possible.