Pre Pregnancy Planning

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I would like to find out how common pre pregnancy planning clinics are? Would love children but find the process very daunting! I don’t no anyone personally with my condition that has had children. How easy was conceiving with type 1? I have PCOS and in Metformin

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I would like to find out how common pre pregnancy planning clinics are? Would love children but find the process very daunting! I don’t no anyone personally with my condition that has had children. How easy was conceiving with type 1? I have PCOS and in Metformin

I don't think conceiving is any harder for someone with T1 than for someone without. Some people do it easily, others don't. Things may be more difficult for you because of your PCOS, I think that this is likely to be more significant for you than the T1, at least as far as getting pregnamt.

These days the technology to help with T1 pregnancies is awesome. Continuous glucose monitors allow you to take better control of your diabetes than ever before and there is no reason to avoid pregnancy because of your T1.

Having said all that, it's worth getting your hba1c down before you get pregnant, just to minimise the chance of congenital issues. (Remember that many non diabetics have pregnancies that don't proceed to term, so if you have a miscarriage it doesn't mean that you've done everything wrong.)

Good luck.

Reactions: xxrubywxx_

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't think conceiving is any harder for someone with T1 than for someone without. Some people do it easily, others don't. Things may be more difficult for you because of your PCOS, I think that this is likely to be more significant for you than the T1, at least as far as getting pregnamt.

These days the technology to help with T1 pregnancies is awesome. Continuous glucose monitors allow you to take better control of your diabetes than ever before and there is no reason to avoid pregnancy because of your T1.

Having said all that, it's worth getting your hba1c down before you get pregnant, just to minimise the chance of congenital issues. (Remember that many non diabetics have pregnancies that don't proceed to term, so if you have a miscarriage it doesn't mean that you've done everything wrong.)

Good luck.

Thanks for this it’s really helped

Wooly123

I wasn’t able to get to a pre conception clinic as they told me it isn’t considered urgent but I was working on lowering my glucose levels on my own and started self funding the Libre 2. My hba1c was 7.3 in January and I stopped taking the pill also in January. I found out I was pregnant on 9th March but sadly miscarried last Wednesday. It was my first ever pregnancy and I’m 32. So I would say conceiving was very easy in my case but I can only assume this was just an unfortunate thing. Doctors and nurses have told me that my diabetes isn’t the reason I miscarried. They also said that diabetes isn’t linked to fertility or how long it will take to get pregnant again.

Hope that helps x

xxrubywxx_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I wasn’t able to get to a pre conception clinic as they told me it isn’t considered urgent but I was working on lowering my glucose levels on my own and started self funding the Libre 2. My hba1c was 7.3 in January and I stopped taking the pill also in January. I found out I was pregnant on 9th March but sadly miscarried last Wednesday. It was my first ever pregnancy and I’m 32. So I would say conceiving was very easy in my case but I can only assume this was just an unfortunate thing. Doctors and nurses have told me that my diabetes isn’t the reason I miscarried. They also said that diabetes isn’t linked to fertility or how long it will take to get pregnant again.

Hope that helps x

I’m really sorry to hear that you miscarried I hope your doing ok? Thank for sharing and opening up about this in order to help others too!

I have libre too. I hope to try and conceive sometime next year so I would like to try and get my hba1c down and consistent before then.

All this info has really helped thank you again

Wooly123

I am ok, it was really difficult last week. I had only known I was pregnant for a week but I was so happy. It just wasn’t meant to be right now for us.

I wish you the best with your journey.

Reactions: xxrubywxx_