Low sugars while wearing a mask

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello, I haven’t posted on here for ages. I’d appreciate your thoughts please, the incident below has left me worried about going out again.

a little background, I have been shielding for a year, but having had my vaccine 4 weeks ago, I decided to venture out.

While shopping in Costco (I know they are super strict about mask wearing)a few days ago, I began to feel a little wobbly as my sugars dropped. I found a quiet corner lowered my mask to have a few sips of juice as I knew I had to drive home. A member of staff approached me, stood closer than 2 metres and told me I had to wear a mask ( it was back on by then, and had literally been off 10 seconds) I explained I was diabetic and my blood sugars were low etc. He shrugged his shoulders at me and said I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink In store. As I tried to walk away, every time I took a step he took a step closer. I found it rather uncomfortable.
I have complained to the store and there response was that he was a duty manager and if I wasn’t able to shop there, I should have got someone else to shop there for me.
Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

Last edited:

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Complain higher than the shop itself, contact the actual company, you were in a medical emergency and you are allowed to take off your mask to treat them, /i wouldn't stand for that at all xx

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi Emma, you have my upmost sympathy, as I too had a really unpleasant experience in Tesco after going low, I managed to make my way outside to find the first bench to sit on and treat my hypo but still had to endure a run in with a woman who thought I was in the way whilst sat on the bench... I burst into tears but I think that was more to do with the stress of the situation and feeling very vulnerable at the time (am sure if Tesco felt the bench was in the way then it would of been closed off).

The way you have been treated by a member of staff (regardless of title or role) is wholly unacceptable, yes it does need addressing, you were not a threat and had found a quiet corner to treat your hypo, but he did not have to invade your space or speak to you like this, as Kaylz has said it is a medical emergency, would they prefer to be phoning an ambulance for you or allowing you to safely treat your hypo out of harm's way - it was a very poor response from Costco and sounds like a brush off, contact head office.

Reactions: Emmasndco

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
Hi Emma,

That's absolutely shocking. As other have said get in touch with Costco Head Office. I would not be at all surprised if the way that you were treated by the company was unlawful under the terms of the Equality Act 2010. The staff in the shop should have had training on how to deal appropriately with your sort of situation under the social distancing regulations.

Best of luck, give 'em hell!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you don't get a satisfactory response, take to social media and go public, most big companies hate the bad publicity and will suddenly fall over backward to try and resolve it

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He shrugged his shoulders at me and said I wasn’t allowed to eat or drink In store

Who the heck does he think he is! So the alternative then would be for him to call an ambulance whilst you are busy stretched out on the floor having gone into a coma or fainted? (I know you're not on insulin but the principle is still the same). Or if a person falls over and hits their head, he can simply get away with 'You're not allowed to hit your head in here, get out', 'asthma attack??, sorry you can't use your inhaler in here'. It really is common sense, anybody having an illness in the store is entitled to respect and sympathy. He's lucky you're not like the rest of us, he would have got a mouthful and I believe I might actually have slumped to one side just for the fun of it!!! x

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I had a panic attack in asda a because there was no security on the door or they never limited the number of people in the store, back then, face masks were not compulsory, and most people didn't believe that this pandemic was as deadly as it has turned out. The queues for the tills were long and no organisation at all, I still have a lot of fears about going into asda a, and do my big shop on line.

Reactions: Emmasndco and Oompa

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
After a confrontation like that, I very much doubt he'd have enjoyed my social distance ....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think his behaviour was appalling, He sounds like a right bully trying to intimidate you by following you like that.

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
How awful @Emmasndco

I agree with @lessci
Twitter it.

With all the for & against masks that could get hundreds of replies.
You only want the one, and a post like that would be hard to ignore by any large company

@KK123 absolutely nails it.
For you it WAS a potential emergency,
Much as an asthmatic, etc.

Such a lack of basic empathy.
So sorry it made you feel so wretched.

And @Lamont D Distressing.
I got that early last year, so your not alone.

Had more then one or two run ins about what 2 metres looks like :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Emmasndco

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your replies and support, it is very much appreciated. I replied to Costco’s email yesterday early evening. I will let you know what they reply with. If I don’t get a satisfactory reply, I will take to Twitter. @Mike d
I did get upset and lose my cool a little. Even with me in tears, all he could say was wear your mask.

Reactions: jjraak

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you all for your replies and support, it is very much appreciated. I replied to Costco’s email yesterday early evening. I will let you know what they reply with. If I don’t get a satisfactory reply, I will take to Twitter. @Mike d
I did get upset and lose my cool a little. Even with me in tears, all he could say was wear your mask.
I hope you got a reply and also that it hasn't stopped you exercising your freedom because the more you practise the less anxious you will become! Many shops are very relaxed about mask wearing particularly if you have a drink in hand and I think you were really unlucky that this happened on a first outing. As we come out of lockdown we will all have to get used to going out and about fearlessly though as a type 1 diabetic I completely get the fear of blood sugars dropping when out in public. Good luck and don't darken Costco's doors again if you can help it unless you get a big apology and a voucher!