Needles

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Many of us don't. However, the leaflet says to do so.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If you mean insulin needles, I never used to but when I went on a course they said you really should. Even after one use the needle may become blunt so to protect your skin and minimise lumpy injection sites, etc, change it. If you mean finger prick needles, again you are supposed to but I don't.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Keano100 , do you mean the insulin needles or the lancets to prick your finger with?

corbanwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These are lancets, and you should always change them. It is advised. However I change them every 5 pricks or sometimes 10 pricks if I feel lazy.

Needles for insulin injection are advised to be changed each time. However I don't think everyone does. I change them at the end of the day.

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
Lancets - I'm very lazy to change, wait until they really hurt (i.e., blunt). Pragmatically in 12 years I have had maybe 1 infected finger sampling site that resolved without treatment.

Injection needles - ditto wait until these hurt, typically after 6 or so shots, but also sooner if bent or accidentally brushed against the cap.

IMPORTANT - doesn't mean I advise following my example.

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I dial a new lancet in every pot of 50 strips, I replace the Fast clix cartidge of six lancets every six pots.

UK T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've always been worried about either infection, or scar tissue forming from injecting with a blunt needle, so I change my lancet and needle every time. It is what I have been advised to do over the years at various clinics/courses so doesn't feel unnecessary, but I appreciate many don't do that. I also don't have to pay for lancets so understand if you're left funding it might be a consideration. I have had to reuse a few times when I've been out and used all my spares, but have found reusing needles particularly painful which has always put me off, the close up pictures of blunt needles helps put me off it too!

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It depends which lancet I'm using, the single use one I tend to change every time, the accucheck when it starts to hurt